Old 11-02-2017, 01:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 827 Times in 565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack504 View Post
I may have to try another star shryke then, or just spend a little field time with my star. I've seen you talk up champ terns so much on here, that the shryke must have really impressed you to kick your terns out.

BTW I see you're in Alexandria, I'm in New Orleans, PM me if you're ever down here and want to throw.
Champ Terns were my first really wow distance driver. I just learned over time that I like Star much better in distance drivers. The other thing though, once a Tern gets turned, they rarely want to come back unless it's downwind. Shrykes do a little better at fighting out.

If I ever get down there, I'll let you know
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-02-2017, 03:38 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,181 Times in 1,607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
Try the Shryke and Champ Tern head to head for distance. I found that I got better distance consistently with the Shryke. Its faster and glides better. Both have similar flights. Stable, but not ridiculously so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
I dropped Champ Terns for Star Shrykes because I can get similar stability and avoid Champion plastic.
Quote:
I may have to try another star shryke then, or just spend a little field time with my star. I've seen you talk up champ terns so much on here, that the shryke must have really impressed you to kick your terns out.

BTW I see you're in Alexandria, I'm in New Orleans, PM me if you're ever down here and want to throw.
I see posts like these advocating the Star Shryke.

I say "I'll give my Star Shryke one more shot."

I put my Star Shryke in the bag and go to the course.

At the first opportunity (i.e. long hole), I take out the Shryke and (try to) throw it. I grip-lock it like crazy (I rarely grip-lock any other disc in my bag), it becomes a cut roller.

I use words I did not learn on DGCR.

I take the Shryke home, put it back in the box, and swear "Never again!"

I start reading all y'all's comments about the Shryke....

Old 11-02-2017, 04:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Just to drive odd running back crazy, I just took out all terns and shrykes and inserted an all 11 speed driver line up including a Wraith, CD3, DD, Air Renegade and Mamba. I'll probably shoot a course record this afternoon.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 692 Times in 545 Posts

Take the Shryke to an open field with some other discs and give it a bunch of reps. When I first started tinkering with the Shryke I threw it poorly. I could see potential in the disc, but I simply wasn't releasing it right. Took probably 20 throws before I got anything decent. Now I can just rip on a Shryke and it bombs.

An occasional toss or two on the course for the Shryke won't really help you learn it.

I won't call the Shryke light years better than the Tern, but its enough that I notice it. Actually, the longest Terns I've thrown have all been G*.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-03-2017, 01:51 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 24
Niced 158 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Take the Shryke to an open field with some other discs and give it a bunch of reps. When I first started tinkering with the Shryke I threw it poorly. I could see potential in the disc, but I simply wasn't releasing it right. Took probably 20 throws before I got anything decent. Now I can just rip on a Shryke and it bombs.

An occasional toss or two on the course for the Shryke won't really help you learn it.

I won't call the Shryke light years better than the Tern, but its enough that I notice it. Actually, the longest Terns I've thrown have all been G*.
I was pretty impressed by my gstar shryke the other day on a good hard rip I gave it. Stood up, went over, and came back enough to impress me. I wish I could see that more out of my star shryke because I prefer star plastic.

I have a champ tern and a gstar tern, and the gstar maay be longer than the champ. It is pop topped, the champ is flat, and the gstar shows more turn. I trust the champ tern more though.

Wait... isn't this a katana thread? I got two used, worn in star katanas today for a great deal. Will hit the field and report back. One is board flat, the other has slightly more dome. I think I'll do a max d-driver field test soon with my two shrykes, two terns, two katanas, bliz boss and a 400g D3. (Then I'll throw my wraith almost as far on a controlled line and ask why I bother with this new crap...)
Old 11-03-2017, 02:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 692 Times in 545 Posts

Quote:
I was pretty impressed by my gstar shryke the other day on a good hard rip I gave it. Stood up, went over, and came back enough to impress me. I wish I could see that more out of my star shryke because I prefer star plastic.

I have a champ tern and a gstar tern, and the gstar maay be longer than the champ. It is pop topped, the champ is flat, and the gstar shows more turn. I trust the champ tern more though.

Wait... isn't this a katana thread? I got two used, worn in star katanas today for a great deal. Will hit the field and report back. One is board flat, the other has slightly more dome. I think I'll do a max d-driver field test soon with my two shrykes, two terns, two katanas, bliz boss and a 400g D3. (Then I'll throw my wraith almost as far on a controlled line and ask why I bother with this new crap...)
Interesting. Let us know how that driver test goes. I'll go do that stuff all the time. Pull 8-10 long bombers out and go rip them in a field.

BTW, I'd almost guarantee your flat Katana will disappoint. Those things simply don't do anywhere. The domey Katana will probably be far better. G* Terns for me hang with anything I put them against. Very, very long discs. G* Tern vs. G* Shryke is just about a push in terms of distance. I like the Shryke a hair better because it has a bit more stability and I find it easier to throw consistently. Champion Terns are more stable and don't glide quite as well.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
=Lumberjack504;3240007. (Then I'll throw my wraith almost as far on a controlled line and ask why I bother with this new crap...)
I experiment a lot. Terns have been a staple in my bag since they came out. Added Shrykes, and flirted with Sheriff's.

So yesterday was Max 11 speed as I posted earlier. My seasoned PFN Star Wraith was so good to me, I immediately began searching for discs to make an all Wraith lineup. Ended up not buying anything because the right stuff just wasn't available from any one store. I could probably simplify my bag if I found a light G* and then a heavy star and champ. A shame Echo is going away.

Air Renegade performed great in the max downwind role.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:55 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 24
Niced 158 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
G* Tern vs. G* Shryke is just about a push in terms of distance. I like the Shryke a hair better because it has a bit more stability and I find it easier to throw consistently.
Yeah, I think the gstar shryke can be just as long as the gstar tern, but with less left to right movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
My seasoned PFN Star Wraith was so good to me
I bag three PFN star wraiths in various wear and they are just fantastic. One flat beat one for big turnovers, one less beat for a -2,2 type flight, and one that is straight to fade (my current go-to). I do find that even my pretty stable wraith will turn in a headwind, so I bag a couple destroyers.

I have some newer run star wraiths that I need to throw along side the PFNs to see how they compare. They do all have very similar dome and PLH though - seems to be a pretty consistent mold.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:16 PM
* Ace Member *

I'll get more Wraiths eventually. Probably need a fresh heavy star to begin with, then maybe find a used beat one for down wind.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:29 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 17 Times in 16 Posts

Someone buy my pro wraith.

I much prefer a blizzard boss or blizzard Katana for all out bombs.

Maybe not in wind

Those are my farthest fliers.