Old 06-22-2019, 08:22 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default New Backpack User Question

Hi Everyone, I am looking for some advice when it comes to choosing a backpack.

I am coming back to the game after about a 5 year off time, and backpacks have apparently become very popular.

Currently I am throwing about 12 discs and use a Crunch Fade bag, and I really want a backpack that can carry 2 32oz Nalgene water bottles. I know I can go right to the upper range backpacks, but I was wondering if anyone knows of a good starter bag that can carry 2 of those bottles. With summer coming up, I would really like that feature.

I was looking at getting an MVP Voyager bag (not the pro or slim) but I keep reading about the feet being issues and there being mixed feelings on that bag.
https://mvpdiscsports.com/products/b...-backpack-bag/

Overall, I am not looking to just go cheap on the bag, but would rather not spend the near $200 for the really good ones, when this would be my first bag.

I also was looking at something simple like the Latitude 64 Easy-Go Bag
https://www.dynamicdiscs.com/Latitud...Bag-p/4995.htm

So if anyone has any suggestions I am all ears and thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2019, 08:43 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 23
Niced 101 Times in 49 Posts

I'm not sure if the original Gorilla Boy Simians are still in stock, but they're $149 while supplies last. If it's still in stock, you might consider that one. I love mine!

It is kind of funky to some, but it is nearly perfect in my view, especially if you carry less than 15 discs.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,208 Times in 533 Posts

If you're carrying 12, the Upper Park Shift would be perfect.
A second nalgene can fit in the main...just swap it in the bottle holder when the first is gone.
You won't find a lighter, more comfortable option.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-22-2019, 08:55 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 23
Niced 101 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder View Post
If you're carrying 12, the Upper Park Shift would be perfect.
A second nalgene can fit in the main...just swap it in the bottle holder when the first is gone.
You won't find a lighter, more comfortable option.
The Shift is an awesome bag! It did not have enough storage for my needs, but I loved mine in all other respects.

BTW, I'm past the edit window and unfortunately the old Simian is sold out now, so scratch my advice.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:42 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 94 Times in 41 Posts

I've been testing a Prodigy BP-3 for a bit now. The BP-3 only has 1 water bottle holder but I am impressed with how low of a price these bags have. If you have been out of the game for awhile then I would recommend testing a lower priced bag first and if it only lasts you a couple seasons then you can go big with a high end bag if needed.
I think a Prodigy BP-2 would be an excellent option. That thing looks great for only $65: https://shop.prodigydisc.com/collect...13690546683949
I have not carried the BP-2 but I have talked with a few people that own the different Prodigy bags and they sound and look really nice for the price.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:50 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

thank you for the responses everyone. ill check out the bags so far and see what I come up with.

I was just hoping someone would make a side pocket for 2 of the water bottles. During the summer it gets really humid so I would be drinking a lot of water on the course. Storing a bottle in the main is tough to visualize since I will carry more discs in time.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,208 Times in 533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDumbPunk85 View Post
thank you for the responses everyone. ill check out the bags so far and see what I come up with.

I was just hoping someone would make a side pocket for 2 of the water bottles. During the summer it gets really humid so I would be drinking a lot of water on the course. Storing a bottle in the main is tough to visualize since I will carry more discs in time.
The Shift carries everything very differently. It's vertical storage inside and out, and a storage cavern underneath.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 32
Niced 517 Times in 320 Posts

Like others are saying, the Upper Park Shift would be a good option. The weight distribution looks like it would really help keep everything tight & centered.

I really like my Grip C-Series bag. I usually keep 14 discs in it. The padding is great & is super durable like all Grip bags.

That Lat64 vertical bag looks really comfortable.

Old 06-23-2019, 02:34 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 762 Times in 653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDumbPunk85 View Post
Hi Everyone, I am looking for some advice when it comes to choosing a backpack.

I am coming back to the game after about a 5 year off time, and backpacks have apparently become very popular.

Currently I am throwing about 12 discs and use a Crunch Fade bag, and I really want a backpack that can carry 2 32oz Nalgene water bottles. I know I can go right to the upper range backpacks, but I was wondering if anyone knows of a good starter bag that can carry 2 of those bottles. With summer coming up, I would really like that feature.

I was looking at getting an MVP Voyager bag (not the pro or slim) but I keep reading about the feet being issues and there being mixed feelings on that bag.
https://mvpdiscsports.com/products/b...-backpack-bag/

Overall, I am not looking to just go cheap on the bag, but would rather not spend the near $200 for the really good ones, when this would be my first bag.

I also was looking at something simple like the Latitude 64 Easy-Go Bag
https://www.dynamicdiscs.com/Latitud...Bag-p/4995.htm

So if anyone has any suggestions I am all ears and thank you in advance!

The bag I would recommend not getting the low end brand name bags like the Innova Discover one or the Dynamic disc $38-$40 lowest end backpack or the Prodigy B-P3 V2 as those have a single bottle holder.

The Latitude 64 Easy Go you are thinking about has one big flaw almost no storage and the thing is tall. The Core Bag from Latitude 64 is nice and often you see John E McCray using that bag in some tournaments I have watched on YouTube. The Core Bag from Latitude 64 has 2 bottle holders that can open up more then shown and has a top that can store putter/top used discs as well as other stuff. I have not used it but If I were to use a smaller bag then what I have, the Latitude 64 Core bag is what I would look at.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:15 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 66
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 29 Times in 23 Posts

The Pinch by Upper Park should also suit your needs.