Old 07-03-2017, 04:43 PM
Par Member

Niced 20 Times in 15 Posts
Default Backhand technique help

Hey,

got addicted to this amazing sport couple months ago and been working on my bachand form since then.

At first progress was fast but lately been pretty much stuck to what it is. From video I noticed that my front foot points too much to target when I plant it which opens up my hips. Think I somehow try to secure knee or something unintentionally. Tips to fix that and everything else would be great to get, thanks in advance!

https://youtu.be/47rb5FmCn1g
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2017, 07:48 PM

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

You are planting a little open. More importantly, though, you are not bracing at all off your front leg and your upper body is coming through pretty early.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,683 Times in 1,671 Posts

Yeah you are turning open before you brace and shifting your weight from in front of you, instead of planting closed and shifting or catching your weight from behind you. It should feel very weird fixing and being in dynamic balance.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=127477
Old 08-18-2017, 03:20 PM
Par Member

Default 20170818

Thanks for that bracing tip, I hadn't even heard of it before this. Been lately trying to incorporate it into my throws, should do way more field work instead of playing rounds...

Recorded one of my throws today and noticed my hips are still open (both toes facing outwards), guess this is what I should fix first atleast? Somehow still fear for my knee and I believe that is main reason why plant foot is open. What goes to left leg, that is probably something I can fix by focusing on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcPJ5EF6rAo

People also speak alot about "power pocket" and that is also something I don't seem to get anywhere near right. I feel like theres more of that "rounding" in my release.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Turn your phone sideways and frame yourself closer in the video, you are only like 2 inches tall on my 26" monitor especially when filming phone vertical.

You can't really create much space for a power pocket unless you plant closed, your front shoulder is barely turned back when you plant(really barely even turns back at all) and you also land flat footed on your heel first instead of your toes. Your upper arm appears to be hugging your chest/elbow not out leading forward with closed shoulder. When you turn your body/shoulders further back, you will need to widen your upper arm/elbow out away from your chest to keep the arm/disc in straight line to target. This will feel very weird and like there is no power you can generate, but you have to trust it and try it and prepare to be amazed. The Door Frame Drill should pull your arm out wider as your shoulder gets pulled further back as you go into the plant leading with your butt/weight. The door frame should turn your body/shoulders much further back.

Not sure what your fear is with your knee - previous injury or current injury? I've found less stress in the knee with a more closed stance which allows you to catch yourself more upright in balance/posture dynamically and "from behind you". You should be able to jump laterally back and forth between your two feet quickly without fear - this is bracing. Also work on slowing everything down, which should help your fear of injury. Do some Crush the Can drills - just crush the can with a one or two inch movement, don't try to rotate or swing, just crush the can and stay closed/butt and back facing target, this is only a drill for a very specific thing before the swing even happens - or well it initiates or triggers the swing chain reaction.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:41 AM
Par Member

Mostly just played rounds lately and feel like I've just taken steps back. Did some field training today and took one video, sorry about the quality and editing...

After watching this, think I finally understood what you meant with "Your upper arm appears to be hugging your chest/elbow not out leading forward with closed shoulder.", that Dan Beto drill could probably help me with this? At some point I tried it but it feels like I don't get any speed to the disc that way, probably doing something wrong or then I just have weak arm?

"Not sure what your fear is with your knee - previous injury or current injury?" No previous injuries to the knee, just been having some aches to it after playing much which kinda freaked me out. Feel like I get the plant bit more closed now, but should be more I guess. Have to continue with crush the can tip you gave me.

That door frame drill I don't understand, should I try to reach more back than I do now? Think I have to stretch more.

Gotta say this is by far the hardest thing I've been trying to learn ever, guess that's why it's so much fun. Thanks for help in advance!

Ps. Will try to get better videos sometime, filming with phone ontop of my bag is kinda tricky.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:57 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 297 Times in 179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepi View Post
Ps. Will try to get better videos sometime, filming with phone ontop of my bag is kinda tricky.

HUB suggested this a while back: Use rubber bands and a stake/pole to improvise a tripod. A 4 foot section of PVC should work
Old 10-05-2017, 02:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Whoa, looks like you are trying to keep your head down. Keep your head up! Head should be balanced and stacked dynamically upright in athletic posture over shoulders over hips over legs. You completely change your tilted spiral axis during the throw.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:53 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFrance View Post
HUB suggested this a while back: Use rubber bands and a stake/pole to improvise a tripod. A 4 foot section of PVC should work
Thanks for the idea! Tweaked it a bit and took our broomshaft for this use, didn't get to use it today tho, final product:
https://imgur.com/a88Qzw1

Bet my GF is proud of me when she comes home!

Think I picked that head down part from one of Feldberg's clinic videos, it felt akward.

"You completely change your tilted spiral axis during the throw."

Think this explains why I've been turning over some of my shots so bad. Been lately focusing on this, not sure if it's any better atm tho.

Yesterday I finally realised how that bracing should feel, not in the disc golf swing but bandy hit. It's a sport that most haven't heard of, but to make it sort, it involves striking of ball from the ground with a club. I can hit, or atleast could hit it pretty damn hard back when I played actively and started to go through the motion to understand why I can smash that but not the disc.

That's where the feeling of all my weight against the leading leg hit me. It feels very simple but transfering that same feeling to disc throw is gonna take some hours. Tried it today while I was doing some putting training and this is how it looked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoMfQ56x8HA

Have to take one from the side next time.

I'm still not leading my shot with the elbow right and have no idea how to fix that. That Dan Beto drill isn't really clicking for me, any ideas?

Thanks in advance, really appreciate the time you are putting in to help others.

Last edited by Tepi; 10-25-2017 at 11:56 AM.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:02 PM
* Ace Member *

That is looking better. If you are looking at yourself from the side of the tee, looking in a mirror, your chin should slightly lead your nose forward, this should happen due to shifting the lower spine forward underneath your head to the braced front leg, so your lower spine is leading the upper spine/head forward and will create a little backward spine tilt away the target. This may feel a bit weird, like a reverse pivot/weightshift, but it is not a reverse pivot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zByUYQnVdY&t=158s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxnhM5amro0&t=74s