Old 08-26-2019, 04:05 PM

Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

If only a driver will do, slower the better. A lightweight Leopard3 or Maverick would fit the bill as close as I can imagine.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2019, 04:11 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 280 Times in 168 Posts

hyzer flip the maul

Old 08-26-2019, 04:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 235
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 31 Times in 16 Posts

If your Maul has seen a fair amount of use since you bought it, you might be able to just get a fresh one, or even a new opto one if those are more overstable than gold line. Then you'd still be comfortable with the mold, plastic, and hand feel, but you'd get a different flight from the two discs. I have multiples of almost every disc in my bag which are in different stages of wear so I can get different flight shapes without having to become familiar with different molds.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-26-2019, 04:29 PM
Par Member

Niced 23 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyzer_berg View Post
Echoing what others have mentioned, that flight is difficult from a driver if you don't have great power or technique.

However, I've found that a Mako3 can hold that line incredibly well and give you sneaky distance on some pulls. Its a great compliment to your MD3 and Compass.
Yeah, looks like for the most part, it's matching a disc WITH good technique. And I probably already have the disc. I have a GL Fuse, a GL Maul and a Star Mako3. I'm sure if I just practice enough and beat the heck out of them, they will give me this shot I'm looking for. It would be super helpful for me on like 4-5 holes off the tee for sure at my local course. That Star Mako3 I have could definitely be the disc I'm looking for. It is hard to throw with consistency when I'm playing. In the field, it goes real far for a mid and very straight. But... If I even give it the tiniest bit of anyhzer, it goes right about 5-10' and just dead straight. So I'm sure if I keep working it with my hands and beating it in on the course, it will turn into that disc I'm looking for. Same goes for my FD's. I have 4 of them in S line for field work. So I'll just take one of them and mush on it a ton while I'm watching TV and hopefully break it in really well, so it can flip a little more.

Thanks everyone. Still learning a lot and don't know all this stuff yet. So thanks for the suggestions, but more importantly the tips and help. I see these pros with 20-25 throwing discs, and think I can get a disc for literally every shot. But I keep reading your guys responses and I'm realizing it's more about the form, than the disc. Not that a disc can't help or make it easier, but form is more important. So I'll just work on my form instead of adding more discs I don't need. I'm going to need to open an eBay account to sell all these extra discs I don't even use or only used a few times, haha.

Another friend on here told me to just learn to hyzer flip my Maul and it will do what I want. Or even my Fuse. He said because they have so much turn right for me, if I just throw it on a hard hyzer, it should flip up to flat, and then once it's flat, start catching and turn right. So I'll try that and work on beating in my other discs to get this flight I'm looking for. If I can get a disc to do this, and learn to throw it either with some anhyzer or a hyzer flip, I will be really happy, as there are some tough holes I always struggle on in the woods at my local course. This shot would be super helpful.

Thanks everyone, consider this thread closed.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 183
Niced 672 Times in 446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWookie View Post
I can't resist. I've been on a Pro Leopard kick and it's a solid option. It may have a little too much end fade. I really like the earlier beat DX Teebird suggestion too, though I don't like cycling or depending on wear too much myself.

This idea might be too crazy, but I'm thinking it because you like hyzer releases. Give a heavy Neutron Relay a try. It's pretty flippy, but seems to give a pretty reliable flip that might give you a good right finish if you figure out how much hyzer it likes. One nice thing about the Relay is that it works well for powered down shots too.

We're all working on our form. But we also (almost) all like trying new plastic while figuring out new shots that help our game on the course. No judgement. DGCR is a great place to figure out what other people like for certain shots, in addition to pursuing that never-ending quest to improve your form.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-26-2019, 07:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,556 Times in 704 Posts

Could try a Star Valkyrie

The Stag is a good suggestion too

Old 08-26-2019, 07:15 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,177 Times in 1,604 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWookie View Post
Nothing keeps a thread going like saying it's closed.

A fresh River will do ya good, especially a Gold Line River if you can find them. But they tend to beat in relatively quickly. The Leopard or Leopard3 is also a good option.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-26-2019, 10:30 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 759 Times in 650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Nothing keeps a thread going like saying it's closed.

A fresh River will do ya good, especially a Gold Line River if you can find them. But they tend to beat in relatively quickly. The Leopard or Leopard3 is also a good option.
In the Realm of a Leopard a Cheetah does well, but it did and still dose not come in more then just DX and at the time older 2000's DX got really stiff, slick, and could shatter easily in the cold winter weather so I never got the mold. I upgraded at about the time my DX Leopard was getting too flippy in 2007 to another mold as the Leopard had been changed to more what Dave F wanted when he was sponsored by the Innova team, even the DX Leopard changed a bit.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.6
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,546 Times in 512 Posts

How are you going to disrespect Barry Schultz like that?

Old 08-26-2019, 11:47 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 759 Times in 650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
How are you going to disrespect Barry Schultz like that?
oh sorry I got those two mixed up in the development of the Leopard.

Me on my original Post. It was Berry Schultz, but other pro players did use the mold more after Leopard got Tweaked in the early to mid 2000's. Also at this same time L and X molds came out for the Leopard making it hard to get the mold type they wanted.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 08-26-2019 at 11:49 PM.