Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: Which of these best describes Hole 18 at the Utah Open?
A par 2 where 38% of throws are errors, and 1% of throws are hero throws. 6 25.00%
A par 3 where 24% of throws are errors, and 33% of throws are hero throws. 16 66.67%
A par 4 where 16% of throws are hero throws, and 23% are double heroes. 1 4.17%
A par 5 where 37% of throws are hero throws, and 21% are double heroes. 0 0%
A par 6 where 16% of throws are hero throws, and 62% are double heroes. 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2018, 10:38 AM

Niced 7 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Just about any method, when applied to a 1000-rated player, will work fine for most holes. However, that doesn't qualify any method to become the new definition. A definition has to work for all kinds of holes. The only true commonality possible to all holes is the score expected of an expert.

I understand your point, but would suggest most people have a sense of what par means based on experiences with golf. I don’t believe disc golf should attempt to change that perception. Rather, we should have a method that aligns to that definition.

So, shots to green +2. But in current definition of disc golf putting, 1-putts are more expected, not 2-putts. There will always be oddities due to course design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2018, 10:54 AM

Niced 7 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Or just:

par = expected shots
Sure, but then you'd have to re-educate everyone who starts playing disc golf. Par has a very standard definition that goes WAY back... maybe not all the way to 1457, but a long way all the same. Shots to green + 2. Some holes are designed to play to par, others are designed to play below and above par but not at par (e.g. small island hole), but par stays the same. I think disc golf should simply have a method to implement this consensus view of par.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-06-2018, 11:06 AM

Niced 7 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajo1125 View Post
Do you always put with a glove on?

Noticed a few wobbly puts maybe grip has something to do with it.

I don’t see many putting with a stack of putters in their hand.

Very informative videos so far just a few things I noticed. Gives me the same vibe as the old Discraft videos I really do think it’s great.
Were you watching my Variables of Putting video? On some of those I was trying to force more wobble to make it very visible. However, I do have some wobble for sure. I have a hypothesis that wobble actually helps accuracy on longer putts by breaking up the influence of the wind. A little wobble, that is. Take a look at this video that measure Drew Brees' accuracy to see where I got the idea. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6EguTZFK5s

At about 7:20 they say, "Surprisingly, a little wobble is necessary to keep the ball on target." and then they explain why. Doesn't have anything to do with disc golf per se, but got me thinking about the topic.

I probably don't need the glove to putt, but I have a neurological disorder that falls under the MDA diseases. I don't have reflexes and my muscles at the extremities atrophy. Too many foot surgeries to count. I have issues with grip fatigue through a round, so the glove helps even out my grip to keep my throws consistent. I prefer to leave it on when putting, so I practice with it when putting as well.

And yes, I've moved to putting my putters on a stool most of the time. However, look up McBeth's 50+1 putting video and he's holding a stack. Thanks for taking a look at my channel!
Old 12-06-2018, 11:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,432 Times in 1,502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disc.golf.jay View Post
Sure, but then you'd have to re-educate everyone who starts playing disc golf. Par has a very standard definition that goes WAY back... maybe not all the way to 1457, but a long way all the same. Shots to green + 2. Some holes are designed to play to par, others are designed to play below and above par but not at par (e.g. small island hole), but par stays the same. I think disc golf should simply have a method to implement this consensus view of par.
To dredge up issues from way back in this thread, golf's definition does not say shots to the green +2. At least, not the definition I could find on the PGA website, nor any definition anyone else cited. It is simply the expected score of an expert (in so many words).

It happens that in golf, shots to the green +2 is a method producing results that match that definition, in almost all cases. In disc golf, the same method doesn't.

Niced: (2)
Old 12-06-2018, 12:50 PM

Niced 7 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
To dredge up issues from way back in this thread, golf's definition does not say shots to the green +2. At least, not the definition I could find on the PGA website, nor any definition anyone else cited. It is simply the expected score of an expert (in so many words).

It happens that in golf, shots to the green +2 is a method producing results that match that definition, in almost all cases. In disc golf, the same method doesn't.
That's fair. I should have said "par has a very standard ASSUMED definition." In other words, that's what most people think of with the word, and that method describes the majority of the situations. I think the goal is to create an approach that uses the simplest definition/method possible to account for the most situations. Shots to green + 2, with a properly defined putting area for disc golf (20m and in?), is remarkable for its simplicity and the breadth of situations it can cover.

There will be courses with holes designed to yield non-par results with this definition. For instance, a tiny island green might yield mainly birdies and bogies+, with very few pars. That's okay in my mind, and doesn't undermine the beauty of a very simple definition/method that covers most other situations.

Niced: (2)
Old 12-06-2018, 12:52 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.5
Courses Played: 365
Niced 1,691 Times in 831 Posts

Quote:
Sure, but then you'd have to re-educate everyone who starts playing disc golf. ...
I'd bet more new players would know that "par is a good score" than would know the commonly used unofficial method for calculating par in golf.

Re-educating only applies to the minority of players who had a background in golf and didn't really know golf's definition in the first place and mistakenly applied that method to disc golf. Plus the designers and players who listened to them.

That shouldn't be impossible. People always believe the latest thing posted on the internet, right?
Old 12-06-2018, 12:54 PM

Niced 7 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
That shouldn't be impossible. People always believe the latest thing posted on the internet, right?
Too true.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:58 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.5
Courses Played: 365
Niced 1,691 Times in 831 Posts

Quote:
...I think the goal is to create an approach that uses the simplest definition/method possible to account for the most situations. Shots to green + 2, with a properly defined putting area for disc golf (20m and in?), is remarkable for its simplicity and the breadth of situations it can cover. ...
There are a lot of methods that account for most situations. "All holes are par 3" does remarkably. But, the definition needs to apply to all situations.

What you've described is Close Range Par, except the real CRP uses 100 feet instead of 20m. A better version of CRP would use 200 feet or more. If everyone used that as applied to a 1000-rated player, par would be really well set almost all the time.

Every method will fail on some exceptional holes. For example, I still would not like to apply par 3 to a hole where almost no one gets a 3. For this and other exceptional holes, we need to abandon the method and revert to the definition.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,432 Times in 1,502 Posts

Quote:
I'd bet more new players would know that "par is a good score" than would know the commonly used unofficial method for calculating par in golf.

Re-educating only applies to the minority of players who had a background in golf and didn't really know golf's definition in the first place and mistakenly applied that method to disc golf. Plus the designers and players who listened to them.

I think there's a broader audience to re-educate; many of us came up in disc golf being told by mentors that it was "shots to green + 2"; played many courses where it was set that way; and inferred from the old definition in the rulebook.

But we're on our way.

In our favor is the other notion of par: a standard score, neither good nor bad in the competition. That, too, is in a lot of people's minds.

Old 12-06-2018, 02:21 PM

Niced 7 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
What you've described is Close Range Par, except the real CRP uses 100 feet instead of 20m. A better version of CRP would use 200 feet or more. If everyone used that as applied to a 1000-rated player, par would be really well set almost all the time.

Every method will fail on some exceptional holes. For example, I still would not like to apply par 3 to a hole where almost no one gets a 3. For this and other exceptional holes, we need to abandon the method and revert to the definition.
Good thoughts. I was thinking more of an inverted CRP. Instead of asking, how close before two shots will get it done, ask, how far out when 2 shots is needed on average? Haven't really thought through why I prefer that approach... probably because I don't like par under 3. I'm biased toward every hole having a chance for birdies without an ace.