Old 09-22-2019, 11:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 497 Times in 287 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
And Champ should have something more stupid overstable than an Eagle to throw into headwinds.

Seriously, dude? (Or how do they say that on the Simpsons?)
Honestly mine was a troll post (which I don't tend to do often) but damn a response like this makes me realize why trolls like to troll.

The eagle was plenty OS disc to play the courses as they were in that era, especially someone like Climo... but what does that have to do with his win/loss and how he played against others in that year who had the same discs? This point doesn't even seem related to thread?

Just a few posts before mine someone mentioned not being able to compare McBeth's 2015 year to 2019 because the increase in the competition pool.

All of Climo's accomplishments are amazing and what they are. He was the best among his peers. The quality of those Peers was at times amazing as SW pointed out he beat Barry Shultz by 14 strokes in one of those C tiers. BUT... Betting Climo Vs the Field for the tournaments played that year and comparing that to McBeth vs the field for tournaments this year? All the established names and all of the up and comers. The talent pool is deepening and to consistently win as much as he has is a pretty damn special year.

Its not comparing whose better overall, the eras are so different and I'm a firm believer if Paul were born when Ken was and Ken were in his 20's today the conversation about best all time would be the same two names. All time greats are measured against their competition to the day and they both would raise above them.

for this thread though? Its simply an unfair comparison BECAUSE the talent pool, the travel, the number of tournaments, the money. 1995 is at a handicap in the comparison.

JK cashing at USDGC and dominating her peers would be very difficult to make a case against.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 09-23-2019, 03:25 PM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 26.5
Courses Played: 139
Niced 985 Times in 428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post

How does 19k in 1995 compare with 60k in 2019?
It doesn't. Comparing money is dumb as it grows exponentially. In almost every individual sport measuring career earnings, the highest all time money winner isn't always the, just the best of the last 10 years.

Rory McIlroy just had the highest earning season in PGA Tour history. He won 3 times (non majors) and missed the cut in a major.

Does that mean he had the best season in the history of golf?
Old 09-23-2019, 04:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 107
Niced 353 Times in 166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
How good Mike Moser was at that time!!!! (Not that he still isn’t.)

One of The Champ’s 2nd place finishes was to Moser and one of the other 2nds was a tie with Moser.

I saw MM during the 2007 WV Open and it was impressive!

Niced: (1)

Last edited by Jimb; 09-23-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:21 PM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 26.5
Courses Played: 139
Niced 985 Times in 428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimb View Post
How good Mike Moser was at that time!!!! (Not that he still isn’t.)

One of The Champ’s 2nd place finishes was to Moser and one of the other 2nds was a tie with Moser.

I saw MM during the 2007 WV Open and it was impressive!
And one of the best nicknames in disc golf - The Delaware Duecer!

Niced: (3)
Old 09-23-2019, 04:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,024 Times in 844 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
And one of the best nicknames in disc golf - The Delaware Duecer!
it was the Manassas Mauler prior to that... (Manassas is Mike's home town in VA)

Niced: (4)
Old 09-24-2019, 07:09 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 27
Niced 522 Times in 217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
it was the Manassas Mauler prior to that... (Manassas is Mike's home town in VA)
Are we sure he's a disc golfer and not a travelling serial killer?

Niced: (2)
Old 09-24-2019, 08:55 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 130
Niced 109 Times in 44 Posts

McBeth gets the usdgc...best year ever?

Yup
Old 09-24-2019, 10:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 56
Niced 53 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
McBeth gets the usdgc...best year ever?

Yup
I'd say if he gets USDGC, then it's in the conversation along with his 2015 and CLimo's whatever year it was. People have their different ideas about "best", so then it's up for debate from there. If that's what you think, great.

If he doesn't win USDGC, I'm hesitant to include it in the conversation. I realize the last few months he's been on a tear, but the first couple months of the year, we were all wondering if Discraft was the issue.

I'm interested to see 2020. If Paul can keep up this torrid stretch for another year, he's going to be rated ~20 points higher than anyone else in the world and win anything he plays. I mean anything. Golf? Poker? Tag? bring it on. I'd vote for him as president if he hits a 1070 rating. Come to think of it, I might vote for him anyway.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-26-2019, 05:10 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 130
Niced 109 Times in 44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan P. View Post
I'd say if he gets USDGC, then it's in the conversation along with his 2015 and CLimo's whatever year it was. People have their different ideas about "best", so then it's up for debate from there. If that's what you think, great.

If he doesn't win USDGC, I'm hesitant to include it in the conversation. I realize the last few months he's been on a tear, but the first couple months of the year, we were all wondering if Discraft was the issue.

I'm interested to see 2020. If Paul can keep up this torrid stretch for another year, he's going to be rated ~20 points higher than anyone else in the world and win anything he plays. I mean anything. Golf? Poker? Tag? bring it on. I'd vote for him as president if he hits a 1070 rating. Come to think of it, I might vote for him anyway.
While our ratings are great fun to discuss, hopefully over time they're either improved to show who the best is or they're phased out for the top players. Ratings are easily manipulated just by playing specific tournaments meaning they can't be the definitive answer as far as who's best. Yes -- I believe Paul is the best in the world right now and the highest rated guys are the best it's just there's a hole in our system.

Hopefully that doesn't hijack this thread as there's plenty of ratings bashing threads to go around, but Paul bags the usdgc it will make 2019 a good argument for best year ever.

Old 09-26-2019, 10:40 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 74
Niced 194 Times in 60 Posts

I think that the rating system is the best way to identify who is the best player...it is objective, though not perfect...

McBeth has been the highest rated player (or tied for highest rated player) since about 2013...he never relinquished it... even during the Ricky hot streak during 2016 and 2017...Ricky won Worlds, but that is one tounament out of an entire season...the ratings track who has played best all season (with some minor limitations)...

World's are a marketing and income generator...for good reason...but one tounament doesn't tell you who is best...