Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHFH predominantly, RHBH occasionally, Tommy/Thumber rarely
Golf Distance (avg/max*) FH: Pig: 240/270'; Teebird: 290/320'; OLF 320/350'
BH: Wizard 210/240'; Leopard 250/275'
Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: Nothing major
Other sport proficiencies?: Lacrosse, Hockey
Additional Information: I'm looking to use the winter months to experiment with my bag and maybe try a few new discs.
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: Can't decide If I need to bag a midrange or can get away without one.
Specific areas of desired feedback: Gaps or redundancies in the lineup, other discs to consider adding to the bag especially to help with my weak backhand
Immediate and long-term goals: I would like to develop my backhand game more, as I'm not very comfortable with throwing anything above speed 6 discs BH.

Bag:
Distance/Control Drivers
175g Star Teerex (6.5/10)- Headwind driver, FH roller disc, Tommy/Thumber, Good Utility disc
174g MOLF 1.3 (8/10)- Slightly OS control driver, mild headwinds or hyzer finish
175g SOLF 1.1 (6/10)- Workhorse control driver, broken in to a longer Teebird flight, one of my favorite discs in my bag
174g MOLF 1.3 (6/10)-Broken in OLF, more turn and less fade than the others

Fairway Drivers
171g G-Star Teebird (7/10)- Neutral flight for a Teebird, very straight flight
155g Star Whippet (7/10)- Excellent Utility disc, skip shots, workable stability (not just a meathook), spike hyzers, my favorite disc in the bag, swiss army knife
162g DX Whippet (6/10)- Backup for risky Whippet throws, less OS than the star allows me to use this one BH effectively too
*169g G-Star Leopard (8/10)- Hyzer flip FH, tight hallways, longer BH throws, (i loved my leopard but recently lost it, I will either get another or replace with a similar disc.

Putt & Approach
175g Blizzard Pig (8/10)- FH approach or tee shots from 275' and in, BH skip approaches
175g Factory Store Pro Pig(7/10)- Hit & stick hyzer approach shots, able to shape lines better than the blizzard Pig
175g Organic RFF Magic (5/10)- Touch FH shots, Straight or anhyzer approach shots, this disc flies arrow straight BH
173g Fossil Fuel Wizard (8/10)- BH tee shots from 250' and in, longer BH approach shots
174 SSS Wizard (7/10)- Main Putter

My bag is close to where I would like it at the moment. The Wizards, Pigs, Whippets, and OLF are here to stay for the foreseeable future. The Teerex, Teebird, Leopard, and Magic are all discs that I'm pretty comfortable with and enjoy using, but could be replaced by other discs I would like to try out. I'm planning on using the next few months to try out a few new things and try to get my bag sorted for the upcoming year.

-Once I beat in a Wizard enough It could cover most everything I use the Magic for except the touch FH shots (not a fan of beaded discs for FH). I also want to try a Polecat and Proxy at some point as potential replacements. Then again i really do like the Magic so i'll need to be impressed to replace it.
-The Teerex is great but OOP so it would be nice to have something in production to use as a utility. Maybe the PD or Firebird would be a good alternative? Otherwise I'll have to start stocking up on these before they are harder to come by.
-The Leopard and Teebird are probably gonna stay in the bag, but I'd like to try out a Crave FD or PLS as fairways. Something that starts less stable than a Teebird that will season into a leopard would be nice. I would probably keep a Leopard over a Teebird.
-I should probably bag a midrange of some kind eventually, I could revisit the Buzzz or something that is workable both FH and BH. The Wasp was nice but the bead became a pain in the ass for FH, the Emac Truth was solid also. Only other mids I've liked were the Panther and the Tursas. Ideally my mid selection would compliment the fairways I settle on without much overlap.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2016, 12:10 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 243 Times in 126 Posts

Like you, I'm predominantly FH with a developing BH game.

I have an Opto Vision I found (with no ink) that made its way into my permanent bag. I can throw it BH up to 290-300' relatively easily and A LOT more consistently (and nice and straight) than other discs I throw BH.

I also can't overstate how awesome a Tyrant is as a FH control driver if you're looking for new ones to try. You also mentioned Firebirds - an excellent FH utility driver, IMHO
Old 12-19-2016, 12:36 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 104 Times in 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by etdefender19 View Post
Like you, I'm predominantly FH with a developing BH game.

I have an Opto Vision I found (with no ink) that made its way into my permanent bag. I can throw it BH up to 290-300' relatively easily and A LOT more consistently (and nice and straight) than other discs I throw BH.

I also can't overstate how awesome a Tyrant is as a FH control driver if you're looking for new ones to try. You also mentioned Firebirds - an excellent FH utility driver, IMHO
The Tyrant is a freaking sweet fairway, I have one of the puddle tops that would be in my bag if it wasn't for the whippet. Whippet is more versatile for me, as it has a bit more LSS and skips much better... not a knock on the Tyrant at all. I threw a Vision once, seemed pretty nice, got a really smooth FH hyzer flip out of it, reminded me of a Valkyrie flight. I could see that being pretty nice for BH.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 138 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERB brooks View Post
-The Teerex is great but OOP so it would be nice to have something in production to use as a utility. Maybe the PD or Firebird would be a good alternative? Otherwise I'll have to start stocking up on these before they are harder to come by. I would recommend the Xcal. Lots of FH throws like it for it's overstability. It is also the same numbers 0/4 as the Teerex, just one speed faster. Shouldn't be a big adjustment.
-The Leopard and Teebird are probably gonna stay in the bag, but I'd like to try out a Crave FD or PLS as fairways. Something that starts less stable than a Teebird that will season into a leopard would be nice. I would probably keep a Leopard over a Teebird. TL would fit the bill, FD is also similar.
-I should probably bag a midrange of some kind eventually, I could revisit the Buzzz or something that is workable both FH and BH. The Wasp was nice but the bead became a pain in the ass for FH, the Emac Truth was solid also. Only other mids I've liked were the Panther and the Tursas. Ideally my mid selection would compliment the fairways I settle on without much overlap. Mids for FH I would recommend the Meteor for turnovers and the Verdict for stable/OS shots.

My 2 cents
Old 12-20-2016, 05:22 AM
Birdie Member

^
XCal is a good idea, one that I hadn't thought of. Definitely something I'll have to try along with the FD. My midrange will probably be the last thing to get fixed.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:17 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 26
Niced 51 Times in 42 Posts

as as far as mids go, I like the way the Discraft Mids feel for FH AND BH, especially the Buzzz and Meteor, also the Comet if you want to develop better BH form- The Comet will show all your form flaws/OAT
Old 01-03-2017, 04:45 PM
Birdie Member

I wound up getting myself a few factory seconds to try form the Innova Factory store. Snagged 2 Pro Leos, 1 Champ Leo, 1 C Line FD, and an XG Champ Teebird to try out. I figure i will give the FD a spin next to the Leos, and see whats gonna stick for an US fairway. I plan on getting a Proxy to try out next, ideally it will fly like a longer magic. Once i get that figured out I can try and see if I'll ever bag a midrange longterm
Old 01-13-2017, 08:33 AM
Birdie Member

So I've been able to get out and throw with my new toys from the holidays about 3-4 times since getting them in the mail on Monday. Unfortunately I lost the Champ Leopard during a super windy round, and the couple x out Star whippets I got don't at all fly like my 155 gram Whippet I got last year. I am really disappointed about the Whippets, as the 155 gram Star is one of my favorite discs and the 162 gram DX is a nice beat in version. I was hoping that the newer/heavier ones I got would have the same flight characteristics but be more wind resistant. While they cut headwinds very well, they are much more overstable. I may look to change this to a different mold (one thats not OOP would be a plus), the Tyrant will get another look in this role for sure.

The good news is that the FD and pro Leopards are flying great for me since trying them out. The pro Leos fly very similar to my lost G star, will flip up and turn but still finish when released with some hyzer...very nice! The FD is a great mold, I'm finding it to be very intuitive, as it slots in right between the Teebird and Leopard stability-wise. I can't see my self bagging Leopard/Whippet/FD/Teebird all together... too much overlap and 4 fairway molds seems excessive. I really like the Teebird/Leopard combo as its a classic fairway combo, that really allows you to carve up most courses. The only drawback to that is my lack of a truly OS Teebird. The new Xtra Gummy Glow F2 I got may fit the bill, but I haven't really tested it in a headwind to see if its OS enough. Another idea I have is to try and go with a FD/Tyrant combo, maybe I would have to keep the Leos until I can really break in a FD to cover more US shots.

I was able to grab several RDG Fossil and Fossil Fuel Wizards in addition to a RFF Reptallica stamp. I regret not being in on these from the beginning, these are pretty close to the perfect Wizards. The Reptallica stamp has been getting a ton of upshot duty, to where I've pulled the Magic out of my bag for now. I can cover 95% of the shots the Magic was used for, and as this seasons and loses fade it should be an ideal replacement for a Magic. Still think I would like to try out a Proxy, but I'm going to do that when I start tinkering with midranges again (so getting a Proxy is on the back burner for now).

Will be playing later with some buddies and will roll with this setup:

175g Fossil Wizard-Main Putter
174g RFF Wizard-Approach Wizard
172g Fossil Fuel Wizard-BH Driving Putter
175g Blizzard Pig-FH Driving Putter
175g Pro (Factory Store) Pig- Longer or hyzer approach shots

171g Pro Leopard-US Fairway
175g C Line FD*-Neutral Fairway
171g G Star Teebird- Straight to Fade Fairway
170g XG Glow Champ Teebird- OS Teebird
173g Armor Tyrant- Headwind & OS Fairway

(2x)175g MOLF 1.3-One Newer One Broken In
175g Star Teerex-Utility
Old 01-20-2017, 01:11 AM
Birdie Member

Played a coupe rounds today... set a new personal best by one stroke at one of my local courses, Widefield Park, with a -3 first round and a respectable -1 the second round(I consider Even a pretty solid round for me there if unspectacular). I probably should have shot better both rounds but was having a hell of a time putting... oh well thats golf.

I purchased the FD on a whim to compare with a leopard, but so far I'm really loving the FD. My fairway experiment has shown me that a Teebird should unequivocally be in the bag. Initially i thought that a couple Teebirds and a FD would be redundant but I'm really liking the C Line FD for straight shots that can get some turn to them, while shots i want to keep from drifting left(RHFH) are perfect for the Teebirds. I'm now thinking about grabbing a G Line or P Line FD to beat in for truly US fairway. If all else fails I could put the Leopard(fantastic disc) back in or a Millennium PLS that I have been experimenting with (also fantastic, I really like the feel of the Millennium Standard plastic).

I also acquired a Big Z Comet (172g) in a marketplace trade in order to check my BH form out. The Comet has a super funky rim, and a very unique flight. It can fly arrow straight or can turnover like the Tursas I used to throw. As long as I mind my form, the Comet has been a dependable flier. While I'm no Michael Johansen, I've been pleasantly surprised by the Comet. I need to practice more with it, but I'm able to get similar distance to my Wizards thrown BH (~240') at 50-60% the effort. I have been able to throw it close to 300' (maybe 280-290') but typically have much worse results when trying to throw with power. I'm planning on bagging the Comet for a while to work on my BH technique. Ideally I can bag something similar but slightly more forgiving, however, the Comet will be a great learning tool. This is the disc that makes me understand why people swear by midranges as staples of their bag! I want to try a few other molds that are similar and a few more Buzzz like molds in the future.

Todays bag

175g Blizzard Pig-FH Driving Putter
175g Pro (Factory Store) Pig- Longer or hyzer approach shots

175g C Line FD*-Neutral Fairway
175g Swirly Star Avery Jenkins Teebird- more turn than the other Teebirds
170g XG Glow Champ Teebird- OS Teebird

(2x)175g MOLF 1.3-One Newer One Broken In
175g Star Teerex-Rollers & Distance Hyzer

Old 01-30-2017, 02:52 PM
Birdie Member

172g R-Pro Pig-BH-Straight FH drives
175g Pro (Factory Store) Pig-Longer or hyzer approach shots, more OS than the R-Pro

172 Big Z Comet- BH mid
175 Jawbreaker Buzzz-FH and OS BH mid

171g Pro Leopard- US and hyzerflip fairway
175g C Line FD*-Neutral fairway to distance lines (FD flies stupid far for a fairway)
175g Swirly Star Avery Jenkins Teebird- more turn than the other Teebird with a bigger fade

(2x)175g MOLF 1.3- Distance drivers (one newer, one broken in)
175g Star Teerex- FH Rollers & Distance Hyzer shots

I have made a few changes as I continue to tinker with the midrange and fairways. I have added the Buzzz to the bag to compliment the Comet and am very pleased with both. The Buzzz has a nice flight, it should work for FH and BH and I can always add a different one in Ti or Z, to be a more OS compliment. The Leopard is back in, I find it to me shorter and more understable than the FD. A pair of Teeebirds is plenty, as I didn't really like the Xtra Gummy I got. It was nice and OS, which I liked but it was far too soft for my preferred feel. I'm pretty happy with the mids and fairways at the moment.

The biggest issue with my bag at the moment is the lack of a true headwind driver. I use the Teerex in that role, but since mine are pretty broken in, they can turn too much when thrown into a strong header. Without a headwind they fly like a very OS wraith, very slight turn with a healthy fade. They are also amazing for forehand rollers, but I feel a utility disc primarily should be headwind duties. I feel like I could manipulate my OLFs to fly the same lines, and perhaps even as a FH roller.

A Firebird is a tempting option to try out