Old 04-01-2019, 07:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,309 Times in 2,283 Posts

edited and moved to its proper thread...
Sponsored Links

Last edited by brutalbrutus; 04-01-2019 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:06 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 7
Niced 311 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcón View Post
Yes, he is 20 years old. And he needs to work on that putting, not distance.
His putter work is world class, absolute elite in the putting compartment. Not sure why you think he needs to work on that
Old 04-01-2019, 08:20 AM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1,184 Times in 601 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wims View Post
His putter work is world class, absolute elite in the putting compartment. Not sure why you think he needs to work on that
Did you see how he ended Waco? Or how he 4 putted at Vegas last year? Don't get me wrong, he's an awesome putter. He could just be a little more awesomer.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,309 Times in 2,283 Posts

Quote:
Did you see how he ended Waco? Or how he 4 putted at Vegas last year? Don't get me wrong, he's an awesome putter. He could just be a little more awesomer.
That's the big problem with his style of spin putting. If he's off, it can get ugly real quick but if he's on. Plus that hard flat spin putt is great for windy days.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-01-2019, 09:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,369 Times in 794 Posts

Well "older" does not often mean "faster". . .he has a super fast arm, and i don´t think he will be faster with age, most athletes dont . . .but Eagle don´t need more distance, he can outdrive Paul and Ricky with ease.

I feel he looses to Paul and Ricky in the 250-400feet range.

About his ITB it felt like marketing for the new Discmania discs
Old 04-01-2019, 09:46 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 7
Niced 311 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
He's pretty much the best putter in the world IMO
Old 04-01-2019, 11:18 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 17
Niced 47 Times in 38 Posts

Here we are on the internet, telling a 1050 rated player how he sucks

But back on the topic of the video. Definitely a few promo things thrown in this video, which is to be expected from a sponsors video. Hearing Eagle talking about how a disc is flippy so he has to use it for FH just makes me want to quit and go cry in the corner.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 24
Niced 709 Times in 291 Posts

I don't think anyone should be surprised that a top tier pro is highlighting new discs. Hell the more less stable discs these pros would love on the more normal people would buy and the better their game would be. I'm just sad he's talking about eventually replacing the FD completely. The FD is so good, everybody needs a neutral fairway driver in their bag.

If we're going to start complaining about pros hucking sponsors for dollars we better start finding other ways to pay them to play on tour. Not to mention everyone that bought a new McBeth disc from Discraft would have to eat crow.

He definitely doesn't need another foot of distance and I would honestly be surprised if he achieved any more substantial gains. He would need to increase muscle mass, tendon strength, and flexibility while decreasing max effort reps throughout the week. Hard to do as a touring player and by the time he is 24 he will likely have suffered an injury from throwing as hard and as often as he does. Besides at some point raw distance is meaningless as really well designed courses limit the return on throw length beyond the expected average + 10% and the best courses start to penalize throws outside of that expected zone.

That FH CD2 throw at the end was so freaking smooth and with his powered down distance it still took the fade right out of that disc. No one else outside of that echelon needs a super OS PD2 or MF Max in the bag. Eagle could easily play without them as well but since he can throw that BDH he does once sometimes. He bags mostly OS discs because he leans towards throwing hyzers more often than another slot selection and his power allows him this luxury. He's got the rest of the shots too though and he'll be an even better player when he settles into them instead of forcing the hyzer line on tight courses inside that 300-400 range. That being said he is definitely strutting his bag around the open windy courses he is currently playing.

Putting is as solid as Paul, Rick, Simon, and the rest of the elite putters. They all approach putting pretty differently but when they are putting well they are all making putts. Rick is still probably the "best" long range putter and when he's on it's a highlight reel. Only Josh Anthon makes the basket look that small from 50+. Paul is probably the "best" clutch putter because well Paul is just Mr. Clutch most of the time. When Paul isn't clutching it, Paul loses (or at least that is what it feels like for about 6-7 years now). I don't think any of that detracts from Eagles performance around the basket though. Those are literally the stand out performers in a very talented field. Eagle's putting wins him tournaments and usually doesn't lose him tournaments. It's right where you would expect a player in the top 10 to be.

The rest is all mental. Knowing when to take a par instead of a bogey or a bogey instead of a bug number. Knowing when a guaranteed birdie makes more sense than a chance at an eagle. When Eagle did this the best last year, he placed higher. All players would benefit by following this approach, it's not unique to Nate Sexton, it's literally golf course management fundamentals 102. 101 being to minimize mistakes by not attempting hero rescues and compounding upon them.

I hope he (Eagle) will be a solid contender this year at worlds and place in the top 5. I predict that he will get another 1-2 DGPT wins and a major.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:00 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1,184 Times in 601 Posts

The sweet thing about having UDisc now is that we don't need to argue over who's the best putter.

Also, saying a player could improve in an area is not even close to the same as saying he/she sucks.

Old 04-01-2019, 03:45 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 27
Niced 426 Times in 260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomerang View Post

Putting is as solid as Paul, Rick, Simon, and the rest of the elite putters.
Is Simon commonly considered an elite putter? I feel like Simon is an elite player despite his putting, not because of it. He makes some highlight putts, but he also misses more than his fair share of putts inside 22'. I have no data to back up my opinion, so you're welcome to correct me if I'm wrong. But it seems like putting and course management are the only things holding him back from being even better than he already is.