Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Disc Golf Courses > Course Development

Old 07-31-2019, 11:49 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 35.1
Courses Played: 163
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 59 Times in 22 Posts

I can't help but wonder is state/region is going to be a HUGE factor in whether or not a particular area would support P2P. I live in Texas, where land is generally plentiful and cheap compared to many other areas of the country. Of 456 courses in Texas listed on this site, only 26 (5.7 percent) are listed as pay to play. I have 75 courses within 50 miles of my house; 24 of them are rated 3.5 discs or higher. Given all of that, I am not a fan of P2P. I have paid a few bucks to play at something like a state park (and will again at a place such as Lake Claiborne in Louisiana), but I can't see making that my norm. Of course, I don't play tournaments because I would rather play with my friends (for "free") than pay to play with strangers. I also don't care about many of the amenities (water, benches, restrooms, etc.). As long as a course has fun, well-designed holes and is reasonably maintained, I like it. There are way too many that meet that standard and don't charge me to walk onto the course for me to make a habit of doing anything else. I understand that I am not the norm on many of those points, so I likely am not the best person to answer the OP. However, there are others who feel the same way that I do.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 08-01-2019, 12:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,308 Times in 2,283 Posts

I would think people that have a golf background are likely to embrace p2p. Paying $5-10(even $20) on a round/day pass/annual parking permit to disc golf probably seems very reasonable to someone that's used to paying $25-100+ for a round on the links.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:24 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
I would think people that have a golf background are likely to embrace p2p. Paying $5-10(even $20) on a round/day pass/annual parking permit to disc golf probably seems very reasonable to someone that's used to paying $25-100+ for a round on the links.
You are probably correct, but part of the appeal for me (and for others, I think) of disc golf compared to ball golf is how inexpensive disc golf is.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-01-2019, 12:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,308 Times in 2,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclay View Post
You are probably correct, but part of the appeal for me (and for others, I think) of disc golf compared to ball golf is how inexpensive disc golf is.
I started out as one of those people too. Using found discs and playing the local pitch and putts. Then one day it occurred to me that I had $400+ strapped to my back, lol...

...though that's still only a third of what was hanging on my shoulders at the golf course.

Old 08-01-2019, 12:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 313
Niced 2,215 Times in 1,097 Posts

I really don't care about a pro shop and snacks... might browse but unlikely I'd buy plastic.

Gimme good golf and well maintained course. Do the basics well, I'd pay $5 visit. I don't need extras.

If it's really good, I'd pay more.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 08-01-2019 at 12:50 AM.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:51 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 758 Times in 649 Posts

Quote:
I would embrace Pay to play just to have things like a person who is not mowing when a bunch of people are playing or to have a fully working set of toilets after done be they pit style with the hand pump of the foam alcohol stuff outside, not picky on that. I just want a course where you do not need to use your disc golf bag/cart to hold door to bathroom open to see what you are doing as the lights have not ever worked in the place for a long time or the set up was not enough light from the begging. Also to have toilet paper and not have to for a whole year need to bring my own in case I needed to go poo. Also to not have a whole set of toilets out for most of a the season those toilets are open forcing everyone who uses that park to use the women's. That is all I expect if the course is pay to play. Most South Dakota state parks with the exception of some that are rarely used out in the middle of nothing meet this requirement that should be standard for all parks.

Ps I have never really liked traditional golf due to how much that disrupts the local environment especially with the modern common style of golf course you see in the USA and Canada.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:56 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
I started out as one of those people too. Using found discs and playing the local pitch and putts. Then one day it occurred to me that I had $400+ strapped to my back, lol...

...though that's still only a third of what was hanging on my shoulders at the golf course.
I'm such a minimalist. I usually carry 9 discs (and could easily do with 5). A couple are DX plastic, and most were bought used. I use a $20-$30 backpack that someone else converted. I don't own a disc golf cart, and I don't carry a stool or chair. That means I generally have less than $100 on my back on the disc golf course. Again, I know I am in the minority. That is part of the appeal of disc golf as well: I can play my way with minimal equipment.

I have a feeling that if I played golf, my approach would be about the same, but I would have $400 with me instead of $100.

Old 08-01-2019, 01:00 AM

Quote:
This is true even if you have a $200-$300 backpack and a $300 cart to carry it around the backpack and about $200 worth of disc. At that point you have $800 at most in disc golf stuf. at the $700-$800 point is near the lowest one can get a full set of new decent clubs with bag including 1-9 iron plus sand wedge, 1-5 on regular clubs, then putter and this does not take into account hybrid clubs that still even today come more as an extra, nor does it include a set of golf balls, tees and marker item or the golf shoes.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 08-01-2019 at 01:02 AM.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:09 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
This is true even if you have a $200-$300 backpack and a $300 cart to carry it around the backpack and about $200 worth of disc. At that point you have $800 at most in disc golf stuf. at the $700-$800 point is near the lowest one can get a full set of new decent clubs with bag including 1-9 iron plus sand wedge, 1-5 on regular clubs, then putter and this does not take into account hybrid clubs that still even today come more as an extra, nor does it include a set of golf balls, tees and marker item or the golf shoes.
At nearly b$1,000 to get started (yikes!) and four hours to play a round, no wonder I'm not a golfer when my version is more in the range of $100 in equipment and one hour to play a round. Since I almost never pay greens fees, I save even more money playing disc golf rather than ball golf. Plus I get more exercise walking a round of disc golf than I would get riding in a cart for a round of ball golf.

Old 08-01-2019, 01:34 AM

Quote:
At nearly b$1,000 to get started (yikes!) and four hours to play a round, no wonder I'm not a golfer when my version is more in the range of $100 in equipment and one hour to play a round. Since I almost never pay greens fees, I save even more money playing disc golf rather than ball golf. Plus I get more exercise walking a round of disc golf than I would get riding in a cart for a round of ball golf.
Well in some cases one can play a round of Golf in an hour if they show up when course opens to play. No it is often not a minimum of $1,000 in equipment to play golf but even a good low end set up with everything will run $500 minimum. I have looked it up on Amazon with no name or knock off clubs and getting some cheep golf shoes $30 and then a $20 set of legal balls just in case you ever play a sanctioned amateur golf event will cost about $500 to play. Yeah the clubs themselves are $400 for a no name or knock off set of clubs about 2/3 to 3/4 of a full set of clubs and a bag on Amazon then take in the rest including tees and you are spending $500 for a low end golf set that has all the clubs you need to start off with. A 1 or 2 iron is often not used by beginners. Nor is a chipping wedge used by beginners, often a sand wedge takes that spot.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 08-01-2019 at 01:36 AM.