Old 09-26-2017, 01:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 593 Times in 433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
OK, quoting this instead of a new thread, but basically, Defy vs. Photon? I bought a Defy to be my Wave companion. After buying a few Waves, I found one(168 Neutron) that is perfect for me in dead wind or slight downwind. It's also great into some wind if I need a long continued turnover since I do not throw forehand. Defy, on paper, was the one. Holy crap did I ever end up with the wrong disc(173). I don't know if I just ended up with one on the more OS side of the curve and not sure what to do now. I see Photons in Fission come in the 160s. I don't want anything really light since this disc is needed for throws my Wave cannot handle. Options?

Try heavier Waves? Proton Wave? Heaviest Fission Photon I can find? Another Defy? Does color matter?
Ain't no freak.

All the Defy's I have are pretty darn OS. Well, depends on the weight. I have 3 max weight and they are lasers with solid HSS and a sharp late fade, the 165g I have has some bend to it but not a lot and always hooks up. Defy in general is stable to OS, so if you want a more stable WAVE, I'd say Max weight Proton Wave, or venture out and try a Tresspass - for me the Trespass was like a more stable wave. Get a Fuzion Trespass at whatever weight you like and the flight will be like that.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2017, 01:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 826 Times in 565 Posts

I have a couple of Trespasses. I like them ok. I just wanted something from the overmolders to go with the wave. I can't really defend it-just something I wanted to do.

I ran the Defy through the dryer just now and tried some tuning/bending. We have not had any decent wind lately for OS disc testing. May have to wait for this front to come through.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 165
Niced 460 Times in 208 Posts

I am in the same boat - looking for a notch-more-stable Wave in the 150s. I ordered a 155 Neutron Defy x 2 for testing, so we will see how it does for my low-300s distance. I expect to have to beat it up a bit, and it may still be a meathook for me. Oh well, I am willing to do my part to support the disc golf industry.

When my throw is on I have no trouble keeping a 155 Neutron Wave on hyzer to flat or slight turn, even in headwinds or downhill. Wave also holds a long anny beautifully, usually with a late flex. As Aim has said, though, the Wave rides the knife-edge of stability vs. understability, so if my throw is off a little bit - holy runaway Wave turnover.

The Wave does surprisingly well as a FH disc, probably because it is so flat I get a clean release. I used to be able to throw FH around 300' but I aggravated an old shoulder injury, and didn't throw FH for a while. I have been throwing lots of putter and mid FH approaches, and I am cautiously adding FH drives back to my game.

Hoping that a beat-up Defy in the 150s is a little more workable than advertised. If not, I may try a low-150s Neutron Wrath. Previously I tried Wrath in the low-160s, but they needed flex to fly like I wanted.

I am a hyzer-flipper and most of my discs are understable so developing flex shot habits is dangerous for me.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:20 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 127 Times in 100 Posts

Get you a Fission photon in the 150s and you should be good to go. They crush but are a touch more stable than a wave.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Thanks! Photon is more workable than Defy?
Old 09-26-2017, 02:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Also, low-150s Fission Photon less overstable than low-150s Plasma Photon?

Thanks!
Old 09-26-2017, 03:33 PM
* Ace Member *

It's a catch 22. The OS discs don't fly well until they are beat, and when fresh, I don't have a use for them to get them beat lol.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
It's a catch 22. The OS discs don't fly well until they are beat, and when fresh, I don't have a use for them to get them beat lol.
Exactly. The wooded courses I play rarely demand shots other than variations on straight. Big fades usually = further into the rough.

I may be on a fruitless quest for the proverbial "longer Teebird". In my case a seasoned-to-straight-stable 155 DX Teebird. Still my favorite disc ever. If it was just not DX, lol.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post

I may be on a fruitless quest for the proverbial "longer Teebird". In my case a seasoned-to-straight-stable 155 DX Teebird. Still my favorite disc ever. If it was just not DX, lol.
Thunderbird did not work? The Pros are pretty darn straight.

Tried an Opto Falchion?

Niced: (1)

Old 09-26-2017, 05:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Thunderbird did not work? The Pros are pretty darn straight.
Tried a 162 G* Thunderbird. Nice disc, but not magic for me. I did not realize the Thunderbird was out in Pro. Looks like 165 is the lightest Pro ThB, unfortunately.

Quote:
Tried an Opto Falchion?
I have not tried a Falchion, although it sounds like a nice disc. I have been throwing S-FDs for years, and worked on different angles they cover most of my straight, fade, mild flex, and headwind lines, without losing much distance to distance drivers. S-FD is my more-durable-seasoned-DX-Teebird substitute.

Thanks for the suggestions!