Old 04-02-2017, 08:55 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 20
Niced 183 Times in 77 Posts
Default MVP N Catalyst, Octane = Axiom ???

What is/are the closest Axiom equivalent(s) to a Neutron Catalyst and Neutron Octane?

I picked up a 168 N Catalyst and 166 N Octane to try, based on my positive experience with the N Tangent. Right off the bat, I clicked with both of them. I'm not consistently getting more distance out of them than I get with my 167 Champ Katanas and 164 Prodigy D3s and D4s, but I'm finding I can throw them on lower lines and with less effort and still get equivalent distance. I'm also finding them more comfortable in the hand, so I'm getting a cleaner, more consistent release. The only problem—and one that will likely keep me from bagging them—is that, due to the black rim and crappy eyesight (20/170 corrected to 20/40), I end up spending a lot of time tramping around looking for them because I lose sight of them when they get out around 300-350' (not a problem with my hot pink Katanas, pink D3s, and white D4s): not that big a deal out on the practice field, but potentially a huge problem on the course if it gets redirected by a tree kick. I'd love to get my hands on an Eclipse Catalyst or Octane, but since they're not available, I'm looking for a close equivalent from Axiom with a pink or white rim, which should take care of the problem.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2017, 09:04 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,136 Times in 583 Posts

Axiom has not released drivers with the Octane class rim width. So there's nothing equivalent.

Yet.

Have you tried the Defy, or Vanish? Those are the only thing even close right now, but they are 21.5mm rims compared to 23mm in the Octane/Catalyst.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 122
Niced 540 Times in 334 Posts

Defy, Insanity and Vanish.

Defy is a bit slower and more overstable than the Octane. While the Octane is a bit understable, the Defy is pretty neutral. Its more of a speed 12 vs speed 13 on the Octane.

Vanish is pretty understable, closest to Catalyst.

Insanity is a little slower than the Vanish, and is in between the Octane and Catalyst when it comes to stability.

The Insanity is one of my favorite molds for long range turnovers and for throwing on steep hyzers and letting it flip to flat for a forward skip.

None of the Axiom molds are as wide rimmed as these MVP drivers.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:20 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1,136 Times in 583 Posts

Honestly, the Trace from Streamline might not be a bad substitute for an Octane either, although it is a tad slower at 21mm. It comes in really bright Neutron colors that will pop on the course. Mine is dayglo and you can't miss it if you tried.