Old 02-16-2018, 06:18 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 73
Niced 1,275 Times in 308 Posts
Default Driving or riding to and from starting hole, legal or no?

I was idly thinking about some courses where the lay of the terrain makes it a raging pain to walk to and from the pavilion near hole one of a course, such as when one's shotgun start places them on the opposite side of a forest, ravine, or the like, but there happens to be a circumferential access road and a handy parking lot on the far side.

Then I remembered this:

Quote:
3.05 Carts, Caddies and Groups

A. Players are required to walk during their tournament rounds at all PDGA events unless alternate transportation such as golf carts are provided within the regular event entry fee (not as an opt-in) to all players within a single competitive division.
Does this rule disallow a competitor from hopping in their automobile and driving to their starting hole from tournament central? Does it disallow them from doing the same on the return trip, with a completed scorecard in hand?

Does it also disallow being a passenger on such a trip?

I think the key distinction is the use of the phrase "during the round." How is this span of time defined?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2018, 06:22 PM
Par Member

Niced 82 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Does this rule disallow a competitor from hopping in their automobile and driving to their starting hole from tournament central? Does it disallow them from doing the same on the return trip, with a completed scorecard in hand?
Of course not. It also doesn't disallow you from driving your car to the course that morning...

Quote:
I think the key distinction is the use of the phrase "during the round." How is this span of time defined?
I reckon from tee off to last putt.

Last edited by Turnipseed; 02-16-2018 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,296 Times in 2,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova P View Post
I was idly thinking about some courses where the lay of the terrain makes it a raging pain to walk to and from the pavilion near hole one of a course, such as when one's shotgun start places them on the opposite side of a forest, ravine, or the like, but there happens to be a circumferential access road and a handy parking lot on the far side.

Then I remembered this:

Does it also disallow being a passenger on such a trip?

I have done this at probly half of the tourneys I have played...
Old 02-16-2018, 06:26 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 73
Niced 1,275 Times in 308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
I have done this at probly half of the tourneys I have played...
I've done it a few times myself. I'm fond of allowing lots of players to dogpile into the bed of my truck when I do it, as a favor to others. I wonder if I have been mistakenly doing them a disservice.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,707 Times in 1,540 Posts

Yes, "during the round" would be from the 2-minute warning until the last putt falls. Same as defined in the alcohol possession/consumption rule.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1,024 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Yes, "during the round" would be from the 2-minute warning until the last putt falls. Same as defined in the alcohol possession/consumption rule.
Isn't it from the 2 minute warning until the scorecard is turned in? I think that is for alcohol, at least.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 510 Times in 238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
Isn't it from the 2 minute warning until the scorecard is turned in? I think that is for alcohol, at least.
Good question, since you'd probably drive your truck back to tournament central. It does beg a question regarding PDGA's definition of when a tournament round stops and starts.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1,024 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemkey View Post
Good question, since you'd probably drive your truck back to tournament central. It does beg a question regarding PDGA's definition of when a tournament round stops and starts.
3.03-B.10 Player Misconduct
Possession of alcohol from the start of play until the player’s scorecard is submitted is not allowed.

This is the only mention in the rule book I could find that specifies an action that alludes to an official end of a round. Nothing about final putts or completing the last hole. I might just have some weak sauce search terms.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:30 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 49.9
Courses Played: 52
Niced 563 Times in 236 Posts

How you get to the first tee is your business, as long as you are where you're supposed to be when the tourney starts. You should also be entitled to an appropriate amount of time to get there after the player meeting.

Niced: (1)

Old 02-16-2018, 09:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 510 Times in 238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
3.03-B.10 Player Misconduct
Possession of alcohol from the start of play until the player’s scorecard is submitted is not allowed.

This is the only mention in the rule book I could find that specifies an action that alludes to an official end of a round. Nothing about final putts or completing the last hole. I might just have some weak sauce search terms.
The same definition is in the PDGA tobacco policy
Quote:
The use of tobacco products by event staff, players, and by extension their caddies, is prohibited at all PDGA Majors and National Tour events, as well as those events held concurrently with those Major and NT events, from the two-minute warning until their scorecard is turned in. This prohibition includes all smoking and chewing tobacco products (excluding nicotine gum) as well as electronic and vapor cigarettes.

Niced: (1)