Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Osmo's Avatar
Osmo Osmo is offline
*I whine a lot*
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Grape Country
Courses Played: 9
Posts: 1,328
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Understanding the Molding Process

I am interested to find out more information on the whole molding process. From creation of the mold itself to the molding process. Any links out there or anyone with insight?

Do they have different molds for each plastic or do all plastics share 1 mold?
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-07-2012, 10:50 AM
BIgNik's Avatar
BIgNik BIgNik is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Murder Mitten
Years Playing: 11.9
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 704
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

HEres a lil sneek peak .. but i dont know much ..




Last edited by BIgNik; 03-07-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-07-2012, 10:57 AM
BIgNik's Avatar
BIgNik BIgNik is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Murder Mitten
Years Playing: 11.9
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 704
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

And another

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-07-2012, 11:01 AM
jtencer jtencer is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 58
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 926
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Vibram does compression molding. All the other manufacturers do injection molding. It's different. Look them up on wiki if you're curious. The process is the same if you're making discs, shoes, or spatulas.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Osmo's Avatar
Osmo Osmo is offline
*I whine a lot*
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Grape Country
Courses Played: 9
Posts: 1,328
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtencer View Post
Vibram does compression molding. All the other manufacturers do injection molding. It's different. Look them up on wiki if you're curious. The process is the same if you're making discs, shoes, or spatulas.
Do they use different molds for each plastic or do they share one mold??
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-07-2012, 11:48 AM
steveo69's Avatar
steveo69 steveo69 is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: IL
Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 901
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmo View Post
Do they use different molds for each plastic or do they share one mold??
My guess would be they use the same mold. I can't see why they would need to make different molds for the types of plastic.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-07-2012, 12:10 PM
ZAMson's Avatar
ZAMson ZAMson is offline
^Has PhD in Disc-Artistry
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Slaughter Ln, Austin TX
Posts: 3,045
Niced 125 Times in 63 Posts
Default

Same mold for all plastics. You can see a small scratch that's on almost every Buzzz, where the mold is scratched.

I made a diagram for this mold part discussion on DGR.

This represents the Innova mold pieces in black, with the white area open for plastic injection. You can see how tiny spaces where the spacer and top/wing meet can cause flashing. Other companies use different setups, for instance many Discraft driver wings match on the lower wing, not the bottom edge.



The spacer is used to make the nose more blunt, and top match the top to the wing. They mix and match these parts so they need these nose spacers to make everything work, and in some cases affect the stability -- for instance the difference between a Sidewinder and Orion LS is just a matter of a nose spacer on the OLS that gives it a fatter, more stable nose.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-07-2012, 12:19 PM
apdrvya's Avatar
apdrvya apdrvya is offline
Marketplace Guru
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Spring Lake, MI
Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 317
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 6,705
Niced 46 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAMson View Post
Same mold for all plastics. You can see a small scratch that's on almost every Buzzz, where the mold is scratched.

I made a diagram for this mold part discussion on DGR.

This represents the Innova mold pieces in black, with the white area open for plastic injection. You can see how tiny spaces where the spacer and top/wing meet can cause flashing. Other companies use different setups, for instance many Discraft driver wings match on the lower wing, not the bottom edge.



The spacer is used to make the nose more blunt, and top match the top to the wing. They mix and match these parts so they need these nose spacers to make everything work, and in some cases affect the stability -- for instance the difference between a Sidewinder and Orion LS is just a matter of a nose spacer on the OLS that gives it a fatter, more stable nose.
excellent use of visual aides!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-07-2012, 12:21 PM
Discwrangler's Avatar
Discwrangler Discwrangler is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Courses Played: 1
Posts: 422
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm sort of in the industry...I'd guess shrinkage rates of different plastics would necessitate different molds. Not positive though.
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 03-07-2012, 12:24 PM
ZAMson's Avatar
ZAMson ZAMson is offline
^Has PhD in Disc-Artistry
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Slaughter Ln, Austin TX
Posts: 3,045
Niced 125 Times in 63 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discwrangler View Post
I'm sort of in the industry...I'd guess shrinkage rates of different plastics would necessitate different molds. Not positive though.
in a real industry, that's probably the case

Quote:
Originally Posted by apdrvya View Post
excellent use of visual aides!
i'm here for good not evil
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A brief primer on how the injection molding process affects flight characteristics sidewinder22 General Disc Golf Chat 46 05-23-2018 11:08 PM
Normal or Molding Error? Margaret N. Discs 12 10-25-2017 07:35 PM
Injection Molding BirdmanCR General Disc Golf Chat 23 12-30-2015 10:23 AM
Disc Molding & Manufacturing Process bcr123psu Discs 11 08-23-2011 10:44 PM
Differences In Molding Technique TalbotTrojan Discs 13 05-04-2009 11:39 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.