Old 03-06-2019, 08:43 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Club Financial Weakness

HI,
I have been an organizer of a number of sports and sport teams and in DG it strikes me that the clubs are the weak spot in support of DG. I think it's possible that one contributing factor is that the PDGA requirements in terms of players packs and pro payouts are keeping clubs weak as tournaments are not profitable. Clubs are going to be the ones who make new courses and it doesn't seem like they have the financial backing they need so I am thinking the sport overall is in a weak position long-term despite the short term rise of the sport.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Boi~~
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2019, 09:01 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 692
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,621 Times in 735 Posts

C-tiers do allow pro payouts of 85% but I'm thinking pressure from the club pro members likely ends up with 100% or more payouts to pro divisions. There are other ways clubs can make money running events but I suspect that the various ways clubs appropriate money is all over the map based on their reason for forming.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,123 Times in 641 Posts

Are the clubs going to be the ones to make new courses? I have seen no evidence of this. I have seen clubs go to city council and plead for courses being put in, citing low cost and shared use, but little in the way of finance.

What benefit does being a member of a club bring the common player? I don't need a club to go play with my friends.
I carry an arborist saw and do course clean up on my own, no need for a club there.
I know of no events that one has to be a club member to participate in other than bag tags, so very little draw there.
The social elite doesn't play disc golf, so no draw to be a club member there either.

I think clubs are weak in disc golf as they serve the common player very little. Make the club serve either a capitilist function or a social function, then you will see the clubs become stronger.

Last edited by wolfmandragon; 03-06-2019 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 197
Niced 1,896 Times in 1,097 Posts

one could argue pdga makes the sport weak
Old 03-06-2019, 09:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 197
Niced 1,896 Times in 1,097 Posts

also dg attracts a certain demographic of players

Old 03-06-2019, 09:13 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 520
Niced 153 Times in 72 Posts

This is the first year I'm not a club member in a while. With Huntsville's continuing dysfunction, I'd rather associate with just a few disc golfers and not be involved with a club.

In the past, I have volunteered for many club activities. My last club involvement was running a PDGA league to help rebuild the club's coffers after the previous president left the bank account empty.

So yes I agree, club's aren't offering much now-a-days but drama.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:29 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

I see communities with inexpensive land growing the number of courses via government cooperation and I see anywhere that land is expensive there are no courses, or very few- and the government will not cooperate - so no new courses.

I also see courses being closed or converted to other activities when land gets expensive or as cities grow. And, clubs can't grow to have a large enough voice to push back or redevelop. I think this is concerning, and will eventually require a different model. But, that's why I posted to see what others think.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by jeffboi; 03-06-2019 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,433 Times in 1,503 Posts

It's all local. I've been part of a club that was financially solvent, made money running PDGA tournaments, and got things done---including cooperation with local government installing new courses. It's being strong and weak in waves, depending on leadership.

If the PDGA tournament structure is the problem, clubs can always run non-sanctioned events.

Old 03-06-2019, 09:41 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

Do you think there is any truth to my land price theory. Land around Columbia is super cheap for the most part as is land around Spartanburg where I see tons of new and great courses. I don't see the same thing near the coast.

Charlotte has tons of great course on the periphery, but are new ones going in as the city grows ... I am not sure.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 31
Niced 714 Times in 348 Posts

I can say my local club has been run very well for years. They're in good shape financially, and they invest most of that back into local courses.

Niced: (2)