Old 04-23-2017, 02:07 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,184 Times in 601 Posts
Default Mint Discs

Looks like there is a new disc company out of Austin, Texas called Mint Discs. From what some here have noted, MVP is molding for them. (Not sure if this has been corroborated yet)

Here's the link to their site: https://mintdiscs.com/

And FB: https://www.facebook.com/mintdiscs/?...PAGES_TIMELINE

One of the cool features that sticks out (besides the sweet looking plastic) is that each run is stamped onto the disc so you know exactly what to look for, and there'll be no guesswork in the future. This sort of attention to detail definitely appeals to the disc nerds in all of us, but I think would be interesting even to the casual thrower.

This is a sweet LE stamp (which in this plastic may not feature the serial numbers):

Here is what Mint Discs has to say this offering:

Quote:
Mint Discs is proud to release the Alpha as our first disc. This disc fills the essential go-to fairway slot in every golfers bag. Designed to be a true Power Fairway with straight flight and reliable fade, the Alpha will respond to the line and power you give it. Capable of fighting headwinds or carving up the woods, the Alpha is a uniquely stable disc we absolutely love and hope you do too.

Flight Ratings: Speed 8 / Glide 4 / Turn 0 / Fade 2
Looks like a solid first mold. I might end up checking Mint out, and wish them the best going forward. And if it is a partnership with MVP, then it's great that their branching out into molding for other companies. Win-win all around.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2017, 02:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 354 Times in 223 Posts

Good luck to them.

I'm not sure how new companies can carve out a spot in the market right now. Seems so full

Old 04-23-2017, 02:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 29
Niced 345 Times in 218 Posts

But do they smell minty?

If that disc were a 7 speed it would be an FD2 -- solid first disc choice.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,125 Times in 642 Posts

Numbers look like a tad OS Volt.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 28
Niced 226 Times in 110 Posts

For those that remember me...

I started up MINT with a couple friends in Austin. The Serial # was something I thought was really important and unique.

What became MINT was something I had always wanted to do at Disc Nation and it became a pretty big priority of mine when I left after the change in ownership. I'll check in on this thread and answer any questions I can. Really happy to get this off the ground after 2 years of planning.

ZJ

Old 04-23-2017, 04:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 34.3
Courses Played: 30
Niced 126 Times in 83 Posts

I've a question: the description on the website says it's speed 8, while the rim width suggests it would be speed 10 (as I understand it), so does it carry shorter than most other discs with the same rim width?
Old 04-23-2017, 04:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFL View Post
I've a question: the description on the website says it's speed 8, while the rim width suggests it would be speed 10 (as I understand it), so does it carry shorter than most other discs with the same rim width?
It is most definitely a fairway driver in the shape of many of the classics. We honestly argued if it should be a 9, because of how fast it comes out of the hand. Pretty much can handle any distance that a speed 7-9 would. We are also going to be updating the glide to 5, that was the intended rating and I didn't update the website before launch :/

It is very responsive to the line you put it on. That is definitely the key thing to understand when throwing it-- It will hold the angle and speed you put it on. So for some people that throw flat or with slight anny you will see it hold that forward really well before the fade kicks in. Holds forehands really well too, nice and straight.

Niced: (2)
Old 04-23-2017, 04:25 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 15
Niced 59 Times in 34 Posts

I went out to Disc Nation today and got to throw an Apex Alpha side by side with an Icon Rival (the disc that currently fills that slot in my bag).

First impression was that the Apex had a really prominent dome on it, much more than the Eternal Alphas I held. Not into that so much, but I did like both plastics, good flex to both and grip was nice.

Flight was very close to the Rival for me. I was throwing into a stiff headwind and subsequently a big tailwind. Both discs had above average speed for a fairway driver, and the glide was average. I'd like to throw the Alpha in more neutral conditions to see how it powers down. Between these two specific discs, for me it would come down to feel. The Alpha was more comfortable due to smoother contours, but the Rival has increased depth which makes grip in my better.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkimbertx View Post
I went out to Disc Nation today and got to throw an Apex Alpha side by side with an Icon Rival (the disc that currently fills that slot in my bag).

First impression was that the Apex had a really prominent dome on it, much more than the Eternal Alphas I held. Not into that so much, but I did like both plastics, good flex to both and grip was nice.

Flight was very close to the Rival for me. I was throwing into a stiff headwind and subsequently a big tailwind. Both discs had above average speed for a fairway driver, and the glide was average. I'd like to throw the Alpha in more neutral conditions to see how it powers down. Between these two specific discs, for me it would come down to feel. The Alpha was more comfortable due to smoother contours, but the Rival has increased depth which makes grip in my better.
Was it a Red Apex? That one hast he most dome of any Alpha. Sean(the owner) has been loving his because of the added glide from the dome.

And yeah...the wind is pretty crazy today. I made the mistake of going to Steeplechase in this wind haha.

We are having a launch party at Disc Nation on May 6th. Come test the other colors. Free beer and tacos too

Old 04-23-2017, 04:28 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1,184 Times in 601 Posts

Good to see you around again, ZJ. I had a feeling you were involved with this because of the serial numbers. I know that is something you and Zam hold dear to your hearts from the Millennium days.

So can you confirm or deny if MVP is molding these for you?