Old 08-21-2019, 12:58 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 135
Niced 69 Times in 33 Posts
Default Standstill Shots as a Strategy for Accuracy

Backhand

Over the years one of the most common and most accurate shots in my bag is a standstill 180 DX Roc. Lately, I've expanded to throwing standstills with drivers too, particularly a very beat up Pro Katana. It will really flip up and go far but still hit tight gaps.

Obviously a run up adds a lot of potential variability to a pull. Eliminating it or shortening it and getting the needed distance from less stability can make a big difference. Possibly a useful tip for people that miss gaps, particularly those who tend to pull it right (RHBH).

Forehand

I'm RHBH dominant but I can throw serviceable flicks from a standstill. But only from a standstill. If I run up I have much more tendency to turn it over and burn it. I should mention I throw one finger flicks which I think minimizes the natural tendency to turn the wrist over. Possibly useful tips for those that can't throw forehand at all.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 08-21-2019, 02:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,593 Times in 1,648 Posts

For BH I like standstill as a way of powering down shots, for me it's roughly 10% loss in distance at the same effort feel. So I can throw shorter shots with better feel or a fuller swing. But I can occasionally get more left/right misses actually. I think because you are doing a backswing then redirecting yourself into the forward swing, so sometimes I can over rotate myself or something like that. Compared to an X-step, even a slow one, where I keep going in line toward my aim line and my body stays aligned to that more consistently. It's easier to maintain that direction overall, than introduce it from the backswing forward.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-21-2019, 03:33 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 308 Times in 185 Posts

There are ten holes on my home course that I always throw a standstill shot, eight BH and two FH. They range in distance from about 130 to 450 with most about 260. I've found the better accuracy with a standstill works for me since they are tunnel shots right off the tee; gaps to hit; or a tight anny shot.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:44 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 213
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 85 Times in 34 Posts

Standstill shots and discing down are two things that have greatly aided my game in the past several years. It's all about minimizing the moving parts for me. Getting good at standstills really improved my accuracy for fairway/non-tee shots (especially on hillsides, bad footing, etc). I no longer have to worry about a foot fault or uneven surfaces down the fairway. I also now minimize some of the wild shanks I used to get with a run-up gone awry. The least amount of things I'm thinking/worrying about during my throw, the better.

I'm 100% with ya on FH. I think FH shots don't require much of a run-up anyway so I've completely eliminated it. It's really helped me focus on angle control and follow through. However, my FH game is more of a utility where I'm usually happy to get 275ft on a flex or hyzer.

I'll do standstill BH for most shots under 300ft. For reference, my average BH max distance with a proper x-step is about 375ft (adjusted to 430ft for internet distance).

I think everyone, especially noobs, should really focus on learning how to throw longer standstill shots.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:07 PM

Courses Played: 28
Niced 13 Times in 5 Posts

I've been throwing nothing but standstills or 1-steps while trying to get form down. Can get a reliable 300-330' and can sometimes bomb it out 350-380.

I debate all the time if I need to start getting the run-up to break 400. Always so many skills to master in this game!

Old 08-22-2019, 09:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Niced 994 Times in 528 Posts

I try to preach the gospel of the standstill to the people I play with, but they never listen.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:20 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 72
Niced 108 Times in 53 Posts

I played for two years, failing miserably to gain distance. I took an entire year to just throw standstill and increased my distance. I feel that if you learn stand still from the get go it is easier to work back to a run up. Starting with a run up just adds more moving parts to learn bad habits on and if you learn how to throw decently far with a stand still when you do learn a proper run up it will be easier to master.
I use stand still quite often and I agree that it helps with hitting that small gap. I also throw drivers from a standstill when I need a bit more accuracy and don't mind sacrificing distance to do it. I wish I had started my disc golf career throwing only from a stand still.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Niced 994 Times in 528 Posts

I think every new player needs to have that moment when they realize their run up doesn't add any distance, and costs accuracy.

I get the value of the rhythm of a run up, but don't use it as a crutch; you can feel the rhythm with a standstill with a bit of practice.

Old 08-28-2019, 06:20 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
I think every new player needs to have that moment when they realize their run up doesn't add any distance, and costs accuracy.

I get the value of the rhythm of a run up, but don't use it as a crutch; you can feel the rhythm with a standstill with a bit of practice.
This is a quite good advice. It's pity what newbies don't know about it

Old 08-28-2019, 06:58 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3
Niced 217 Times in 144 Posts

Newbies start with run-ups and fast disc and have to learn the hard way that it would have been much better to start with stand-stills and slow discs. Well ... maybe that's just normal.

If you throw with run-ups you need to be able to throw from stand-stills as well, if the footing is too bad. Thus you actually need to learn two techniques, whereas, if you drive with stands-stills, you only need to get one (also simpler) motion under control. And all you miss out is a bit of distance ... in most cases only distance *potential* ... on long holes with open fairways.

X-step should not be the first thing, people teach new players. It should be seen as an advanced technique, that will add to your game, after you've got the basic stuff under control.