Old 05-07-2019, 12:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,328 Times in 2,290 Posts

I hate receiving plastic I don't throw. Sure, it was fun at the beginning to be swimming in all that new plastic but after the first year when I actually started cashing regularly, I loathed trying to sell it. It got to the point where I would just lay a bunch of discs on my hood during lunch and put up a sign that said $5... At club events where they are for certain not going to have anything I will throw, I would sell my vouchers for half of face value.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)

Last edited by brutalbrutus; 05-07-2019 at 12:04 AM.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:04 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 135
Niced 2,475 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
I hate receiving plastic I don't throw. Sure, it was fun at the beginning to be swimming in all that new plastic but after the first year, I loathed trying to sell it. It got to the point where I would just lay a bunch of discs on my hood during lunch and put up a sign that said $5... At club events where they are for certain not going to have anything I will throw, I would sell my vouchers for half of face value.
Hell, I pay cash money for plastic I don't throw. WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?!?
Old 05-07-2019, 12:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Hell, I pay cash money for plastic I don't throw. WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?!?
Lol, I guess i'm just into hoarding like some people...

In all seriousness, I never really got into the collecting side of the game, I just liked playing tourneys for the competition. I was a league bowler for many years, starting in youth leagues for 10yrs before another 5 or so in adult leagues before I quit. When I found out there were DG tourneys, I went nuts for a couple years playing in them. The whole get "total value" back thing never made sense to me coming from that background. I was used to paying $15-20 twice a week and not seeing any of that come back to me, other than the small payouts at the end of the season. Maybe $5 per player a week went into that pool.

Also, I don't have a lot of money available to spend on plastic all the time. When I buy a disc, I throw it. If I don't like it, I trade it back in on something else I might like.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:24 AM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
The whole get "total value" back thing never made sense to me coming from that background. I was used to paying $15-20 twice a week and not seeing any of that come back to me, other than the small payouts at the end of the season. Maybe $5 per player a week went into that pool.
It's really weird that we are the way that we are. All I can figure is that the sport from the mid 80's on was player-driven. Disc golfers putting on events for disc golfers. Those disc golfers were Pro's who wanted to play for money, so the payout became the be-all end-all. The idea that an event would be a profit-generator for the host kinda goes out the window and disc golfers got into this annoying habit of counting pennies and demanding to know where their money was going.

If you come from a background of pretty much any other individual sport, you know the reality of paying money and competing for a trophy. The competition and the experience drives the players. Disc golf is and has always been payout-driven, the competition and the experience are secondary.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:31 AM
* Ace Member *

It is a weird system for sure... its like if you played in a foursome every week and each player put up $10 but the player who finished 4th still wound up taking $9 home with him...
Old 05-07-2019, 12:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Lol, I guess i'm just NOT into hoarding like some people...

In all seriousness, I never really got into the collecting side of the game, I just liked playing tourneys for the competition. I was a league bowler for many years, starting in youth leagues for 10yrs before another 5 or so in adult leagues before I quit. When I found out there were DG tourneys, I went nuts for a couple years playing in them. The whole get "total value" back thing never made sense to me coming from that background. I was used to paying $15-20 twice a week and not seeing any of that come back to me, other than the small payouts at the end of the season. Maybe $5 per player a week went into that pool.

Also, I don't have a lot of money available to spend on plastic all the time. When I buy a disc, I throw it. If I don't like it, I trade it back in on something else I might like.
Typosaurus Rex strikes again...
Old 05-07-2019, 07:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,075 Times in 865 Posts

Over the past couple years I have run 5 C tiers with $10 entry fees and no players pack or prizes beyond trophies. All have sold out the number of Am spots available. IMO those of you who claim players will not come out for this type of thing do not actually know that because no one in your area has tried it. Discussing how things ought to be online is fun and interesting to some people but there is very little risk involved in running that type of event- no merch to be bought beforehand and then get stuck with, etc. I challenge some of you to actually do it and see what the result is, you may be surprised that the Am players in your area are not as addicted to trinkets as you believe. What do you have to lose?

There are new players coming into the game all the time. These players are not predisposed to believe that they need to be bribed into playing with player's packs. It is the organizers who perpetuate that myth and the PDGA who prop it up with trinket requirements for their various tier levels.

Last edited by biscoe; 05-07-2019 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:30 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 41
Niced 60 Times in 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Players packs are the work of the Devil.

I know there are people in this thread saying they would prefer a cheaper event with no players pack. I don't disbelieve them since I would prefer that as well. The fact is that we are a minority; the vast amount of Am players want the players pack and are willing to pay what it takes to get them.
One of the local clubs in my area did a Facebook poll on this when they were planning an upcoming event. Question was "INTERMEDIATE level players only- Would you play a sanctioned event for payout or receive a large players pack?" 48 voted payout and only 26 voted player pack.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:05 AM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Over the past couple years I have run 5 C tiers with $10 entry fees and no players pack or prizes beyond trophies. All have sold out the number of Am spots available. IMO those of you who claim players will not come out for this type of thing do not actually know that because no one in your area has tried it. Discussing how things ought to be online is fun and interesting to some people but there is very little risk involved in running that type of event- no merch to be bought beforehand and then get stuck with, etc. I challenge some of you to actually do it and see what the result is, you may be surprised that the Am players in your area are not as addicted to trinkets as you believe. What do you have to lose?

There are new players coming into the game all the time. These players are not predisposed to believe that they need to be bribed into playing with player's packs. It is the organizers who perpetuate that myth and the PDGA who prop it up with trinket requirements for their various tier levels.
I tried it. Our local core of players said $15 to play for trophies was a rip-off and demanded to know "where our money is going." Uh, the park department was taking 20% off the top for administrative fees. Trophies aren't free. Once you hit the break even point, the rest of the money goes into the general fund and pays for stuff like mowing. "That's bull****, they have to mow the park anyway! We shouldn't pay for that!" It was very much a penny for penny accounting for their money and if 100% of it wasn't coming back to them, they would not play.

So I guess it depends on where you are.

You have the advantage of being on private land so the money ending up in the hands of the evil local government isn't an issue for you. It's a problem I run into whenever I try to do anything.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:08 AM

Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

What about the effect these player packs have on growing the TD scene? I've thought about running a tourney but it's just so much with the packs and everything... but at the same time I want people to show up!