#1  
Old 06-14-2016, 06:43 PM
mattc's Avatar
mattc mattc is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Shelton, Wa.
Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 32
Posts: 3,455
Niced 44 Times in 37 Posts
Default Spark vs. XXX

Looking for a small rimmed os driver type utility for my wife.
One of its main uses will be for big flare skips around close corners
I use a xxx for this shot, and was wondering if a spark will skip up as well?
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-14-2016, 07:38 PM
Dr.Smooth Dr.Smooth is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Midwest
Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,800
Niced 203 Times in 142 Posts
Default

whoa these are super stable strong armed discs. not for the faint of heart.

I would go with like 150 class something that is os.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-14-2016, 08:13 PM
Um...'s Avatar
Um... Um... is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: by the sea
Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 38
Posts: 1,524
Niced 170 Times in 64 Posts
Default

Depending on how far your wife throws, I'd imagine the Spark to be the less frustrating, more workable disc. Especially the newer Sparks which were tweaked to be less OS than the first runs. A lighter weight GL XXX might be a feasible option too, as they tend to be a little more tame than the Optos. A Trident might even be a good choice...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-14-2016, 09:06 PM
zendragon's Avatar
zendragon zendragon is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Texas
Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,950
Niced 208 Times in 131 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Um... View Post
Depending on how far your wife throws, I'd imagine the Spark to be the less frustrating, more workable disc. Especially the newer Sparks which were tweaked to be less OS than the first runs. A lighter weight GL XXX might be a feasible option too, as they tend to be a little more tame than the Optos. A Trident might even be a good choice...
My 166 GL XXX is much more stable than my Opto ever was. I don't think they make them much lighter than that. I've only thrown the one Opto, but both GLs I've thrown were more stable.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-14-2016, 11:19 PM
Moose33 Moose33 is offline
Salient/Yikun Groupie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 5,202
Niced 1,030 Times in 671 Posts
Default

Don't get her a XXX unless she doesn't plan to throw it much over 150.

The recycled Sparks should have a good skip and are supposed to be less stable than the Opto. I think that could be the better of the two.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-15-2016, 07:13 AM
wims wims is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oslo, Norway
Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,135
Niced 311 Times in 182 Posts
Default

The Opto Spark doesn't have a huge skip like a FaF firebird or even warp speed discs like the Destroyer or the Ape. It seems to me that a lot of the energy is absorbed by the soft Opto material, the material is kind of flexing when the disc hits the ground at a shallow angle. It does get *some* skip/flare, but not a huge amount IMO. YMMV
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-15-2016, 08:58 AM
VictorB's Avatar
VictorB VictorB is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,893
Niced 1,113 Times in 563 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattc View Post
Looking for a small rimmed os driver type utility for my wife.
One of its main uses will be for big flare skips around close corners
I use a xxx for this shot, and was wondering if a spark will skip up as well?
150 class champ firebird. The spark is more like a cPD from what I've been told? Less overstable than a champ firebird.

Could even try a whippet, viper, or banshee depending on how far she's throwing. I'd not recommend a xxx to anyone that's not got a very strong arm and a lot of experience

Last edited by VictorB; 06-15-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-15-2016, 09:12 AM
wims wims is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oslo, Norway
Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,135
Niced 311 Times in 182 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
150 class champ firebird. The spark is more like a cPD from what I've been told? Less overstable than a champ firebird.

Could even try a whippet, viper, or banshee depending on how far she's throwing. I'd not recommend a xxx to anyone that's not got a very strong arm and a lot of experience
The Spark is pretty damn overstable, it's almost like an xxx. It's not a whimpy disc at all, it's honestly very similar to a Firebird. Pure utility beef ... at least the opto line. Apparently the recycled ones are less stable, more of a workhorse
Reply With Quote
 

  #9  
Old 06-15-2016, 09:33 AM
Snaques Snaques is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Finland
Courses Played: 38
Posts: 617
Niced 12 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wims View Post
The Spark is pretty damn overstable, it's almost like an xxx. It's not a whimpy disc at all, it's honestly very similar to a Firebird. Pure utility beef ... at least the opto line. Apparently the recycled ones are less stable, more of a workhorse
Agreed.

I don't have the cleanest flick, so when I started to turn over Felons in headwind I added the Opto Spark to the bag and I can be quite confident with it even in headwinds. Really close to a XXX, IMHO.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ignite the SPARK BirdieMachine Discs 224 09-23-2019 03:42 PM
New - Saint, Spark, Felon tomsdiscs The Marketplace 0 05-29-2016 02:36 PM
Recycled Spark vs Longbowman Hoss22 Discs 2 05-22-2016 08:32 PM
XXX vs Spark zendragon Discs 5 01-04-2016 01:21 AM
I need the spark again! JoshH989 General Disc Golf Chat 11 06-21-2013 09:48 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.