Old 09-13-2019, 09:14 AM

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 104
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default 3-round tournaments vs 4-round tournaments

Just taking 'the pulse' of tournament players on what you prefer. For me, hands-down 4-round tournaments. If I'm driving hours to play and investing in motel rooms, gas, food etc, by golly I want the FULL experience. I ALWAYS fall apart one round and need the other 3 to carry me! Plus, what I lack in ability, I excel in stamina. So I need the 4th round to make that final push up the leader board. And tournaments aren't getting cheaper, so why are we playing less golf? Just curious as to what folks think.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 09-13-2019, 11:24 AM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 360
Niced 730 Times in 256 Posts

Often depends on the tournament and the course. If the event has traditionally been a four rounder, I'd just as soon it stay that way. That being said, when you're a travelling player, there's something to be said about being done by 3pm on Sunday.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:26 AM
Independent Operator*

Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 519
Niced 694 Times in 247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysauls View Post
Just taking 'the pulse' of tournament players on what you prefer. For me, hands-down 4-round tournaments. If I'm driving hours to play and investing in motel rooms, gas, food etc, by golly I want the FULL experience. I ALWAYS fall apart one round and need the other 3 to carry me! Plus, what I lack in ability, I excel in stamina. So I need the 4th round to make that final push up the leader board. And tournaments aren't getting cheaper, so why are we playing less golf? Just curious as to what folks think.
Well, I don't live in your area, but I prefer three rounds so I can hit the road early Sunday afternoon and get home at a reasonable hour. I avoid out of town events that end late on Sunday for this reason.

However, I would expect an A-Tier event to have four rounds, B-Tier to be 3 or 4 rounds and a C-Tier to be only two rounds (preferable only one day).

Niced: (1)
Old 09-13-2019, 11:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,026 Times in 845 Posts

Depends almost entirely on the course. On a big course I definitely prefer 3 rounds to 4.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,430 Times in 1,502 Posts

Generally speaking, anything less than 4 rounds feels a little incomplete to me.

But nowadays, with limited time, I'm a little more accepting of that trade-off than I used to be.

And there are other considerations: If that final round is 24 or 27 holes, it might suffice. Or if it's on a long and epic course.

One drawback to the single round on Sunday is that, if I played badly on Saturday and am way off the pace, it means possibly staying overnight, and going back the next day, for a pointless last round, since the event is already 2/3 over. In a 4-round event, the tournament's only half-over, and there's more chance for redemption.

One other thought: there used to be two tournaments in South Carolina that were 3 rounds---one on Saturday, two on Sunday.
The original Charleston Classics at Hampton Park (a terrific temp course) started Saturday afternoon, so you could drive in that morning, even from a distance, and practice the course if you wanted to. The S.C. Flying Disc Championships at Crooked Creek, at one time, started Saturday morning but then had Saturday afternoon for field events, back when that sort of thing was done, which were optional; you could participate in them, or do something else (i.e., attend a college football game). In both cases, Saturday was an appetizer, with the bulk of competition remaining for Sunday.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:03 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 141 Times in 76 Posts

I have limited tourney experience, but, I'm with you. If I'm committing a whole weekend anyway, and all the travel, hotels etc, I want to play lots of golf. Only one Sunday round feels like I'm being short changed. It's all over a bit too quick.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Old 09-13-2019, 02:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 135
Niced 994 Times in 528 Posts

I don't think I've ever even heard of a tournament more than 3 rounds besides Worlds and huge events like that. All the A tiers around here are 3 rounds.

I would enjoy 4, if it was close to me. But with, say, a 3 hr drive afterwards and work Monday morning, no thanks.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:47 PM
* Ace Member *

4 rounds have been common around here, since I started almost 25 years ago. Even for some C-tiers.

Keep in mind that we have a lot of shorter courses...and a lot of courses, so a 3-hour drive is a pretty distant location. You could play almost every weekend, without having to drive that far.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 135
Niced 994 Times in 528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
4 rounds have been common around here, since I started almost 25 years ago. Even for some C-tiers.

Keep in mind that we have a lot of shorter courses...and a lot of courses, so a 3-hour drive is a pretty distant location. You could play almost every weekend, without having to drive that far.
I've never seen anything more than 3 rounds in WI, besides Am Worlds. Maybe there are, and they are just events I don't play?

A 2-3 hour drive is pretty typical for any big event in WI.
Anything up north is 4+ hrs from the 2 biggest cities.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:17 PM
* Ace Member *

If not clear, I was speaking of "we" here in South Carolina. A regional difference, that might explain the prevalence of 4-round events here, as opposed to certain other regions.