Old 08-23-2019, 03:06 PM
Par Member

Niced 23 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
Some great ones exist in this range, the Motion is nice and flat and will go very far for a not super fast disc. Fireball is good too, but may not go as far as a motion might.

Scythe, Wraith and Phase could also be worth a look depending on how you throw.
Thank you! I checked out those discs, but they all seem like SUPER meathooks. Low glide and super hard fading at the end. I was looking for something with more like 1-2 fade, and easier to get out straight or with a tiny turn left. Will those do that? Most of those do look like they are flat, thin and good in the hand for FH. Just worried how super overstable they are.

Can you get away with a disc like that for FH and still get a nice flat straight-ish throw with a soft fade at the end? Even with numbers like they have 12/4/0/3-4? I'm asking because I don't know what works well for a good FH driver. But I thought if I wanted a disc that flies pretty straight with a solid, but forward penetrating fade, it would have to be more like 12/5/-.5/2 or something like that? If you guys can fill me in on that, that would be awesome as I don't really know what makes a good FH disc, other than the shape and something with a wide rim and that is very stable in flight.

I found some site that said these are the best attributes for a FH disc:
very stiff stable plastic, large rim, usually higher speeds so it's more stable and reduces OAT, flat top, thinner overall profile, and a flatish wing shape (like an FD2). Anything else I should look for, or is that about it? Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2019, 03:09 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
In what world are an understable 9 speed and an overstable 11 speed at all similar??
The Insanity is a speed 9, but people routinely say it plays and throws like a speed 11. And I agree. I throw them just about the exact same distance when I get a good rip on them. And my Insanity is in Prism plastic, so it's very hard and stable, so it does not fly like the numbers might indicate. It has a soft turn right, then rides straight forever and gently glides down a little left. The Krait is a gummier Champ and it also goes a little right, then straight, with a soft fade at the end. So yeah, they are very similar in my world
Old 08-23-2019, 03:11 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
Thunderbird.
I've got a beautiful Champ Thunderbird I rarely use yet. I'll have to try it out today and see how it feels for FH. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2019, 03:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 2
Niced 425 Times in 311 Posts

Zeus, Trespass, Destroyer (with a flat wing), etc.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 940 Times in 514 Posts

I'd say you should stay with 9 speed discs for the time being. I personally love PDs in the 9-10 speed range but Thunderbirds, OLFs, the new Anax, etc all should work. I bag Wraiths and Xcals occasionally and routinely take them out of the bag, it helps me keep my form clean. Speaking of form, learn to FH S/US discs as well. High speed OS discs mask OAT, they don't offset it.

I'm slightly FH dominant and I do like flattish and firm plastic. 380' is actually great FH distance for most people, if you're really throwing that far.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-23-2019, 03:54 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,030 Times in 671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWookie View Post
Thank you! I checked out those discs, but they all seem like SUPER meathooks. Low glide and super hard fading at the end. I was looking for something with more like 1-2 fade, and easier to get out straight or with a tiny turn left. Will those do that? Most of those do look like they are flat, thin and good in the hand for FH. Just worried how super overstable they are.

Can you get away with a disc like that for FH and still get a nice flat straight-ish throw with a soft fade at the end? Even with numbers like they have 12/4/0/3-4? I'm asking because I don't know what works well for a good FH driver. But I thought if I wanted a disc that flies pretty straight with a solid, but forward penetrating fade, it would have to be more like 12/5/-.5/2 or something like that? If you guys can fill me in on that, that would be awesome as I don't really know what makes a good FH disc, other than the shape and something with a wide rim and that is very stable in flight.

I found some site that said these are the best attributes for a FH disc:
very stiff stable plastic, large rim, usually higher speeds so it's more stable and reduces OAT, flat top, thinner overall profile, and a flatish wing shape (like an FD2). Anything else I should look for, or is that about it? Thanks everyone!
Kind of depends on how hard you throw and your method, but if you can find a Motion in the high 160 range I bet you’d like it. It’s flat, firm and will go as far as your arm will take it.

I’m not a big fan of much turn in a FH disc, but I did some testing with the Zeus yesterday and was throwing them pretty far with a good bit of turn.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-23-2019, 04:21 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
If an Insanity is flying like a Wraith for you, you probably would benefit more from form work than a faster disc, but what do I know?
Sorry for the confusion. I didn't say I throw a Wraith. I was just saying, I have read that a Wraith is apparently similar flying to an Insanity. Some people say if you like the Insanity and lost it, you could replace it with a Wraith. I don't really know, I was just using it as reference since somebody suggested it. I only have an Insanity and Krait.

But as is the case with anyone, we can all definitely work harder and more to get better, myself included, haha. Thanks

Old 08-23-2019, 04:22 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by discerdoo View Post
I'd say you should stay with 9 speed discs for the time being. I personally love PDs in the 9-10 speed range but Thunderbirds, OLFs, the new Anax, etc all should work. I bag Wraiths and Xcals occasionally and routinely take them out of the bag, it helps me keep my form clean. Speaking of form, learn to FH S/US discs as well. High speed OS discs mask OAT, they don't offset it.

I'm slightly FH dominant and I do like flattish and firm plastic. 380' is actually great FH distance for most people, if you're really throwing that far.
Excellent! Thanks for the great suggestions AND form tips! I appreciate that!
Old 08-23-2019, 04:38 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,411 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWookie View Post
Sorry for the confusion. I didn't say I throw a Wraith. I was just saying, I have read that a Wraith is apparently similar flying to an Insanity. Some people say if you like the Insanity and lost it, you could replace it with a Wraith. I don't really know, I was just using it as reference since somebody suggested it. I only have an Insanity and Krait.

But as is the case with anyone, we can all definitely work harder and more to get better, myself included, haha. Thanks
I'm right there with you! I stopped caring about distance and started bagging slower molds suited to my arm speed. #oldmansolutions

Old 08-23-2019, 05:04 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 12 Times in 9 Posts

Thunderbird or PD are my suggestions. Don't let the numbers on a PD fool you, they are pretty straight flyers with consistent forward fade. The 13th run are pretty OS, almost firebirdy, but any other run should suffice.