Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 760 Times in 651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
Sports is kind of odd, some wins you remember forever. . others not so much

Worlds is THAT tournament in discgolf. . i know that Avery won in 2009, McCabe in 2010 and i know that Doss have 3x and Climo 12x . . but i can΄t name a single other tournament any of them have won

It΄s like the Olympics . . if you get a win. that trumps everything else . . by far
Nate Doss won the Beaver State Fling a bunch of times in the 2000's since that was like a local course for him and he would play all the time in the off season.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2019, 02:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,387 Times in 801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
You mean aside from the first year of Worlds?

Sam Ferrans won the third ever World championships in 1984. He was not in attendance for the first two. He's the only one I can find.
Yes the first ever Worlds don΄t really count, hard to have played something that don΄t exist

But nice for Eveliina. no one in her lifetime have placed better in their first Worlds

Niced: (1)
Old 08-22-2019, 07:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,734 Times in 1,550 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Nate Doss won the Beaver State Fling a bunch of times in the 2000's since that was like a local course for him and he would play all the time in the off season.
Uhhhhhhhh, Nate grew up in Santa Cruz, California. The greater Portland, Oregon area was not "local" to him. Even now that he resides in Oregon, it's not local to him...Bend is a good three hour drive from Portland.

To be fair, he has won the BSF...once, in 2007.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:27 AM
Independent Operator*

Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 519
Niced 694 Times in 247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
I also see the reason to have that Sunday as a "buffer day" in case of bad weather late in the event causing the players to not be able to complete it. They can let them know early enough that e'll make up the round we're behind on Sunday. There were several tournaments the first year the pros went the three rounds, 1-a-day, that ended up getting truncated due to the schedule of the last round on Sunday, negating any possibility of making it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
Definitely, I get and I know all that. All I am saying is that having the tourney scheduled to end on Saturday at least leaves the possibility!
Sunday is not there as a buffer because tournaments are NOT allowed to finish incomplete rounds by adding another day.

Competition Manual 1.09 D (2) ..

Quote:
Under no circumstances should players be expected, or asked, to return on a day
following the last day of the regular scheduled rounds to finish the event.
This last statement is also part of PDGA Mid-Event Weather Suspension & Cancellation Guidelines

Niced: (1)
Old 08-22-2019, 10:21 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,180 Times in 1,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
I'm not hating.... but I find myself still trying to understand what makes this event, (which anyone can sign up and play in) so prestigious that the winner is proclaimed the "PDGA World Champion"? I understand this is a major, if they required a certain placement in the other majors as a means to quality for this event, then at least to me it would make sense, but take out the title of the tournament, and seems like there really isn't anything about this event that distances itself from other events.
Like parents sometimes say: "Because we said so!"

Just like the golf ball golf US Open, PGA Championship, or (British) Open, it's what they call it, therefore it's what it is.

It's the knowing at the end that if you win THIS tournament, you will be called "World Champion" for all time.

Could they improve the quality of the tournament? Sure. Could they improve the qualifications to get into the tournament? Sure. But in the here and now, it's "Worlds", and the winner is the World Champion.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-22-2019, 10:23 AM
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Performance Tracks

Thanks for posting these. Interesting information within the graphs...
Old 08-22-2019, 11:16 AM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.5
Courses Played: 365
Niced 1,692 Times in 832 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Thanks for posting these. Interesting information within the graphs...
Glad you like it. It takes a bit of staring.

For those who haven't looked, if you keep in mind that when the line is going up, the player is playing above their rating, you can almost replay the event in your mind.

A few tidbits:

After two rounds, Paul's expected final score was 16 throws better than anyone else, even though he was behind Emerson by one at that point. That makes me wonder whether anyone else ever really had a chance.

Note how far above his rating Emerson was playing until hole 16 in the second round at Northwood. He was gaining an average of .41 throws on himself every hole!

Simon's 14 under was 5 better than expected for him, while Ricky's 14 under was 7 better than he would have expected.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:47 PM
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Glad you like it. It takes a bit of staring.

For those who haven't looked, if you keep in mind that when the line is going up, the player is playing above their rating, you can almost replay the event in your mind.

A few tidbits:

After two rounds, Paul's expected final score was 16 throws better than anyone else, even though he was behind Emerson by one at that point. That makes me wonder whether anyone else ever really had a chance.

Note how far above his rating Emerson was playing until hole 16 in the second round at Northwood. He was gaining an average of .41 throws on himself every hole!

Simon's 14 under was 5 better than expected for him, while Ricky's 14 under was 7 better than he would have expected.
The biggest thing I got out of it was this:

I had not realized how badly Paige Bjerkaas had fallen off the pace as the tournament progressed. I knew she was way behind, but not that she faded and kept on fading.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:43 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.5
Courses Played: 365
Niced 1,692 Times in 832 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
The biggest thing I got out of it was this:

I had not realized how badly Paige Bjerkaas had fallen off the pace as the tournament progressed. I knew she was way behind, but not that she faded and kept on fading.
And not just...
...off the pace, but off her pace. Twenty throws worse than her rating would indicate.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:50 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 86
Niced 84 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
Plenty of people on the amateur side.
I think a few players have won Masters Worlds in their first effort there as well. Not the same thing as winning either Open division in one's first attempt, obviously, but there has definitely been some Amateur and Pro Masters winners who won in their first try.