Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 08-28-2017, 12:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 661 Times in 521 Posts
Default Axiom and MVP- attention grabbing discs

I've thrown a couple different MVP/Axiom drivers lately. I'm noticing that they fly exceptionally well......

Did a small sampling of distance drivers today. Axiom Vanish, Star Orc, Champion Wraith, G* Tern, Nuke SS, Star Boss.

The Vanish kicked the crap out of all these discs for distance..... by 50' on one freakish throw. It flies low, fast (I'd say 13 speed) and glides exceptionally well. Has some high speed turn, but generally won't flip all the way over. The G* Tern was second best, but at times it was a pretty distant second.

I would assume the discs' technology is responsible for the huge distance potential. Obviously no other brand makes discs that way. I've also thrown an MVP Wave. It was a little squirly and flippy, but had enormous distance on the throws I was able to keep it flat.

I guess my whole point in making this thread is that I can totally see these discs being the best distance bombers on the market right now. I may not even own another disc that could consistently match the Vanish for sheer distance capability.

Anyone else bombing with these things? Now that I've thrown a couple models I've decided I like these discs.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2017, 01:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 194
Niced 1,651 Times in 963 Posts

keep activating the gyro....wait you did activate it right?
Old 08-28-2017, 06:40 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 68 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
keep activating the gyro....wait you did activate it right?
pretry sure the directioms said:
"open pouch, pour into container, mix"

Niced: (1)
Old 08-28-2017, 11:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 177
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 137 Times in 85 Posts

OP- how far were you ripping these?
Old 08-28-2017, 01:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 569 Times in 417 Posts

They do make some good discs for sure.

If its just the distance you're concerned with ALL that depends. on a LOT. For me the furthest flying I've thrown is the Axiom Mayhem, it has a nice turn with power but not flippy at all it will come back, the Octane is a bomber too like a worn Star Destroyer, but its plenty Stable - So Octane is $. I guess the Teleport is a bomber but really wide rimmed so, idk, pure distance I find the mayhem a bomber. But the straight control discs are what sold me on gyro. Atom, Alias, $$$

Niced: (1)
Old 08-28-2017, 03:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdiv48 View Post
OP- how far were you ripping these?
I got that Vanish out to a solid 450'... which is about the absolute furthest I can throw. Thing is, it didn't feel like a total fluke and it felt like I could do it again.

A little more practice with it and I could probably get it even further.

Most of my drives with other discs average 400', give or take 25'.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasOrion View Post
They do make some good discs for sure.

If its just the distance you're concerned with ALL that depends. on a LOT. For me the furthest flying I've thrown is the Axiom Mayhem, it has a nice turn with power but not flippy at all it will come back, the Octane is a bomber too like a worn Star Destroyer, but its plenty Stable - So Octane is $. I guess the Teleport is a bomber but really wide rimmed so, idk, pure distance I find the mayhem a bomber. But the straight control discs are what sold me on gyro. Atom, Alias, $$$
Yeah, I'd be curious to try some other discs from these companies. No serious learning curve either. I was throwing them hard and far quickly. They were easy to learn.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,566 Times in 1,636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
Yeah, I'd be curious to try some other discs from these companies. No serious learning curve either. I was throwing them hard and far quickly. They were easy to learn.
I am with ThomasOrion, their slow/straight discs are awesome. So much HSS and ability to take clean power, but not the fade to go with it. The only MVP stuff I have is their putters, but all the putters/straight mids I have tried from them go really, really straight.

This makes me want to try a couple of their drivers though. In the past when I've tried them they were fine, but nothing that made me need to go buy more discs. I'm open to any companies though, doesn't matter to me if the discs are one or two piece if they fly good.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:39 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 494 Times in 265 Posts

My "bomber" is an axiom insanity. I can only go ~330 on a good pull though. But my bag is nearly all gyro at this point.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
I am with ThomasOrion, their slow/straight discs are awesome. So much HSS and ability to take clean power, but not the fade to go with it. The only MVP stuff I have is their putters, but all the putters/straight mids I have tried from them go really, really straight.

This makes me want to try a couple of their drivers though. In the past when I've tried them they were fine, but nothing that made me need to go buy more discs. I'm open to any companies though, doesn't matter to me if the discs are one or two piece if they fly good.
I'd say the Vanish flies like a Tern, but a tick faster and longer. When I get more time I'll take the Vanish back out against my other longest discs (Destiny, Shryke, etc) and see what happens. I can say now I'm going to have a hard time finding anything to continually beat the Vanish for distance.

I'd be curious to try some MVP/Axiom 13-14 speed discs.