Old 02-06-2019, 10:53 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 105
Niced 51 Times in 31 Posts
Default Subtractive Color Help

I've got a yellow disc and wanted to put some blue art work on it. now realizing colors from dyeing will follow subtractive rules. If I put Blue dye on a Yellow disc, its mostly just going to look black.

Anyone find of way to get a nice blue color on a yellow disc?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2019, 08:04 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 55 Times in 18 Posts

It really depends on the plastic type. Star or goldline type plastic does change the color of your dye more so than champ or opto type plastic. I have dyed red on yellow star plastic with great results but blue always looks black or grey and as it migrates and fades turns green.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-08-2019, 11:08 AM
Par Member

I tried out the blue on some Yellow champ I had laying around and it came out looking black again.

Don't think there is a way to have yellow and blue play nice.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:33 PM
Bogey Member

This is yellow champ plastic and it is more yellow on the flight plate than clear and the blue dye was old RIT royal blue that was warm dye bath dipped and it turned out a decent blue color. Its not a brilliant blue but at least it doesn't look black. Are you using Idye Poly? How are you applying the dye? Warm dye bath dip, laundry soap mixed with dye powder painting, acetone mixed with dye powder painting, shaving cream mixed with dye powder?

I have found that the method that you use to dye also can change the color dramatically.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:23 PM
Par Member

I've been using IDye Poly and applying the powder and acetone mixture (a little watered down) with a paintbrush.

My stuff isn't 100% black, its a very dark grey where I can see blue if I want to believe. Darker than your dye though.

Old 02-08-2019, 03:47 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonesocrul View Post
I've been using IDye Poly and applying the powder and acetone mixture (a little watered down) with a paintbrush.

My stuff isn't 100% black, its a very dark grey where I can see blue if I want to believe. Darker than your dye though.
I would try changing it up and apply your dye using a different method, more diluted version of your acetone mixture, a warm dye bath in a pot on the stove (you can check your shade every 30 seconds), I paint dye onto my stencils a lot using the 1/2 TBS of laundry detergent and 1 TSP of powdered dye then use some heat to help the dye set. Just keep experimenting until you find the color your are looking for. You could even try some different brands of dye sometimes you can get old rit on a good deal on Ebay and Pro Chemical has a nice blue dye in their disperse dyes. Good luck!