Old 07-28-2019, 10:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,127 Times in 1,411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz58 View Post
Flip City in Shelby Mi. is overrated imho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerico View Post
every course is overrated by locals
Rated 4.84 by 221 Reviewers....
4.83 by 60 Trusted Reviewers.

Which brings me to the only possible conclusion---that there sure are a lot of disc golfers around Shelby MI who travel a lot, play and review a lot of courses, even though they love their home course and could be tempted to stay put. Such an amazing congregation of TRs in one place!
Sponsored Links

Old 07-28-2019, 11:12 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,349 Times in 683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Rated 4.84 by 221 Reviewers....
4.83 by 60 Trusted Reviewers.

Which brings me to the only possible conclusion---that there sure are a lot of disc golfers around Shelby MI who travel a lot, play and review a lot of courses, even though they love their home course and could be tempted to stay put. Such an amazing congregation of TRs in one place!
Claim maker hasn't even played Flip...

Niced: (1)
Old 07-28-2019, 06:02 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.3
Courses Played: 43
Niced 7 Times in 4 Posts

Flip is legit
One of my all time courses to travel to. Days full of great disc golf to and from Flip for us. Flip is the cherry on top and Bill is a cool guy as well. Definitely deserves bucket list status

Old 07-28-2019, 08:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 307
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,070 Times in 1,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
Isn't that like a virgin saying sex is overrated?

Whether someone who's actually played Flip thinks it's overrated or not really depends on what course attributes they value more and what they value less. Flip ain't got good signage, nor amenities. Flip ain't championship level challenge.

But it is brilliant,old school design that's more fun than a barrel full of monkeys. It's all sorts of elevation, and rollaways that make your card laugh/cry. It's paths mowed into tall grassy rough that makes finding your disc a snap. It's a variety of shots perfectly tailored to be a fun round for a very wide range of players.

...and all this discussion did is make me want to play it again!

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 07-28-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 116
Niced 210 Times in 84 Posts
Default Flip City

I just can't even imagine keeping a private course open for 40 years. That alone gets it in the top ten for me.

Old 07-29-2019, 03:33 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 58
Niced 234 Times in 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
You know, that's not a bad signature. On the Flip side, "The Claim Maker" isn't a bad nickname to have under your Avatar.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:40 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 58
Niced 234 Times in 138 Posts

Of course its not as good as "Supreme Disc Golf Authority", but what is?

Niced: (2)
Old 08-04-2019, 07:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 192
Niced 1,635 Times in 951 Posts

brp out of top 10

wut happened
Old 08-04-2019, 07:26 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 297
Niced 66 Times in 31 Posts

It's not that good ooohhhhh!����

Old 08-20-2019, 09:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 183
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 665 Times in 441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Idlewild moved back ahead of Harmon...

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/revie...mode=rev#81134
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsbranch250 View Post
for those that have played both... i wonder what the tallies would be as the favorite of the two.

my money would be on idlewild, even though i havent played it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Never played Harmon and don't see it happening anytime soon with my shoulder. Idlewild is just gnarly but for the most part, the fairways are fair. Only a couple holes are really spray and pray type shots and then if you think about the time in which the course was built, it was a different sport almost. I think the tbird came out right around the same time for reference. It was meant to challenge shot shaping and the ability to throw point to point. It is set up like a ball golf course sort of in that way.

The letter holes almost detract from the original course and it wouldn't surprise me if there were a couple 4.5's because of them. Sounds like Harmon might suffer from the same problem?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.chainslove View Post
I think the latest reviewer caught Harmon on a bad maintenance day. I've played it 4 times throughout the last few years and it's been in fairly good conditions during my rounds. However in the last few years, I do think Idlewild has been on the upswing (new baskets, signs, tree work, gravel paths, etc) while Harmon has been deteriorating a little. They need new baskets, signs, and some teepad upgrades to stay in the top 10. One thing no review has touched on lately is the tone-pole tiki course in the woods off hole 11. I realize it's been a work in progress but it's a really cool addition but there aren't any signs to help a traveling player locate the start (or once in, even navigate it).
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcAtee View Post
As it should. I once gave Harmon Hills an honest good 4 disc review and it was immediately down voted by a ton of people and followed up with a ton of short 5 disc reviews to move it back to it's spot in the top 10. I enjoyed the course, but it's not top 10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Harmon: While I think 1-18 are better than 19-27, I have to say that 19-27, while unspectacular, are significantly tighter, and more technical. IMO, they add variety isn't present in #'s 1-18, which is a positive. They're also much harder to navigate, which isn't that hard to address, but to my knowledge, they simply haven't.

FWIW, I was lucky enough to play shortly after a tournament, so everything was about as nice as you could possibly hope for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsbranch250 View Post
I was also at Harmon right before a sizable gathering. The first 18 was all nice and trimmed up. 19-27 not so much. However, the raw element of the lines on the final 9 provided something different over the first 18. I'm no longer surprised that wooded hilly course by this time in June are having overgrowth getting away a bit. I'm working on putting in 9 holes in my mountainous backyard and cant keep up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerealman View Post
I had this experience too, GM.

And I agree; Harmon Hills is not top 10.

I've played Idlewild and HH multiple times. Both are fun. For me, Idlewild definitely has the edge. And it's not even that close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by discNDav View Post
I've played both Harmon (once) and Idlewild (3 times). Both have a few "too tight" holes for my liking, both have some truly great holes. Idlewild can be more of a beat down, Harmon is more fun to play although if I could choose 18 of the 24 at IW it'd be 5 star course immediately. I'd didn't care for most of 19-27 at HH, long and straight tee shots, rinse and repeat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrembo View Post
Harmon could possibly be more widely viewed as a top ten course if it were "spruced" up a little bit so too speak. I have it on my top ten, but behind Hobbs Farm, Langley Pond and N Georgia Canopy Tours and with the IDGC courses nipping at its heels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post
I had a blast playing both Idlewild and Harmon Hills. Each is an outstanding course, and each has different aspects that appealed to me. I did have the good fortune to play Harmon Hills just before a big tourney, so it was in pristine condition.

When ratings are separated by hundredths of a point or less, personal preference is going to be a much larger factor than whether the last reviewer's score was a little higher or a little lower than average. IMO, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtwinnova View Post
As someone who has played both as well as many other courses rated highly, I have to agree with most saying that Idlewild is better than HH. In my head, I usually rate private courses a tick higher due to my respect for the owners, and also put less weight on amenities and upkeep. The golf at both courses is still fantastic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake833 View Post
I'm going to go against the grain and side with Harmon Hills. I've played it twice so far, will again this summer, and even both of them in the same week. Harmon has some holes I don't really care for, but many more memorable holes that I want to play again. That says something to me. Maybe if I look at Idlewild again I'll remember some more holes, but I can off-hand think of half a dozen great Harmon holes I can't wait to get back on the tee for.
I'm resurrecting a topic from a few months ago. But I just managed to go play Harmon this past weekend, and I enjoyed it tremendously. At the same time, it seemed to lack some of the extra "oomph" that I'd expect in a top 10 course. I haven't played Idlewild, but I felt both Deer Lakes and Moraine (both in top 20) were stronger courses. Video of Idlewild gives me the impression that it has that extra something.

Maintenance at HH was good, and there were temporary tee signs on 1-18, with hole maps, that greatly enhanced the playing experience. I think my only knock on the course is that some of the par 4s seemed a little soft. That said, I definitely didn't have a birdie fest or anything. I had lots of fun and it's a course I'd love to get back to. But it wouldn't get a 5 from me, even though I'm a fairly generous reviewer.

PS: speaking of tee signs, does someone have access to those maps? Could we get them uploaded in pdf form?