Old 05-15-2019, 03:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,423 Times in 1,502 Posts

Print the results off the PDGA page, and frame them.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 05-15-2019, 05:28 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.5
Courses Played: 365
Niced 1,691 Times in 831 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by westflagator View Post
Or chap stick,koozey,lanyards, and my favorite discraft stickers that get thrown away.
Stickers the worst. Too many end up on the baskets, trash cans, and benches. We might as well hand out free spray paint.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:14 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 70 Times in 36 Posts

So Im fairly new. Playing in a tournament sounds like a lot of fun even though I know for a fact that I would have no chance of winning.

I compare the tournament to a 5k race. Also that I know I have no chance of winning. Every run comes with a T-shirt. I always liked getting the shirt because "i earned it". But eventually a runner gets more shirts than they know what to do with. But with that, the shirt just becomes an expected part of the entry fee.

A 5k race will cost 20 to 30 dollars including the shirt. The shirt costs 5/10 dollars and the remaining 15/20 goes toward 'the race'. But discs are more expensive. At $15/20 per they get add up. Especially if its a disc you won't use.

There were some races that would give the option of taking a more expensive item. How would that work in DG tourney? During admission, could you choose which item you like. Instead of $50, charge 25 for entry, then an option for a $10 shirt, $20 disc or $25 player pack? I'm thowing ignorant numbers out because I am ignorant. Just trying to think outside the box although this all is probably stuff you have experienced.

I guess that is off what the OP is asking but ultimately like others have stated - what does it matter what they do with the portion going to 'the tourney'. Either you find it of value or you don't. I really hope that the TD pockets some of it because it encourages them to host more events. If he puts it toward the 'pros' and I still find the entry fee worth it, then there is no issue.

Even in the McDonalds comparison, they will charge at-or-near cost for the cheap menu items just to steal you away from BK, and in the hopes that you will sometimes buy the higher dollar items. Its their business model and its how they feel they need to make money. We could put our foot down and demand they charge equally across the board but that would only prove that we have no clue what we are talking about.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-16-2019, 09:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojorooks View Post
So Im fairly new. Playing in a tournament sounds like a lot of fun even though I know for a fact that I would have no chance of winning.

I compare the tournament to a 5k race. Also that I know I have no chance of winning. Every run comes with a T-shirt. I always liked getting the shirt because "i earned it". But eventually a runner gets more shirts than they know what to do with. But with that, the shirt just becomes an expected part of the entry fee.

A 5k race will cost 20 to 30 dollars including the shirt. The shirt costs 5/10 dollars and the remaining 15/20 goes toward 'the race'. But discs are more expensive. At $15/20 per they get add up. Especially if its a disc you won't use.

There were some races that would give the option of taking a more expensive item. How would that work in DG tourney? During admission, could you choose which item you like. Instead of $50, charge 25 for entry, then an option for a $10 shirt, $20 disc or $25 player pack? I'm thowing ignorant numbers out because I am ignorant. Just trying to think outside the box although this all is probably stuff you have experienced.

I guess that is off what the OP is asking but ultimately like others have stated - what does it matter what they do with the portion going to 'the tourney'. Either you find it of value or you don't. I really hope that the TD pockets some of it because it encourages them to host more events. If he puts it toward the 'pros' and I still find the entry fee worth it, then there is no issue.

Even in the McDonalds comparison, they will charge at-or-near cost for the cheap menu items just to steal you away from BK, and in the hopes that you will sometimes buy the higher dollar items. Its their business model and its how they feel they need to make money. We could put our foot down and demand they charge equally across the board but that would only prove that we have no clue what we are talking about.
In disc golf, none of the entry goes to "the race", so to speak. By rule, it must all go to either the players pack, or prizes for the top 50% of each division.

Except that the value of the players pack and/or prizes are at retail. If the TD gets the items at a lower price, the "profit" goes to the event.

Some events, for the players pack, give a specific item---like your race tee-shirt---and some give a voucher with which you can choose what item(s) you want as a player pack.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 44.5
Courses Played: 193
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 511 Times in 254 Posts

Send me your unwanted stickers! I promise I won't put them on a course or on anything that's not mine!

Old 05-16-2019, 09:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 44.5
Courses Played: 193
Niced 511 Times in 254 Posts

thrembos favorite things to receive in a players pack:

Shirt. And not a collard one and preferably one with the event on it.

Disc. Preferably one with the event on it or one that I throw.

Mini.

Sticker. Preferably Discraft.

Trophies are ok, but I very seldom get one because I'm not that good so I like to get a little something for throwing down my hard earned cash. I am not there to pay the pro's salaries.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:22 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 30 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
In disc golf, none of the entry goes to "the race", so to speak. By rule, it must all go to either the players pack, or prizes for the top 50% of each division.

Except that the value of the players pack and/or prizes are at retail. If the TD gets the items at a lower price, the "profit" goes to the event.

Some events, for the players pack, give a specific item---like your race tee-shirt---and some give a voucher with which you can choose what item(s) you want as a player pack.
Well...

Such rules are part of PDGA sanctioning. When an event is PDGA sanctioned the FIRST place money goes is to the PDGA. Some people may think of it as money going to "the race" and some people may think of it as a waste. Regardless the PDGA gets their money first or it's not a PDGA sanctioned event.

Unsanctioned events have far more latitude in how they structure their costs and payouts. Some adhere closely to the PDGA structure, some are vastly different. It's never a bad idea to find out how an unsanctioned event may differ from PDGA standards.

DavidSauls, I'm sure you are aware of these details, no intention to disparage your knowledge. My post is for the sake of expanding upon the information mojorooks self-identified as lacking.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:08 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 757 Times in 648 Posts

only way eliminating the Amateur merchandise would work is if you lowered the cost to get in to tournament by however much the Amateur merchandise would have cost the person running the tournament. At the least have the option to drop the Disc for a Mini marker, enough new tournament players have only one disc and no mini to play with in my area like thy play Rec division or Novice and they end up with people who have only one maybe two discs and they end up needing a mini. Also the new Tournament players need to have the rules down better mainly basics before entering a tournament so they are not doing things that would seem obvious to most to not do like stepping over the tee box in the initial drive or Re-Putting from the spot they missed a put without marking on the card a extra penalty stroke if playing with an all new to tournaments player card or in the case of an experienced card having new player or experienced player to waste time finding the rule in the PDGA Rulebook.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:10 PM
* Ace Member *

@ Improbably

You're right, of course.

I was being very general because I was answering a new player, and reluctant to dive into too many details.

It's still a big distinction between disc golf and almost every other sport---that the players, as a group, should get back as much as they pay in, one way or the other. Approximately as much, anyway.

Old 05-18-2019, 02:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 878 Times in 521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Local communities have finite resources both in terms of financial support and volunteer hours. Running a big event to draw the top pros puts large demands on each often at the expense of something else which could arguably more effectively grow the game in the local community. Each place hosting a DGPT event for instance could purchase not one but 2 sets of baskets through the DGPT sanctioning fee ($2k) and the added cash requirement ($10k) alone. In addition the local clubs running big events are often not left with a warm fuzzy feeling by having hosted said big events.
hmm... if you're logic is sound then why doesn't the TD just not have pro divisions for said big events?