Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 04-05-2019, 12:56 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 51
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 287 Times in 179 Posts

Don’t you feel like someone took your cookie away when your favorite disc goes OOP?!

Or when you lose a disc? “That river took my cookie!”

Or when your wife eats the last Oreo?....
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 04-05-2019, 12:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,115 Times in 564 Posts

I get sad when I eat my own last cookie

Old 04-05-2019, 02:09 PM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 26.5
Courses Played: 139
Niced 998 Times in 434 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
I get what you're saying, but Steve's tour is responsible for more than doubling the number of elite events, making it a lot more financially viable to be a touring player.
I completely agree with this.

I'm just not sure how that there are now being 50 people who can tour as opposed to 20 has grown the sport.

I'll pick on Phil Bartholomew and Nathan Queen since both are from my hometown and I know both of them. These guys are now touring full time. I have almost 0 doubt they would have 10 years ago. They are both great players, but no where near the top of the game.

But has Phil or Nathan - or honestly anyone outside the top 20 - touring done anything to grow the sport?

Sure, Steve gets credit for gluing in the tour and making it make more sense financially, but I just don't know how that has grown the sport.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:10 PM
Flippy Flopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
If you're trying to tell me he brings no value, well, I disagree.
I'm not sure how a statement like "He should get credit for that" is mean saying that he brings no value.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
I'm not sure how a statement like "He should get credit for that" is mean saying that he brings no value.
My mistake, point acknowledged. ON the other hand, calling him an opportunist, while admitting he brings value, creates a conundrum in my mind.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:21 PM
* Ace Member *

BTW - I'm a big supporter of pay to view. I know it's failed in disc golf before, but my other favorite sport, WRC, does it quite well. I just think doing only pay per view is a mistake.

WRC does live streaming of their events, and that is pay per view. It's a very high-quality product. At the end of the day, they do wrap pieces that go up on their pay per view, similar to some of the stuff that smash, CCDG, and Jomez do via patreon. After a day or two they move it to their general site and or youtube.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,372 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discette View Post
Jamie thinks every TD can grow a tournament by adding media coverage even if it is just a local or regional event. I hope Jamie will do a segment explaining how a club or TD can grow sponsorship and participation by using video coverage as a tool.... without being so surprised that older TD's don't have this skill set yet.

I think sometimes the popularity of an event can be serendipitous. If you have a crew filming and they just happen to catch an ace, that could be enough media exposure to get an event noticed. I think Rocky Mountain Championships got on the national radar because Christian Dietrich had an Ace that was featured on ESPN (filmed by CCDG). Would we have heard as much about this event without the ace on ESPN?
It's a weird flex to doubt my hypothesis and then check my tone, yet in your very next point make my case for me.

I wasn't surprised in an insulting way, I was surprised because of Robert's position. I think it's very difficult to run events without having media on the table for offering to sponsors. I'm impressed that he's doing fine without it, and my suggestion remains that it could benefit events like his.

Please do not straw man or misrepresent my point Suzette, I'm not saying it's "add water and *poof* NT status" - a good media plan is the window that allows the community to participate without having attended the event. It's the glue that brings the experience together and allows people to re-live the event down the road, or see the course if they're pondering signing up next year, or watching a really highly rated player SHRED their favorite weekend track.

Having great media is about adding another element to the tournament experience as a whole.

Quote:
I absolutely did not run worlds in 2012. I wasn't even on that event staff.

And the example I was talking about was NOT the worlds I ran in 2018, rather my B Tier.
Sure, sorry I got the year wrong, it was not a slight at you. Having run the sole B-tier that I have (and an Ace Race, woohoo) I have healthy respect for the effort and dedication it takes to run a Major.

Quote:
And by the way, if we are bragging about 25K viewers of a video, that's all you need to know about where our sport is in terms of national attention.
See dude, this is where you're not getting it yet. I'm not talking about aiming to be on national TV. 25K views for something like a regional B-tier that nobody outside of 3 hours away has heard of? That's good engagement!

The old way of consuming media is flipping on the TV and being served whatever the out-of-touch executives at major studios THINK you want to see.

The democratization of content is one of the biggest catalysts to growth of this sport. Nobody has to lobby to get disc golf on, they just go where disc golf is.

It's a new paradigm of media consumption, and I'm giving you the "Millennial" read on it. Wait until Gen Z starts gaining power. Things are going to change significantly.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-05-2019, 02:49 PM
Flippy Flopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post

See dude, this is where you're not getting it yet. I'm not talking about aiming to be on national TV. 25K views for something like a regional B-tier that nobody outside of 3 hours away has heard of? That's good engagement!
25K is not what regional B tiers get.

I think we got like 7K.

I get what you are saying. I truly do. But until I as the TD am able to reign in sponsorship or profiting sharing from the video, media isn't worth paying for.

I'm not arguing that it's worthless. I'm arguing that it shouldn't be paid for.

Niced: (2)
Old 04-05-2019, 03:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,203 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
If you are offended by Dodge’s cookie analogy, you are only demonstrating how pathetically shallow you are. You’re so butthurt that you can’t be objective.

I don’t blame Dodge for trying to do the DGPT media in-house. He’s got bills to pay, and wanted to capture the ad revenue that the YouTube DG channels were making off of DGPT’s product. I think Dodge realizes now he should have negotiated something with the YouTube guys instead of going down the path he chose. Now Dodge has less leverage to negotiate a deal, and it’s going to hurt him in the short run.

I wouldn’t bet against Dodge in the long run though; and you cookie eating spoiled rotten shallow keyboard warriors would be wise to STFU and graciously accept Dodge’s apology for his mistake. Steve Dodge is the man who is in the arena battling to give us all the pro tour we’ve dreamed about for years. He’s the one who had not just the dream, but the balls to get out there and get things done. Cut the man some slack or go choke on your cookie.

This is some great sarcasm.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
25K is not what regional B tiers get.

I think we got like 7K.

I get what you are saying. I truly do. But until I as the TD am able to reign in sponsorship or profiting sharing from the video, media isn't worth paying for.

I'm not arguing that it's worthless. I'm arguing that it shouldn't be paid for.
I suspect he's referring to Jonesboro. Right now they are sitting at 91K from the year they were still a B tier. I don't know what they were last year. So you're right, he was way off on his count...

If the B tier you're referring to was broadcast, and it only got 7K, it seems to me that is an argument that Steve is doing something right? If nothing else, bringing in Jomez and Smash for this event.