Niced 131 Times in 98 Posts

The new dds have all been super os, ddx is much less stable
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2017, 11:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 177
Niced 116 Times in 72 Posts

I need to hit the right line and everything to get my S-DD past 370, so I mainly use it for controlled maximum distance shots when wind is present. The G-DD are considerably straighter, but I still only use them on select shots.

I have both the S-DDx and C in the bag. Both are for either effortless throws up to 375, or trying to max out at 390-415. The S has considerable turn, almost flip, and is no good from elevation or into a wind. Yet when the conditions are correct, it gets about 5-10 more feet than the C. The C, however, does not need ideal conditions to bomb, and can take a little mistake in the form when going all out.

It is all going to come down to form. I max out at 390-415; it is more from core power and arm speed, and not as much snap as I would like. I am sure someone who snaps harder than I do will find the DDx less stable (at least the S) than I give it credit for.

Also, I have three PDx that I picked up with the intention of throwing. I only have limited throws on them, but they seem to hold straighter lines longer but fade harder than the DD. For the role I need the DD for, the PDx may be a winner. Now if only I can find one in white or black because I am a color snob.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:28 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 15
Niced 59 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wims View Post
The DD is the Wraith bottom with the Anhyzer top
I've read that in multiple places, but I put them next to each other and the rims just don't have the same shape. I don't get it.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:33 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 15
Niced 59 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
You feel like the PD is a speed 9 because that is what it is. A 1.9 rim should always be called speed 9.
Speed can't be purely defined by wing width, though. The Nuke is a 2.5 but no one calls it a speed 15 driver. Speed is a relative term made up by Innova to describe the nature of a disc. Personally, I find the thunderbird to be a true speed 9, and the PD flies faster than it for me. Same wing width, different results.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:09 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 10 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkimbertx View Post
I've read that in multiple places, but I put them next to each other and the rims just don't have the same shape. I don't get it.
The DD definitely has a Wraith wing. The first runs have AW marked on the back which stands for Anhyzer top and Wraith bottom. The wing shape can vary depending how a disc forms and cools etc..

I have thrown both of these discs but have less experience with the DDX. To me the DDX can definitely bomb but is more finicky. Too much anhyzer and it will not come back. Too much hyzer and it will not flatten out or turn. I kind of gave up on learning it because other drivers are more reliable and consistent for me. The grip on the inside rim is also very shallow like a Tern. The DDX can be thrown sidearm but requires more finesse. The DD has a much more usable stability and flight for my throwing style since it can easily be thrown backhand and sidearm.

Last edited by BB53641; 03-26-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:39 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 163
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,226 Times in 1,043 Posts

In MVP flight similarities I have two C DDx's. The green one is very HSS, easy to throw straight and reliably fades, like a heavy Wave or light Photon. The hot pink one is not as HSS and flies more like a typical Wave, maybe with more LSS.

I love the green one, it's perfectly slotted between my mellow Giant and flippy King and probably the best straight to fade driver of that speed I've thrown. I don't like the pink one as much but it still flies great, like a seasoned S-PD.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:43 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 10 Times in 6 Posts

I forgot to specify my experience with the DDX has only been in S line. The C line is supposedly more stable.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 497 Times in 265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkimbertx View Post
Speed can't be purely defined by wing width, though. The Nuke is a 2.5 but no one calls it a speed 15 driver. Speed is a relative term made up by Innova to describe the nature of a disc. Personally, I find the thunderbird to be a true speed 9, and the PD flies faster than it for me. Same wing width, different results.
It can and should be purely defined by wing width. If at all possible the stat should be tied to some definable characteristic of the disc. Otherwise is is purely marketing bluster.

Also, more as speculation based on my canoeing experience, I am willing to bet that wing width is directly attributable to max speed more than anything else.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 177
Niced 116 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB53641 View Post
I forgot to specify my experience with the DDX has only been in S line. The C line is supposedly more stable.
Confirmed. I carry both because there is a big enough difference to not have too much overlap.

Old 04-15-2018, 02:46 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.1
Courses Played: 65
Niced 579 Times in 282 Posts

In the wraith thread I was recommended the Discmania DD as an overstable counterpart to the straight stable star wraiths currently available. As a conscientious poster I deign to clutter that thread with off topic talk so I’ll pose my question here:

Are S line DD’s flat topped or particularly domed?