Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 11-22-2018, 02:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.5
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 797 Times in 303 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer93 View Post
I personally witnessed Feldberg and Dave Greenwell butt heads (when Greenwell was still with Innova) big-time at a tourney years ago. I don't think that helped the prodigy decision...
I've always liked Dave but this isn't a surprise.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2018, 02:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 487 Times in 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
I thought Prodigy was more of Phil Arthur's baby.
Add Lavone Wolfe to the founding group.
Old 11-23-2018, 04:20 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,066 Times in 1,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Tuna View Post
What are you hoping to accomplish with this thread? I asking honestly because I can't possibly see the benefit of digging up old drama
In fairness: Paul McBeth leaving Innova for Discraft, followed by Wysocki to Innova and other major changes, is THE biggest DG news in years, and possibly could effect huge changes in the sport. One of the biggest previous changes/shakeups is the Prodigy story. So in that context, its understandable.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:59 PM
Par Member

Niced 160 Times in 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
In fairness: Paul McBeth leaving Innova for Discraft, followed by Wysocki to Innova and other major changes, is THE biggest DG news in years, and possibly could effect huge changes in the sport. One of the biggest previous changes/shakeups is the Prodigy story. So in that context, its understandable.
That's precisely where my curiosity comes from. In his Smashboxx interview Tuesday Paul said that Discraft was so hurt by so many of their players jumping ship to Prodigy that they decided to back away from disc golf for a while and invest that money elsewhere for a while.

That's huge for the pro game. How much Discraft money did the sport miss out on for the last five years? Sponsoring players and tournaments. How much extra market share does Dynamic Discs (for example) have because Discraft backed away? It's all speculative but I think it's interesting to contemplate and maybe learn from. Just like any other type of history.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:28 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 163
Niced 2,226 Times in 1,043 Posts

I completely forgot that Paige was sponsored by Prodigy.

All I remember from the time was it was supposed to be some player's revolution and then a bunch of proto molds came out illegally overweight and mismatched stamps (M2/M3). Even though they don't have all those pros still, they seem to have stabilized as a company. If Schusterick can regain his former self, I think we'll be seeing plenty of Prodigy wins between him and Chris Dickerson next year (and Uli if he stays).
Old 11-23-2018, 07:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,034 Times in 2,150 Posts

They have a good crop of Euro players that could make some noise also...

Niced: (1)
Old 11-23-2018, 08:08 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,066 Times in 1,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post

All I remember from the time was it was supposed to be some player's revolution and then a bunch of proto molds came out illegally overweight and mismatched stamps (M2/M3). Even though they don't have all those pros still, they seem to have stabilized as a company. If Schusterick can regain his former self, I think we'll be seeing plenty of Prodigy wins between him and Chris Dickerson next year (and Uli if he stays).
Who could forget Paige's rancorous divorce from Prodigy?

I thought that might be the last straw for Prodigy, but they've come out with some good discs in great plastics, and are recovering. As you said, a few wins for their MPO (and FPO) players, and they'll be back on the DG map.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:26 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 787
Niced 46 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post

Also Cale with Airborn is a pretty big deal in Minnesota and Wisco

Old 11-23-2018, 08:37 PM

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 15
Niced 10 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosteve View Post
I think Trilogy forming had a bigger impact on the sport. They formed the same time as Prodigy. Eric McCabe and Dave Feldburg both left their sponsors the same offseason that prodigy was created.
I've heard the DGAM guys say numerous times that Trilogy isn't a real company and that its a fan-made up name to encompass DD, Westside and Lat 64.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:17 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 163
Niced 2,226 Times in 1,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
They have a good crop of Euro players that could make some noise also...
Oh yeah, for sure. Seppo Paju is some clutch putting away from being elite tier, if he isn't already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Who could forget Paige's rancorous divorce from Prodigy?

I thought that might be the last straw for Prodigy, but they've come out with some good discs in great plastics, and are recovering. As you said, a few wins for their MPO (and FPO) players, and they'll be back on the DG map.
Uh, well me apparently. For some reason I thought she went from Discraft to Dynamic.