Old 05-12-2015, 04:35 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 491 Times in 191 Posts
Default Who here throws with a straight arm?

Like Feldberg?

I mess with it all the time and it's like a hyzer canon. It's all over the place, which is the reason I use a bent arm for golf shots - but I feel like the disc is deforming in my hand during the hit with a straight arm, with a tiny little hop / pump the disc.

I think the perfect timing that Dave has, coupled with how much leverage you can get on the disc is the main reason he's able to keep up with most of the top card guys.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2015, 07:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,822 Times in 1,732 Posts

I can feel the disc warping more from the increased leverage. I feel like I can throw real straight and faster with it on hyzer, but also have a tendency to hook it. Dave is probably throwing real stiff plastics and he likes more over-stable molds probably because of the increased speed vs spin.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:09 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 21.4
Courses Played: 29
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I drive, approach and putt with a bent elbow. It work for me, not sure if I would see any gain by throwing with a straight arm. He seems to be eliminating the use of half the muscles in his upper body by doing this.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:13 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 98
Niced 232 Times in 124 Posts

Isn't that what they call "Swedish style"? I think I do this more than I should for a couple reasons. I've had elbow problems and this style seems to take some of the pressure off of my elbow. Also, like many men my age, I'm carrying a few extra pounds around the middle and lack the flexibility that I once had. It's easier to get leverage this way than to do a proper reach back and upper body turn. The upside is that I can generate a lot of power throwing this way. The downside is that most of my drives come out on a hyzer angle. I think disc selection is even more important if you throw this way.

P.S. My arm is not totally straight, just more than is probably good.

Last edited by art_vandelay; 05-12-2015 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 50
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

I have a little bit of the feldy straight arm going on. Honestly my swing is such a mess that I couldn't tell you a realist advantage or disadvantage, as I'm in the rebuilding process. Maybe in a few months I could offer some actual insight.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:47 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Seems like the swedish style wouldn't be great for wooded golf. No evidence to back that up but I feel like I can get a better/straighter line using the bent elbow.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 54
Niced 15 Times in 12 Posts

Are the mechanics of the Swedish any different from the wide rail or hammer pound other than keeping the elbow fairly straight? Do the shoulders need to open earlier to help pull the arm around or anything else like that?
Old 05-14-2015, 01:33 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,098 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougCrawford View Post
Are the mechanics of the Swedish any different from the wide rail or hammer pound other than keeping the elbow fairly straight? Do the shoulders need to open earlier to help pull the arm around or anything else like that?
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...=swedish+style
Old 05-14-2015, 02:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 36
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
I read through that and I still don't get it. Although, I don't understand most of the stuff in the technique forums. I can't even tell you what my style is.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 54
Niced 15 Times in 12 Posts

After reading all that, it seems like the difference between these is where the the majority of the effort is applied, and consequently, how much spin vs. speed is put into the disc. The Swedish looks like it has more power going into the throw early, has the highest speed, but the lowest spin of the 3 styles. The Hammer pound, or whip as they describe it in that thread, has almost all the effort happening right at the end of the throw, and gives the disc much more spin, but not as much speed. The Wide Rail looks like its in between the two.

Looking at mechanics of other things- the Swedish looks like a catapult, Wide rail looks like a trebuchet, and hammer pound looks like a whip cracking.

Could be wrong, these are my observations.