Old 10-17-2019, 10:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,198 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcinmd View Post
So when one signs up for PDGA ""professional''" membership do they need a +900 rating? Or just $75??

It is interesting that the PDGA relabeled MPO from Men's professional open to Mixed professional open to not limited the division. Yet they come straight back and limit the division.

As many have mentioned this is a solution in search of a problem.

Well, this just put it into the perfect perspective for me.

The PDGA will gladly take your money to sign up as a "pro", but won't let you play in all of the "pro" tournaments.

It really is laughable.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 10-17-2019, 10:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,312 Times in 2,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcAtee View Post
No. It was actually in Chattanooga on a mountain during freezing rain. I went to walmart at lunch to get dry clothes as I was not prepared. I actually got booed when my name was announced cashing. I've found the disc golf culture down south to be very cliquish.
Sounds familiar. That CCS at Harbin was just miserable. 33 and raining sideways for the first round. We were actually happy when it started sleeting during the 2nd rd, lol...

Niced: (1)
Old 10-17-2019, 10:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 87
Niced 1,742 Times in 722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
I mean you get into the give and take thing.

For me I've TD'ed tourneys and ran leagues, found sponsors and donated prizes, showed up on work days and cleared courses, designed temp courses and showed up before the sun was up to set out baskets, run a kids program to teach disc golf...I given a lot. I really haven't received much in the way of anything tangible in return, so I get to be in the "giver" category.

Now a touring pro had to practice more, focus on their own success to play better, and their hope is to win prize money and take that resource out of the game and put it in their pocket. By the very definition of what they do, they are in the "taker" category.

I don't think you can ever get around that. Paul McBeth can't volunteer for enough work days to even out what he has "taken" from the sport if that is how you are defining it.

In an alternate view, Paul McBeth does more for the sport by being Paul McBeth than a whole army of small-time local volunteers like I have been could do. He gets youtube views, he gets on ESPN, he drives disc sales...just by the act of being him he promotes the sport in ways a small-time local volunteer can't.

Plus I've done what I've done knowing I wasn't getting anything tangible in return and that was never the goal. It doesn't really matter how much I've volunteered to the game, I decided to do that. Other people have decided to do more, and I respect those people, but I don't own them anything. Just like someone who has volunteered less than me doesn't owe me anything.

So touring pros take resources out of the sport that others put into the sport. That's the deal. That's what having touring pros is. The people putting those resources in are OK with that or they wouldn't do it. It's the deal we make.
Im okay with this so long as the touring pros are respectful of the backs they are making a living off of.

Niced: (3)
Old 10-17-2019, 10:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohtoVillage View Post
This is a really frustrating comment. So many touring pros volunteer their time teaching and training younger players (or newer players). Over the last few years, here are the touring pros I have asked to volunteer their time to do a clinic for me at Ledgestone or Worlds:

Nate Sexton, Madison Walker, Nate Perkins, Paul McBeth, Paige Pierce, Ricky Wysocki, Michael Johansen, Brian Earhart, Paul Ulibarri, etc etc etc etc. The list goes on and on. To say that our touring pros need to do more volunteer work is hard to see in written form. I can assure you that a lot of them spend considerable amounts of time growing the sport for no financial benefit.

In this case, no, I am sympathetic to the issues of touring pros in this regard. I feel that manufacturers should probably do more in the events registration side of things. If they are paying for entry fees for the players anyways, why not just have someone sign up the players so the click war/paycheck issue isn't an issue for them? I could foresee someone with each manufacturer taking on this responsibility for their various top level teams so these players do not miss the biggest events.

So these top pros, who are building a brand and selling signature discs, have no financial benefit in spending a small amount of time with new players?

Come on.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Back when I was really into BMX, the manufacturer teams had Team Managers, whose job it was to sign up their pros for contests and other related functions.

There was a lot less money in BMX back then, so why doesn't Pro Disc Golf follow that model if it's soooooo difficult for Joe Blow Top Pro to go to the library or turn on his smartphone?
Old 10-17-2019, 11:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.6
Courses Played: 194
Niced 141 Times in 80 Posts

I wonder what Joey bishop thinks of all this? 923 now....

Old 10-18-2019, 07:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,038 Times in 851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitfun View Post
in regards to making events less and less inclusive

I feel like World's lost something when it became a smaller and more exclusive event
I think most of us who had attended it years ago feel the same way but I can see the motivation for dividing it. It also lost something when the number of rounds was drastically reduced but at least they went back on that a little.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,038 Times in 851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
Im okay with this so long as the touring pros are respectful of the backs they are making a living off of.
The vast majority are. A few most decidedly are not. The few tend to stand out in your mind after they leave rather than the many. We had 2 "ladies" who were openly abusive to volunteers at USWDGC- I wrote their sponsors about it with good results from one company and a bunch of bull**** from another. IMO the sponsors should police their players better, just because a player is really good at throwing discs does not make them a good rep for a brand. It will be an interesting off season to me for this reason.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:57 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 269
Niced 73 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
The vast majority are. A few most decidedly are not. The few tend to stand out in your mind after they leave rather than the many. We had 2 "ladies" who were openly abusive to volunteers at USWDGC- I wrote their sponsors about it with good results from one company and a bunch of bull**** from another. IMO the sponsors should police their players better, just because a player is really good at throwing discs does not make them a good rep for a brand. It will be an interesting off season to me for this reason.
Not surprising at all. Some of these women are with other disc golfers going nowhere in life and have nothing outside of the sport socially. Their only friends appear to be other disc golfers so they never get to experience anything outside of the sport with a diverse group of people with different interests. Not to mention a particular manufacturer, but over the past several years, several touring players appear to only have friends and fanboys that play dg and cater to their egos even though they have no chance of ever winning anything significant. Several also mooch constantly by wanting free room and board and a local caddie at each tour stop.

Old 10-18-2019, 10:04 AM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 26.5
Courses Played: 139
Niced 989 Times in 430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
I wrote their sponsors about it with good results from one company and a bunch of bull**** from another.
Next time you do an event, order from the company with good results and email them and let them know why.

And then when you don't order from the other company, email them and let them know why.