Old 09-26-2019, 05:55 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 324 Times in 163 Posts
Default OB options not approved by Tour Manager

I have an upcoming tournament where a newish TD has constructed an Island Hole but hasn't gotten approval by the Tour Manager (and refuses to do so after I mentioned that approval was necessary). The island hole is probably fine, but this made me wonder a bit about such a situation and how to call a disc that lands off the island if you know that the TM didn't approve the island hole.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2019, 06:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,682 Times in 1,533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofenshmirtz View Post
I have an upcoming tournament where a newish TD has constructed an Island Hole but hasn't gotten approval by the Tour Manager (and refuses to do so after I mentioned that approval was necessary). The island hole is probably fine, but this made me wonder a bit about such a situation and how to call a disc that lands off the island if you know that the TM didn't approve the island hole.
As a player, I think it is incumbent on you to play your rounds according to the rules set out by the TD. That's whether he has obtained a waiver for a rules variant or not, since ultimately it's not the player's responsibility to know that information.

That said, if you have advanced knowledge of this rules variant and you believe it requires approval that hasn't been sought, you wouldn't be out of line to contact the Tour Manager yourself just to make him aware of the situation. Better that than waiting until after the event to report it and potential creating a situation for which there is no real fix (an event played under improper rules).

But regardless of the outcome of doing that, whatever the TD says on tournament day should be how you play it. No sense in making matters worse by playing it how you think is proper but being the only one, or one of the only ones, to do so while the rest of the tournament plays it by the TD's rule.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-26-2019, 06:33 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,604 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
The main thing that's required for an island hole to be approved is marking a drop zone within about 50 ft of the IB green where players may move to the first time they land in the OB area surrounding the green. Here's what's happened the handful of times when an unapproved island hole design, that would not have been approved, was reported to the PDGA by players after the event. The TD had to remove scores thrown on that hole (this has always been after the event so far) and report new 17-hole totals for each player to be used for ratings. Not sure what disciplinary action was taken if any. Suggest telling the TD you'll likely be reporting the lack of waiver to the Tour Manager unless TD gets one.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-26-2019, 07:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 132
Niced 567 Times in 271 Posts

So any of the Throw-til-you-make-it-on islands I've played (presumably) had a waiver?
Old 09-26-2019, 07:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,408 Times in 1,498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvogie View Post
So any of the Throw-til-you-make-it-on islands I've played (presumably) had a waiver?
Probably not.

They probably had a TD who didn't know, or didn't care, that he needed one, and no players who chose to complain to the PDGA.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-26-2019, 07:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,682 Times in 1,533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Probably not.

They probably had a TD who didn't know, or didn't care, that he needed one, and no players who chose to complain to the PDGA.
Orrrrrrrr....

Some of those events were played before it was a requirement to get a waiver from the Tour Manager to limit OB options.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 132
Niced 567 Times in 271 Posts

Possibly. I'm guessing Rusco probably had a waiver, though.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Orrrrrrrr....

Some of those events were played before it was a requirement to get a waiver from the Tour Manager to limit OB options.
True. It's a recent unpleasant turn of events.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Presumably, you're talking about a mandatory drop zone or re-throw, since the island hole itself doesn't require approval.

Among the options are filing a post-tournament complaint---the PDGA makes that easy---or gritting your teeth and going along with the TD's decision or, of course, not playing in the tournament.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 68
Niced 277 Times in 148 Posts

Island holes in and of themselves do not require a waiver. The waiver is only required if the OB options are restricted.