Old 03-07-2017, 02:50 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 20
Niced 92 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
lol @ "whining" - and if you saw that we were having a fruitful and honest discussion on there, why not chime in? I gained a good deal of insight from my discussions with all types of people.
Not sure why, but I can't comment on your posts. Must have to be your friend.

How can you suggest not covering the women "From a business perspective" in one Facebook post, and then two days later post about the importance of diversity in media? Diversity doesn't just mean white vs. person of color. Please reread your own post replacing "white" with "male".

Here is part:
Quote:
The worst part is, we start indoctrinating this into kids before they're old enough to grasp or comprehend it. They don't realize that they're being taught and influenced by this, they can't comprehend that it's "casting decisions" or "just business" behind why a [male] kid gets a role over a [female] one.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2017, 06:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 105 Times in 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
In my experience players stop listening to that sort of thing almost immediately- printed materials are where it's at.

*Disclaimer- some players are going to get something wrong no matter what the tournament staff does.
This! So much this! Nothing I hate more than listening through all that "Okay so on Hole 1 everyone know that little scrawny tree at the corner, thats your mando. Now also all the concrete is OB, except the one next to the little pond blah blah blah" for 18 holes when you could have just drawn a map. (or better yet, you did make a map, but STILL insist on the rattle-through) Youre going to remember all the tidbits on 16 2 hours later? Right. Map or clearly written hole specific rules behind the scorecard, boom, theres your 0.02$ "caddy book".
Old 03-07-2017, 08:15 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 17 Times in 9 Posts

At GBO last year they said that the caddy book is your player meeting for the tourney. They also had mini player meetings for each card before they tee off, just to cover changes and any course specific stuff. I don't know how the Memorial is run, but that seemed to work to me, but I'm not a pro either.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22
Courses Played: 2
Niced 524 Times in 338 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedavenger View Post
This! So much this! Nothing I hate more than listening through all that "Okay so on Hole 1 everyone know that little scrawny tree at the corner, thats your mando. Now also all the concrete is OB, except the one next to the little pond blah blah blah" for 18 holes when you could have just drawn a map. (or better yet, you did make a map, but STILL insist on the rattle-through) Youre going to remember all the tidbits on 16 2 hours later? Right. Map or clearly written hole specific rules behind the scorecard, boom, theres your 0.02$ "caddy book".
Yes, but then it's on the player. Simple enough. He she gets stroked for any mistake they make. I'm good with that.

I personally find that the combo works best. You might not remember the specifics of what the TD said, but you remember enough to look carefully.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:27 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 152
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 11 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
One thing I will point out. I played a tournament a month ago where the TD Eric Jubin modified the course from years past. He walked us through those changes and why they were made. Then he warned us. TDs need to imitate this style. You can argue it's pedantic, treating players like kids, whatever, but I knew the course.
SUGARLAND SHOWDOWN! LOVE THAT TOURNEY!

Although I haven't played it a couple years
Old 03-07-2017, 12:53 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 132
Niced 17 Times in 9 Posts

Just want to say that showing the FPO shots after the MPO tee shots during live coverage worked well.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 234
Niced 27 Times in 21 Posts

Everyone got their popcorn ready
Old 03-07-2017, 06:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 40
Niced 566 Times in 267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana View Post
Everyone got their popcorn ready
Old 03-07-2017, 08:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 286 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frasnow View Post
Not sure why, but I can't comment on your posts. Must have to be your friend.

How can you suggest not covering the women "From a business perspective" in one Facebook post, and then two days later post about the importance of diversity in media? Diversity doesn't just mean white vs. person of color. Please reread your own post replacing "white" with "male".

Here is part:
Wow. OK then.

First of all this is an apples-to-oranges comparison. Your attempt to quote me out of context is laughable, and shows either your willful ignorance, or that the point goes straight over your head.

My post about diversity in media is discussing how positive and negative stereotypes can be reinforced subconsciously in children, and how those perceptions (which aren't based in reality) stay with those individuals as they grow up, thus affecting their worldview. These stereotypes are systemic, pervading the entire scope of cinema in Hollywood across both genre and time.

Second, my post regarding FPO coverage was about starting a social media-based roundtable discussion about the Catch-22 that I feel we're in. The discussion centers around getting opinions on how to go forward, seeing that the viewership results do not match the hype and rhetoric (that most people would rather watch FPO because that's "their skill level" and the MPO guys are "too good") that has been drummed up on social media. I'm not saying nobody thinks that, but that platform has been greatly exaggerated...not my opinion, but rather analysis based on empirical evidence. Additionally, when adding a new product that the vocal minority has been clamoring for actually cannibalizes the bread and butter product for Tournament Coverage, this now creates a business paradox. Walking the line between altruistic intentions and business sense is very thin and difficult, and I wanted to open up the discussion because I have a very diverse group of friends on Facebook.

I was being open and candid about my hopes vs. reality, and public expectations vs. reality. At no point was I ever whining. That wouldn't even make sense, considering that the opinions would have to come from the very people I would supposedly be whining about (the viewers).

Let's call your post what it is, a pathetic passive-aggressive trolling attempt. If you train yourself to read past 140 characters, you might look again and see the 100+ comment thread offering some very nuanced opinions, which as I stated before were very helpful in sussing out others' honest reactions to GCC coverage.

Niced: (1)

Old 03-07-2017, 08:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 145 Times in 97 Posts

I thoroughly enjoyed all the coverage. Great stuff.