Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 37 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJB View Post
Well consider me your source then! 350 to 380 is me to a "T"
I have a VIP and a TP Catapult coming in from Infinite. Should arrive tomorrow. I have a variety of Giants I will throw it against and let you know.

I didn't try the Giant forever because I was intimidated by both it's speed and supposed overstability. When I actually started throwing them, I realized it wasn't nearly as OS as Westside made it out to be. Hopefully the Catapult is the same way. I don't have a noodle arm, but I do have T-Rex arms so it is entirely possible that to get the Catapult to perform properly, it will need to get up to a speed that I cannot.

Come tomorrow, I'll find out for sure!
anyone chuck these things yet? was hoping to hear back about what ballpark the stability is in before I ordered, but so far, crickets...

edit : t-rex arms is rad. I cannot stop thinking about trying to x-step with t-rex arms now.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2016, 07:45 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 10
Niced 17 Times in 11 Posts

So I had the pleasure of winning two tp catapults at a tourny recently. I got out yesterday to a local football field and threw a ton of shots with my two (red 175g and blue 172g)

*disclaimer* I throw with 475+ ft power

these discs are very comfortable in the hand. The rim feels large, but controllable. It doesnt feel like a giant depth wise, more shallow, like an enforcer. Overall, I had no problems or issues with grip or handfeel.

Now into how they flew for me. Westside rates these as 14, 5, 0, 3. After many throws, I would rate these as 14, 5, -1.5, 2.75. Right out of the box, these turned for me when thrown flat and hard. I was able to hyzer flip them and still have them pan to the right, but come back at the end.

That being said, these need height to get their full flight. They rely on speed to get initial distance, but once they slow down, I could really see how the glide kept the catapult in the air. These discs have huge distance potential, but I would not throw them into any sort of headwind.

Tl;dr the tp catapult is a fast and glidey driver with noticable turn and fade right out of the box, leading to huge, but controllable, distance potential.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:13 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 4
Niced 202 Times in 141 Posts

And you have been playing for 1.5 years?
Old 03-21-2016, 01:53 PM
Eagle Member

I dont know how far that guy throws, but he's not wrong. And based on my experience he's probably throwing about that.

I throw 380-400 and I put these out flat, see some flex and mild fade back to finish overall pretty much straight. I was throwing pretty well (for me...) and hitting ~400 on good releases.

If I put a hyzer on these I'd need more power to get the flex line. They do carry like mad even on hyzer lines though.

Long story short, I ordered a bunch of VIPs in the same color and weight and the Catapult is my new go-to distance driver.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:22 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 12 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Eater View Post
Long story short, I ordered a bunch of VIPs in the same color and weight and the Catapult is my new go-to distance driver.
I throw maybe 375' and can fully agree with what you said above.

I have a 168g TP and on a full rip will get nice bit of flex. I've been throwing Kings for max D and they are still longer. The Catapult is just so much more predictable and wont lose too much in distance, so it will be a close call.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 177
Niced 116 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaques View Post

I have a 168g TP and on a full rip will get nice bit of flex. I've been throwing Kings for max D and they are still longer. The Catapult is just so much more predictable and wont lose too much in distance, so it will be a close call.
With Trespasses I max out between 380 to 410. A month ago I tested out the Opto Ballista which instantly added about 20 or more feet to my drives. I was routinely pushing 410 to 440. However, we are talking winter air, so I was still leery about what they would do once I get better footing and cleaner, warmer air. Would they become flipping and or unpredictable? For too many reasons to explain here, I like to throw flat and have the disc do the work.

I was already starting to see some unpredictability in some of my Ballistas. My tournament set-up is mostly white just because I want to be snobbish like that, but my practice discs were ranging from yellow to red. The opaque yellow was almost perfect; it had some turn but no real flip even when thrown at power and level. It was easily by far the furthest disc I throw with regularity. However, both my semi-opaque red and clear red were instant flip machines. I had no control with them, especially if there was any wind that was not a tailwind. My clear blue was also very touchy, albeit a little better.

As much as I was getting extra distance, which is surprisingly important at my local courses because of all the 400-440 foot big holes we have here, I did not want to go into the tournament season not knowing what my white Ballistas would do. And even if they were good discs, unless I completely stockpile whites and opaque yellows, I will not have that many to practice with that will match what I want to throw when the stakes are on the line. Frost Ballistas were not a good option because they dumped too quick, often sawing themselves off at the same distance as I was getting before.

So I turned to the Catapults before I give up completely and go back to the Trespasses. The first one I got was a VIP opaque yellow 174. While it is not my tournament color scheme, I have always had great luck with Trilogy's opaque yellow. They are definitely longer than my Trespasses, but they are still shorter than the Ballista. This mainly comes from that they turn less at level power, thus the fade is not as forward as the Ballista. We are talking about 10-15 shorter. What has me concerned about the Catapults, and this is more operator error than anything else, is that I will try to compensate the tick less turn by giving it a little anhyzer. I am not sure why, but within the last two to three years, my max distance anhyzer has all but disappeared, instead being replaced with overtorquing and or griplocks. When this happens, the Catapult is notorious for riding that anhyzer all the way into the ground instead of flexing out. I have had numerous throws find the ground short of 300 feet because of this.

So, I picked up several Tournament Catapults within the last week and the plan is to get them to turn a little by simply seasoning them. I overall like the disc when it comes out right because it is far more tolerant of the wind than the Ballistas, meaning that I can throw them more instead of just giving up and depending on my Thunderbirds to get respectable distance, but not necessarily all I wanted. The true test to see if my Catapults are going to work for me is when Elm Creek opens up. Almost all of the holes, for better or worse, are of the 400-440 foot variety. I can think of six holes where an extra 20-30 feet can reduce the score by one throw each, whether it being a putt versus an approach, or a longer approach versus something considerably more manageable.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:01 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Smooth View Post

And you have been playing for 1.5 years?
Yes. You don't need to play for a long time to be able to throw far. I have a video of my form posted in the form... Forum... Feel free to check it out. Ive put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into perfecting it.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:48 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 12 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by InWaves View Post
Yes. You don't need to play for a long time to be able to throw far. I have a video of my form posted in the form... Forum... Feel free to check it out. Ive put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into perfecting it.
Sorry if I gets too personal, but did you really throw 937 rated round as your first competitive round after only few months of playing?!

I do like your form, so anything is possible.

Quote:

I have a 168g TP and on a full rip will get nice bit of flex.
Well that went south fast. Yesterday I was throwing it again and even in the mildest headwind I would flip it over. In the calm weather it would still turn quite a bit and end up back at the center line.

I like throwing a bit lighter drivers so that will always be a factor, I'm just wondering how much more stable the VIP would be.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:32 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Sorry if I gets too personal, but did you really throw 937 rated round as your first competitive round after only few months of playing?!

I do like your form, so anything is possible.

Well that went south fast. Yesterday I was throwing it again and even in the mildest headwind I would flip it over. In the calm weather it would still turn quite a bit and end up back at the center line.

I like throwing a bit lighter drivers so that will always be a factor, I'm just wondering how much more stable the VIP would be.
Yeah, I guess so... My badly rates rounds kinda balance out my good ones haha but im hoping to change that with more consistent putting

And yeah, like I said, I wouldnt trust the catapult in even the slightest of headwinds. I feel like the VIP would fly similar to a semi beat giant

Old 03-23-2016, 02:21 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InWaves View Post
Yeah, I guess so... My badly rates rounds kinda balance out my good ones haha but im hoping to change that with more consistent putting

And yeah, like I said, I wouldnt trust the catapult in even the slightest of headwinds. I feel like the VIP would fly similar to a semi beat giant
That is exactly what my VIPs fly like. Worked in Giants.

I should spend more time with my TP Catapult - I didnt think it was too far off the VIPs for stability but I loved the tack on this run of VIP catapults (Really nice and grippy), so I only threw the TP once.

IMO anything that has any turn at high speed on a normal day is going to be unpredictable in the wind. A disc's effective speed = headwind + your throwing speed. 20 MPH head wind and all of the sudden your disc is traveling Lizotte speed, but without his clean form...

I have some flat moonshine enforcers that I picked up a while ago that are my go-to wind drivers. Unless I'm throwing in a hurricane and then I'll throw the Stiletto for max predictability.