Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 716 Times in 614 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenga54 View Post
She?

I purposely chose baskets that are "Championship" level approved (except the single chain basket as a control)
It's clear the Mach III is the odd one out, seems certain old men who design courses still think they are the best choice.
Not necessarily, some people like me like the basket it is good but the Mach V is better.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2019, 01:47 AM

The basket I notice is not in there is the Lighting DB-5.

That is a common basket that was used in my area on the In town course until the basket tops on a course got replaced with old Mach III tops from the Out of town State Park. The other course got the modern Mach III in blue DGA was trying to get rid of some Powder coated Mach III baskets that had the extra Powder coat on top of the Galvanized Steel. The local State park Course needed new baskets as the Flood of 2011 ruined the baskets but the tops with chains got a plastic bag on them and the in town Lighting DB-5 baskets got the old tops and sort of needed them as the chains on those Lightning DB-5 baskets were in the beginning stages of rusting.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Butlertron View Post
Great video presentation. Watching all those missed putts was strangely amusing!

After years and years of procrastinating, I finally decided to buy a high end basket for home use at the beginning of this season. It was an Innova Pro 28, which is my overall favorite.

Part of my decision making process centered around baskets I throw most regularly around the area I live. Presumably, it does me little good to learn the catching anatomy of a Gateway Titan or Chainstar if I only throw on them once in a blue moon, ect
Now having the 28 Chain model is not going to do nearly as good if all the courses in your area use the older 24 Chain model. You could always figure out what chain sets were left out, the tiny inner one is my guess and remove them or make them removable on and off.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,727 Times in 750 Posts

Good putts into the center or slightly pro side stick in every single basket ever made except for the cut throughs and rare freak occurrences. What is really in question are baskets abilities to catch marginal putts.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 106
Niced 324 Times in 150 Posts

Enjoyed the semi-scientific study a lot. And that’s a lot of putts!!!

So with all things being relatively equal in that top group, I would be pleased with the Innova because of the ever-controversial yellow chastity belt, which I happen to love for visibility purposes.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Maybe some day I’ll throw a bunch of putts at my Insteps with added inner chains and without. That could be interesting.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:27 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 109
Niced 349 Times in 148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Now having the 28 Chain model is not going to do nearly as good if all the courses in your area use the older 24 Chain model. You could always figure out what chain sets were left out, the tiny inner one is my guess and remove them or make them removable on and off.
The old 24 had 12 spokes of chains and the 28 has 14 spokes with the same staggered inner set. Wouldn't work to remove 4 sets
Old 08-23-2019, 08:30 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 109
Niced 349 Times in 148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
The basket I notice is not in there is the Lighting DB-5.

That is a common basket that was used in my area on the In town course until the basket tops on a course got replaced with old Mach III tops from the Out of town State Park. The other course got the modern Mach III in blue DGA was trying to get rid of some Powder coated Mach III baskets that had the extra Powder coat on top of the Galvanized Steel. The local State park Course needed new baskets as the Flood of 2011 ruined the baskets but the tops with chains got a plastic bag on them and the in town Lighting DB-5 baskets got the old tops and sort of needed them as the chains on those Lightning DB-5 baskets were in the beginning stages of rusting.
I knew of the DB-5 and putted on one once, basically a heavy duty version of the Innova Sport. But I don't think many people are looking at installing these at new courses.

If you have baskets on a course already, ok.

If you're installing a NEW course, these seem to be top contenders. I'm baffled why Mach III are still going in on new courses.

Old 08-23-2019, 03:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 24
Niced 442 Times in 253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Good putts into the center or slightly pro side stick in every single basket ever made except for the cut throughs and rare freak occurrences. What is really in question are baskets abilities to catch marginal putts.
I'm pretty sure this explains a lot of the hate for Mach III and a bit Mach V.

where you are right, these are some of the least forgiving baskets for non-perfect (whatever the F a perfect putt actually means) putts. Just a bit off splashing a LOT of chains and they spit.

However, they also spit a lot of good center putts. Especially the Mach III, center pole bounce outs on relatively soft putts are a thing. Lesser degree but still happens more than should be expected on a Mach V but those have the weird tendency to bounce out off the rings. A lofted putt that eases into the chains and bounces out from the chain's rings.

I've always said I wish I was a good enough putter to be able to complain about the basket. But I've had and seen enough head scratching spit outs on Mach III and V's I kinda have to agree with the mob mentality of these baskets.