Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,019 Times in 2,138 Posts

Who's on the mics this week JV?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2019, 03:21 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,649 Times in 385 Posts

Paul Ulibarri & Marty Coplea. Marty is an unknown commodity for us. He is filling in for Pete basically. But I am optimistic because he reached out to me this week and asked what he can do to make sure he is on his game. So I know that he wants to do well, we will see how it works out. Should be a fun event.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-03-2019, 03:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.7
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,367 Times in 1,419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
IMHO that (or something very similar) was what Steve Dodge was angling for with his DGPT coverage, and what Jussi had dreams of with the DGWT coverage. But they way they went about it failed, for various reasons we need not rehash here...

Also, Jomez already has a Patreon account, where people can donate, or can subscribe to early and/or exclusive content. The DeLaveaga Skins coverage came out in installments under that concept.

However, I don't know that DG PPV is feasible. And a lot of sports is on free/cable TV with advertising. That model isn't going away soon, and would probably be the better route to continue with for the time being.
I would expect the PPV model, especially when it comes to post-produced, would work just fine with Patreon. Basically, the next day releases would be to Patreon subscribers only and then get released to the general public a week later or something.

Frankly, think that would lead to better coverage more often. The effort that Jomez or CCDG puts into a huge event like Worlds where they've got a crew of 6-7 people filming and editing and churning out content extremely fast could be duplicated more often if they're making more money for it. I just think if Jomez is getting 10-20K views in the first 24 hours of a next day release, if half of those viewers paid $1 a round through Patreon to watch it, it would be a hell of a thing. $30-40K for a weekend of covering the lead card at <name your NT> could easily finance a staff of 6-8 camera ops and editors.

In an ideal world, we would get to a point like JVD is alluding to, where media companies are paying events to cover them instead of getting paid by the events. MLB doesn't pay Fox to broadcast their games, Fox pays MLB for the right to broadcast them (and monetize the broadcasts for their own profits). We get there, and we'll really see some pro purses.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:08 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,056 Times in 1,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
SD. Possibly. Neither of us can know the future. I do know that hiring Jomez can be expensive for an event. And I also know that the events get very little financial return for having media companies there. I would love to see an arrangement where the media companies have to pay to be at events. But again, we run into all sorts of issues with sponsors and advertisers that have been drug up for years now.

All of the major media companies have a Patreon. And that wouldn't stop even with that model. Because there will always be A-tiers, Skins matches, etc for us to cover.

Who knows. The future will be fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
I would expect the PPV model, especially when it comes to post-produced, would work just fine with Patreon. Basically, the next day releases would be to Patreon subscribers only and then get released to the general public a week later or something.

Frankly, think that would lead to better coverage more often. The effort that Jomez or CCDG puts into a huge event like Worlds where they've got a crew of 6-7 people filming and editing and churning out content extremely fast could be duplicated more often if they're making more money for it. I just think if Jomez is getting 10-20K views in the first 24 hours of a next day release, if half of those viewers paid $1 a round through Patreon to watch it, it would be a hell of a thing. $30-40K for a weekend of covering the lead card at <name your NT> could easily finance a staff of 6-8 camera ops and editors.

In an ideal world, we would get to a point like JVD is alluding to, where media companies are paying events to cover them instead of getting paid by the events. MLB doesn't pay Fox to broadcast their games, Fox pays MLB for the right to broadcast them (and monetize the broadcasts for their own profits). We get there, and we'll really see some pro purses.
I remember when boxing was on free TV, and watching Foreman and Ali, announced by Howard Cosell (lousy football announcer, best boxing announcer ever, IMHO). Then Boxing went to PPV; it's what ultimately worked for them. The NHL and NBA have tried PPV packages, and I'm not sure how successful they've been. The NFL (and SEC football, for that matter) has no need to go to PPV, as it generates gobs of money in advertising... and Super Bowl commercials are as talked about as the game itself, sometimes.

Like most things do, all this will shake out over time. I'm not arguing against PPV, just cautioning that it might not be the most feasible thing at this time, and I'll be as curious as anyone to see how it goes. Vee shall see...
Old 07-03-2019, 04:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1

Right now, I think the superchat on YT would be the best way to generate extra income. Do giveaways based on say a $5 or $10 superchat donation. JV, I think you guys did some of that last year, right? How'd it work out, don't need exact figures just wondering how viable it could be? I actually joked with Terry a few months ago that he should raffle off a random box from his storage unit with superchat… but I think it could work if the prizes are decent...

Building the viewership should be the main focus before any PPV system should be put in place. Right now, there are people just finding the live event vids that wouldn't be able to if it was PPV. That's obviously not as much of a problem with the post pro...

Post pro, might already be at a level where some kind of PPV could work but I still think building the views should be the focus in the short term.

Last edited by brutalbrutus; 07-03-2019 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:47 PM
* Ace Member *

MPO fanvote winner for the live card is Nathan Queen.

FPO is Liz Carr-Sypien

Marwede and Barham get the CCDG card.

Old 07-04-2019, 01:17 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,649 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Right now, I think the superchat on YT would be the best way to generate extra income. Do giveaways based on say a $5 or $10 superchat donation. JV, I think you guys did some of that last year, right? How'd it work out, don't need exact figures just wondering how viable it could be? I actually joked with Terry a few months ago that he should raffle off a random box from his storage unit with superchat… but I think it could work if the prizes are decent...

Building the viewership should be the main focus before any PPV system should be put in place. Right now, there are people just finding the live event vids that wouldn't be able to if it was PPV. That's obviously not as much of a problem with the post pro...

Post pro, might already be at a level where some kind of PPV could work but I still think building the views should be the focus in the short term.
Superchat can work ok. We usually tie it in with a charity giveaway, as it is great for the community and tends to bring in a little more money than just us begging to fund us. But that is a not a spot that we want to go to frequently as it comes off as desperate, and then you usually get the same few people doing it all the time.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Live streams...

FPO Fri..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW1DKkaXlrs
Sat...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmV8P_xeDFw
Sun...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxWSAqVi_Ho

MPO Fri...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBK87Ozyf78
Sat...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAPxNogqktE
Sun...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJJepGmvXJ8

Old 07-05-2019, 06:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.5
Courses Played: 95
Niced 792 Times in 302 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

McBeth is out prepping the course because the TD is on a boat?
Quote:
Course Preparation Behind For Great Lakes Open
Players pitched-in to get course ready for Friday FPO tee times
https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/livew...SyMrJNGDDIOcZE

Old 07-05-2019, 07:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 86
Niced 1,482 Times in 622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
McBeth is out prepping the course because the TD is on a boat?

https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/livew...SyMrJNGDDIOcZE
Good on Paul to go out and take proactive steps to fix the situation. Not cool at all to blast the TD on social media.

Then again, I don't think we know enough information from this one article to make any sort of accurate assessment of what is going on. Maybe the TD was taking a break and was planning on finishing things up after a few brews? Maybe the TD quit? Who knows. I'd really like to hear from the TD...