Old 12-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 165
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 460 Times in 208 Posts
Default 150 bag for an old fart

I switched to 150s when I passed 50, and I love it so far (the discs more than the age). I particularly enjoy flicking 150s; much less wear and tear on my creaky shoulder.

Backhand distance is around 300’, maybe more if I’m feeling frisky. Forehand distance is a little less, but working its way back up again after an injury. I throw pretty much everything in the bag forehand and backhand.

I am particularly interested in your thoughts on the stable control driver slot, but any comments, suggestions, or witty ridicule will be appreciated.

Stable control driver: The perfect disc would weigh 150 grams and fly like a more durable, mildly-seasoned 165 DX Gazelle. I hope to audition two lovely contestants this weekend:
150 gummy Champ Gazelle or 150 TP / Pro-D Cyclone
If those discs don’t work, I may try a 150 Q or SJLS or 150 Q PLS, but I worry that they may overlap with the Leopard and lack stability for headwinds. If all else fails, I will try to find some elusive 150 DX Gazelles or use beat-up 150 DX Teebirds or Eagles.

Understable driver:
154 Champ Leopard: This is my main driver in the woods, works well for uphill shots, and absolutely bombs downhill.

Distance driver:
150 Star Valkyrie: Main distance driver, backhand and forehand.
150 Champ Valkyrie: Well-beaten, for distance turnovers and hyzer flips. I traded for this one used – are Champ Valks normally more understable than Star?

Moderately overstable driver:
150 P PD: This is becoming longer as it breaks in. On windy days I carry a 150 Star Eagle or Champ / Star Teebird.

Very overstable driver:
154 Champ Banshee: This has been getting a lot of use lately, and has taken over mid-length forehands that I used to throw with heavier DX Rocs. I have even started fooling with get-out-of-trouble forehand rollers.

Midranges:
150 DX Rocs: I was worried about throwing Rocs in the 150s but except for my less-than-pristine forehand (see Banshee), Rocs seem to fly like Rocs regardless. I am working on beating up a Roc to test against the Comet.
150 KC Pro Roc: I hope that the extra stability will help with flicks, at least until I can clean up my forehand. I will test this weekend.
163 Z Comet: Cheater "heavy" disc, at least until I can beat up a 150 Roc and compare.

Putters:
165 - 168 SS Magic: Putting putter and understable approach shots.
162 - 165 SS Wizard: Short flicks, stable approaches, and windy putts.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 83
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

i think your bag is solid. My uncle throws all drivers under 165..and its very similar to your setup.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

those 150 star TBs i traded you didn't make the cut? i'm still beating up the dx 150 TBs i got to replace them for that slot in my bag.

i've also found the same thing as you re: the usability of 150 rocs, although with my knee getting better and the winds picking up i've moved back to heavier discs (160-170g) for most of the slots in my bag. i'd just stick w/ the banshee for most mid/short length FHs, probably- but i don't have much of a FH to speak of, so you may have more specialized needs there.

how much longer are you finding the PD than your f'way drivers or valk? i've been toying with the idea of testing out a 150g PD and would be interested to hear your take.

in terms of molds/overlap/whatever, it looks like a good bag to me- i'd feel comfortable using that setup in anything short of high winds.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 168
Niced 2,253 Times in 1,050 Posts

150 P PD bombs. It really does.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
i think your bag is solid. My uncle throws all drivers under 165..and its very similar to your setup.
Sweet, thanks!
Old 12-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 83
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post
Sweet, thanks!
he's 55....throws 150 valks alot...also flicks a 150 flick. He prefers max wt putters tho. I am giving him a 150 10x banshee for xmas....so im sure hell be using that for fairway shots...

mike
Old 12-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweather_fan View Post
those 150 star TBs i traded you didn't make the cut?
Teebirds have a way of tagging along, even when they are not in the bag. The 150 Star Teebirds seem more stable than their heavier brethren, but they probably just need a little breaking in.

Quote:
how much longer are you finding the PD than your f'way drivers or valk? i've been toying with the idea of testing out a 150g PD and would be interested to hear your take.
The PD and Valk fly similar distances for me, but the different flight paths are useful. I have not thrown drivers in the field for a while, so it is difficult to compare in numbers.

Quote:
in terms of molds/overlap/whatever, it looks like a good bag to me- i'd feel comfortable using that setup in anything short of high winds.
I played two blustery rounds last weekend. The 150 bag did surprisingly well, and your 150 TBs came in quite handy. Thanks!
Old 12-03-2010, 11:24 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 41.3
Courses Played: 79
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post
I switched to 150s when I passed 50, and I love it so far (the discs more than the age). I particularly enjoy flicking 150s; much less wear and tear on my creaky shoulder.
He's a bit older, but Dr. Rick Voakes seem to do quite well throwing mostly 150 class discs.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:15 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Van View Post
He's a bit older, but Dr. Rick Voakes seem to do quite well throwing mostly 150 class discs.
989-rated Senior Grandmaster? That’s inspiring.

Nice, simple bag, too – Sidewinder, Teebird, Leopard, Banshee, Aviar. Strangely, no midranges listed, though. Hmmm.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 11
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Couple of weeks, I will be fifty.

I enjoy the 150g class, you are spot on with your choices.

Sidewinder, TeeBird, I throw back hand on the inside and use really light ROC DX's. ION med and soft for putting duties. For wind and other things, I use a beat up Banshee that is 160ish, love Banshees, have four or five in various states and plastics. The Sidewinder I use a lot as I can control the way it finishes a little better than others.

Thanks for posting your bag, I'll get around to posting mine one day soon.