Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 09-14-2019, 11:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 692 Times in 545 Posts
Default Kong

Finally got to throw another Kong today. This is another of the ESP prototypes (as is my other Kong). The one I threw today was noticeably flatter. No real dome at all. The weight sticker is gone, so I don't know how much it weighs.

Its actually fairly manageable compared to my first Kong. Not as beefy. This new Kong actually had a little high speed turn. It still has a fairly harsh (and early) late fade, but I was getting a nice 380' out of it consistently today.

In all honesty, these prototype Kongs remind me of McBeth 4X star Destroyers. They literally fly exactly the same. Maybe a smidge of high speed turn followed by a fairly dumpy late fade. For me the two Kongs I have would be on the top end of the overstability spectrum as far as star Destroyers go. The Kongs are good headwind discs, and they will always fade pretty hard no matter what conditions you throw them in.

I'd be interested to try one of the newer Zeuses. I hear they're a little less beefy than the Kong prototypes. Make no mistake, those Kong prototypes are NOT for wimpy arms. They do respond well to brute throws, but if you miss your throw even a little the disc will penalize you with a really short, overstable flight.

The ESP plastic on both of my Kong prototypes is buttery smooth and utterly perfect. Such beautiful color variations.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2019, 03:20 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 181 Times in 97 Posts

My experience so far is that the First runs and Big Zs have noticeable more glide than the flat protos, and are less beefy than the domey protos. (all of my first runs and big Zs have the same profile. Just a normal dome. Not pop top, not flat.

The Big Z have a ton of glide. I can throw a Big Z on a hyzer and it will carry the hyzer and glide just as far as one of the flat protos flipped up to flat with a little turn.

I am leaning toward dropping the flat protos completely, and begin seasoning in a first run, but I currently carry:

1 seasoned, flat proto which I generally only really reach for when I need a hyzer flip lazer or a turnover with late flex.
1 Big Z, which is my go-to bomber.
1 domey proto, which is beefy and holds up to winds

Last edited by Jkosk; 09-16-2019 at 03:23 AM.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 692 Times in 545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkosk View Post
My experience so far is that the First runs and Big Zs have noticeable more glide than the flat protos, and are less beefy than the domey protos. (all of my first runs and big Zs have the same profile. Just a normal dome. Not pop top, not flat.

The Big Z have a ton of glide. I can throw a Big Z on a hyzer and it will carry the hyzer and glide just as far as one of the flat protos flipped up to flat with a little turn.

I am leaning toward dropping the flat protos completely, and begin seasoning in a first run, but I currently carry:

1 seasoned, flat proto which I generally only really reach for when I need a hyzer flip lazer or a turnover with late flex.
1 Big Z, which is my go-to bomber.
1 domey proto, which is beefy and holds up to winds
Yeah, I wouldn't take my star Destroyer out of the bag for either of my proto Kongs. The Kongs are beefier and shorter than the Destroyer I throw. My 2 Kongs remind me of really flat, stubborn 4X McBeth star Destroyers.

Even when I massacre one of the Kongs it seems to fly shorter than my Destroyer.

Old 10-21-2019, 07:13 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 149 Times in 69 Posts

Finally got to throw the Zeus today. I had two of the first runs. One was near max weight and also threw a mid 160s as well. The max weight one flew like I thought it would. Didn't see the -1 turn but it had good forward fade. I like this one for forehands as well. Probably going to be my go-to forehand distance driver. The lighter Zeus when thrown hard and flat it went right with out a thought of coming back. When I threw it with hyzer it will flip up ride a but to the right and came all the way back at the end.

Niced: (1)