Old 12-27-2014, 02:01 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Course Growth/Progression

While it is a little ways off, I was thinking about developing some property into a kind of disc golf compound. The ultimate goal would be to have a championship level course that could host an NT event in the future. However, the investment and space needed for this is prohibitive, especially since the area isn't particularly known for disc golf. Here is my idea for a plan:

Year 1
Develop and install a free 9 hole long pitch and putt course (holes range from 150 ft to about 325 ft)
Run events like the Birdie Bash, Ace Race and Trilogy Challenge to increase exposure
Small dedicated on course retail

Year 2
Add 18 championship holes (one tee, one pin placement, pay to play)
Run small C-tier events using the championship holes

Year 3+
Add 2nd tee and two more pin positions per hole
Run awesome B-tier and A-tier events

Does this seem like a realistic progression?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2014, 02:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,758 Times in 1,561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicweed View Post
While it is a little ways off, I was thinking about developing some property into a kind of disc golf compound. The ultimate goal would be to have a championship level course that could host an NT event in the future. However, the investment and space needed for this is prohibitive, especially since the area isn't particularly known for disc golf. Here is my idea for a plan:

Year 1
Develop and install a free 9 hole long pitch and putt course (holes range from 150 ft to about 325 ft)
Run events like the Birdie Bash, Ace Race and Trilogy Challenge to increase exposure
Small dedicated on course retail

Year 2
Add 18 championship holes (one tee, one pin placement, pay to play)
Run small C-tier events using the championship holes

Year 3+
Add 2nd tee and two more pin positions per hole
Run awesome B-tier and A-tier events

Does this seem like a realistic progression?
Realistic as a progression? Yes. Doable in your proposed time frame? Depends entirely on how much you're willing to invest before you absolutely have to start seeing returns.

Obviously, you're footing the entirety of the expense for the initial build (targets, tees, cutting fairways, etc). The question would then be how much of that expense do you need to recoup (some, most, or all) before you take the next step in your evolution.

In other words, once you have the 9-hole pitch and putt, do you need to stop and try to make back the money spent on targets and materials before proceeding, or can you plunge on and buy the additional targets and materials needed for the 18 hole championship course?

If you have to make back some or all of the initial investment before moving on, you're likely looking at more than a year before the first step and the next. Particularly if you're in an area where you basically have to create much of your local player base (which is essential to the course surviving and thriving).
Old 12-27-2014, 05:10 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

I will agree strongly with the rationing behind JC's post above. The timeframe seems too compressed to likely match realistic growth, as most areas see it, especially if growing from the ground up or from a zero position.

One could also take the end backward approach in thinking about this. An NT (or upper level regional event) is a "jewel" event in the event pyramid. It takes the most manpower and staffing. And manpower and staffing that isn't playing. A Championship level event is in essence a "splurge" for an area that is doing everything else well and can handle the risk.
How many staffers would one need? How many volunteers? How many people on a fundraising team? How many Sponsors?

Now figure out how long it will take to grow a pyramid of lesser involved players to end up with that many upper tier helpers. If good helpers and staffers are (1% or x%) to be found out of a community, how big does the community need to be?

My side note is this: IF the land for the compound or complex is privately held - will you be one holding the note? Or will it be your residence if it isn't already? I see most DG complex business plans on paper never make it past paper due to this part. The land note, insurance, risk management, interest, taxes, etc.

Borrowed land (permission of landowner), family land, or (favorable slow ramp operational lease) arrangements tend to have a better chance of seeing black at some point… maybe.

That being said, I think there is room for a DG compound/complex to work and work reasonably well if one, two or more fortunate ace cards are in place. (favorable land use deal, property already staffed for something else, operational lease from a family member for a dollar, etc)

Last edited by Royal Hill; 12-27-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:02 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 62
Niced 15 Times in 11 Posts

Realistic? Sure. As long as you don't plan on making any money. But there isn't a single sane person who goes into the disc golf business thinking that they're gonna make any money at it, so unless you're insane, you should be good to go.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:11 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 35
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

I understand that the timetable is a bit compressed. I might be better off developing it over a longer time period and concentrate on growing the disc golf community in the area. The land would be combined with a residence (60+ acres total, probably designating 45 to disc golf with the development of the two courses) and I know money wouldn't be the focus right off the bat. However, it would be nice to be able to maintain the larger course using the funds from the retail operation and the pay to play of the larger course. I have extensive experience with selective tree cutting and excavation (gotta love family businesses) so a lot of the major labor would be my own time.

Using my life experiences I felt like this would be one of the best ways to help grow the sport, while adding another excellent course and eventually another excellent event to the yearly schedule. I know the people on here are among the most hardcore regarding the sport so I'm seeing what kind of reception a plan like this would get.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,480 Times in 1,517 Posts

It's a great dream.

I'd skip Year 1. It's not going to help you much with Years 2 and 3.

Be aware that there's a lot more to having awesome B- and A-tiers, let alone NTs, than have a "championship course". Assuming we even know what that means. There are a lot of great courses---many privately built---that do not host big events.