Old 03-18-2019, 06:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,178 Times in 692 Posts
Default Non US players on the pro tour.

How hard is it for a European player to play the US Pro tour?

I Know that Seppo will play most of the tour this year.
But most of the Finnish pros will only play a few tournaments.

If we look at Eveliina, No.3 in the FPO World rankings and one of the best FPO players Innova have.
Eveliina has played two big tournaments in the US this year and she wants to play worlds if possible.
For me it feels strange that Innova cant help a player like Eveliina to play more, especially after her win at Memorial.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 03-18-2019, 02:15 PM
Independent Operator*

Years Playing: 23.1
Courses Played: 517
Niced 656 Times in 236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
How hard is it for a European player to play the US Pro tour?

I Know that Seppo will play most of the tour this year.
But most of the Finnish pros will only play a few tournaments.

If we look at Eveliina, No.3 in the FPO World rankings and one of the best FPO players Innova have.
Eveliina has played two big tournaments in the US this year and she wants to play worlds if possible.
For me it feels strange that Innova cant help a player like Eveliina to play more, especially after her win at Memorial.

Eveliina earns CASH from the sales of her Innova Champion Team Series Shryke to help her tour. Eveliina is the sole decision maker in how she uses the cash that she earns. If Eveliina prefers to spend the extra money touring Europe instead of the United States that is her decision to make. Innova Europe is also supporting Eveliina with Tour Series discs available through the Innova Store in Europe.

If you want to help Eveliina tour, please show your support by purchasing one of her discs. These discs are only available in Europe: https://www.innovastore.net/category/511/

Here is link to Eveliina's disc at the Innova Factory Store: https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/lust...ur-series.html

Last edited by Discette; 03-18-2019 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Proper links
Old 03-18-2019, 02:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,098 Times in 527 Posts

I'm sure most of the top European players prefer to stay closer to home and win tournaments.

That and the logistics of a long term stay or constant back and forth flights seems to be enough of a hindrance by itself.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Yes, i bought a stack of Eveliinas Aviar 3 and she signed one

Old 03-18-2019, 02:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
I'm sure most of the top European players prefer to stay closer to home and win tournaments.

That and the logistics of a long term stay or constant back and forth flights seems to be enough of a hindrance by itself.
Sure but the exposure you get as a player beeing on Jomez or Live videos are necessary.
Seppo was on Jomez two rounds this week, GREAT exposure.

And both Eveliina and Henna have the skill to win Worlds, IF they play
Old 03-18-2019, 02:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.7
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,427 Times in 1,437 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post

Agreed. I recall an interview with Sarah Hokom last winter in which she said that 2017 was the first year that touring didn't end up costing her more than she earned. I imagine 2018 was pretty close to the same. That's for a US-based player at the very top of the game with the luxury of having a home base to return to during the off-season, if not at times during the year.

For a non-US player, having to go through the hoops of securing long term visas plus the added expenses getting to the US and back a couple times (surely she'd go home for the European majors at least), it's probably not worth it compared to making a couple shorter term trips and playing a bunch closer to home in the meantime.

Regarding the visa thing, part of why Simon Lizotte signed a five year deal with Discmania was based around his having proof of employment to get a long term visa in order to stay in the US full time. Seppo may have a similar kind of set up with Prodigy to allow him to stay longer term. Most of the other Europeans are probably coming over on short term visas or even coming as tourists and not reporting that they're here to "work".
Old 03-18-2019, 02:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Yes Eveliina and Henna would probably loose money playing in the US even if they did well. . but in the long run all the exposure is probably worth it.
The short stay Eveliina had i think made her known for more people, and if Henna could do the same she would be more known.

And Eveliina and Henna are two of the highest rated players in the world, and we like to see the best play
Old 03-18-2019, 03:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Rather than consider the nuts and bolts of money, I'd rather consider what it does for the sport. Watching Eveliina, and Seppo over the past couple of weeks has been a blast. They show a new face to the sport and that we can be considered a world sport. I want them here competing because it says really good things about disc golf.

I admit I like the notion of the US competing against Europe, but I liked seeing the European comments, and pride on boards, during events, even more.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,054 Times in 2,162 Posts

As much as I want to see more Euro players over here full time, it might be as important, for the game, for them to be over there helping grow the Euro tour for now.

What would be nice, would be to get a winter US tour going on the west coast and south. That way those top level Euro players can come over during their long winters and keep their games sharp. Take end of October and November off to give players time to decompress, then have a 4-6 event tour/series in December and January.

You might not get the top level US players at every event, but there are plenty of road warriors here to make it work, imo...

Last edited by brutalbrutus; 03-18-2019 at 05:22 PM.

Old 08-20-2019, 01:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Odd question but CAN Eveliina get on the Innova Star team or is that just for US players and Eveliina will be on the International Team no matter what?
She is Rated higher than any of the FPO players in the Star team and have some nice results in 2019