Old 08-02-2021, 01:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 637
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,971 Times in 1,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by @CD- View Post
Could be a Viking (Valk-X mold) or Thunderbird based on the bevel description? Maybe they changed the mold out and ran the last of the pro plastic through to warm it up. Was this a Factory second x-out?

The embossed Innova text on the underside comes from the core piece which may be re-used for different molds/combinations for same speed discs. The mold name is added via a stamping press so maybe they didn't switch out that on accident.
I was thinking a Viking too at first. Never heard of it as a Valk-X, but that's what they are basically. Innova is wildly inconsistant in QC, and it's seems magnified in pro plastic. They're all over the place. The Valkyrie is one of the molds that they won't F with though. At least I hope. Innova will Innova though.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2021, 09:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 46
Niced 5,824 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhaley View Post
I was thinking a Viking too at first. Never heard of it as a Valk-X, but that's what they are basically. Innova is wildly inconsistant in QC, and it's seems magnified in pro plastic. They're all over the place. The Valkyrie is one of the molds that they won't F with though. At least I hope. Innova will Innova though.
I get the occasional turd plus mold. Usually more with Champ Valks than anything else. So far, G* has not had this problem.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-02-2021, 02:08 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 76 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhaley View Post
I'm not really certain what difference the Viking mold has (maybe a blunter rim?) but they haven't made it in pro plastic to my knowledge so hard to know. Maybe running the Hyzerbomb Marksman (supposedly the Viking mold) in a new plastic?

Doubtful Innova changed the Valkyrie mold but there may be multiple different Valkyrie molds since its been around a while and is made in all the plastic blends.

Old 08-02-2021, 02:22 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 43
Niced 1,722 Times in 858 Posts

Resident Valk whore here.

VK (eventually became VG) is the Vikings marking...there was a test run of Vikings marked as Valks a good 2-3 years before the Viking mold was approved. The rim is different on the Viking but it shares the same top as the Valkyrie.

I've owned well over 50 I'd say, from SE to CE to Pro, Glow, Champ, and everything inbetween. Even owned a couple of those Valkyrie Monarch hybrids believe it or not. All newer ones I've thrown (currently rotate a pair of twin Stars in my bag) have started more overstable than years past. New Champs are the most overstable, doesn't mean there can't be a freak in say Pro.

What IS written on the bottom? You said it's different but didn't state what's there. Without pictures it's gonna be near impossible to decide whether it's misstamped or just an oddball.

Old 08-02-2021, 02:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 789 Times in 433 Posts

Could it be a mis-marked disc.....not really a Valkyrie? Someone grabbed discs to be stamped and some strays got mixed in?
Old 08-02-2021, 05:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 36.3
Courses Played: 274
Niced 570 Times in 287 Posts

From my hazy memory regarding the Valk...
not to be confused with the CE version of Valks...

The Proto/First Runs in DX had the Innova Bar Stamp, mostly yellow discs I think, might have been some white as well.

Those DX Valks were actually more over-stable then what was intended for that plastic.

Then there were some DX Valks with the traditional stamp that actually said "FIRST RUN"

Absolutely no idea of what changes were actually made to the molds, I liked the "FIRST RUN" DX Valks for hyzer-flips and a buddy of mine swore by the Proto/First Runs...

I know even less now as I have not thrown any Valks in like 5 years...
Old 08-02-2021, 09:42 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 90
Niced 32 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by @CD- View Post
Could be a Viking (Valk-X mold) or Thunderbird based on the bevel description? Maybe they changed the mold out and ran the last of the pro plastic through to warm it up. Was this a Factory second x-out?

The embossed Innova text on the underside comes from the core piece which may be re-used for different molds/combinations for same speed discs. The mold name is added via a stamping press so maybe they didn't switch out that on accident.
not a factory second
Old 08-02-2021, 09:47 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
your lack of knowledge with penned/embossed concerns me that you do not know exactly what you are talking about

agreed i want to see pics and explanations
hehe if I knew what I was talking about I wouldn't be here asking questions. been using the same molds for years and just now got my first two without pen. I have stacks of discs in reserve for my main molds and I only lose a handful every season, so really it isn't surprising to me that I am behind the times in this regard

Old 08-02-2021, 09:53 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
Resident Valk whore here.

VK (eventually became VG) is the Vikings marking...there was a test run of Vikings marked as Valks a good 2-3 years before the Viking mold was approved. The rim is different on the Viking but it shares the same top as the Valkyrie.

I've owned well over 50 I'd say, from SE to CE to Pro, Glow, Champ, and everything inbetween. Even owned a couple of those Valkyrie Monarch hybrids believe it or not. All newer ones I've thrown (currently rotate a pair of twin Stars in my bag) have started more overstable than years past. New Champs are the most overstable, doesn't mean there can't be a freak in say Pro.

What IS written on the bottom? You said it's different but didn't state what's there. Without pictures it's gonna be near impossible to decide whether it's misstamped or just an oddball.
I mentioned in the OP that it has the word "VALKYRIE" molded near the center. They also have "MADE IN U.S.A." and "INNOVA CHAMPION DISCS, INC. WWW.INNOVADISCS.COM" molded around the rim. No Rancho address like on my older Valks. Also Penned in the center on the new ones "PRO" where the old ones are penned "P.VL"

Old 08-02-2021, 10:09 PM
Par Member

sorry to disappoint, but I just don't have the appropriate technology on hand for taking pictures

thanks for the thoughts and feedback. I guess I'll buy some more (when they become available) and gather more data. Hopefully they will fly more like I have become accustomed to