Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Tournaments & Leagues > TD's Corner

View Poll Results: Which online tournament registration service do you use the most for your events?
Disc Golf United 9 17.31%
Disc Golf Scene 34 65.38%
A different online service or method - Please reply and give details 7 13.46%
Mail-in and in person sign ups only 2 3.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-01-2017, 08:21 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 95
Niced 33 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyKShort View Post
...PayPal has made some changes that I don't like. Money gets stuck in PayPal limbo now, takes three weeks to get your money. I don't like that. I think if we do enough events that PayPal could let us get around that, bit that's been the only downside.
Any idea why the limbo? I have registrations coming in for a tournament right now and the money is immediately in my PayPal account, same as it always has been.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2017, 08:22 AM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 25.1
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 467 Times in 237 Posts

From a TD and from a player perspective, DGS is a far better product IMHO.

TD side -
The auto update of the Registration list - especially when registration first opens, events fill quickly or when an event is close to filling - is a fantastic feature

Exporting the list of registered players to excel and then copying and pasting their information over into the TD Report saves about an hour of work.

Receiving funds immediately as opposed to a paper check has two major advantages, outside of the obvious don't have to go to the bank part. For one, it allows me to pay off credit card bills for things like player packs and other tournament essentials. This also allows refunds of players' fees at any point. In my experience, most refunds occur closer to the event due to things like jobs, illness, family emergencies, weather, etc.

A direct link to registration appears on the PDGA Tour site.

As a player, I like DGS better as well. DGU has issues in certain browsers - Chrome I think is the main one - and many people have not been able to register for events in DGU.

Since DGS and DGU have identical costs, I don't know why people choose DGU.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:24 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 75
Niced 24 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretdance03 View Post
Any idea why the limbo? I have registrations coming in for a tournament right now and the money is immediately in my PayPal account, same as it always has been.

Its got something to do with us being a newer account. It doesn't happen with my personal account, but it's there with the club account.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:31 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 114
Niced 158 Times in 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
1. Exporting the list of registered players to excel and then copying and pasting their information over into the TD Report saves about an hour of work.

2. Receiving funds immediately as opposed to a paper check has two major advantages, outside of the obvious don't have to go to the bank part. For one, it allows me to pay off credit card bills for things like player packs and other tournament essentials. This also allows refunds of players' fees at any point. In my experience, most refunds occur closer to the event due to things like jobs, illness, family emergencies, weather, etc.

3. A direct link to registration appears on the PDGA Tour site.

4. As a player, I like DGS better as well. DGU has issues in certain browsers - Chrome I think is the main one - and many people have not been able to register for events in DGU.
1. DGU does the same thing. Zero effort by the TD.
2. DGU allows for direct deposit, so that's one way to avoid a trip to the bank. DGU's refunds are quick and easy, at least until the event has closed or the check has been mailed/deposited. It's pretty great a month out from the tournament, but it doesn't do you any good when people drop out the day before.
3. It's pretty cool that DGS does that automatically, but the PDGA will put a direct link to a DGU registration page if you email the link to them.
4. Yea, that's been frustrating. It's a real pain when people get locked out of a tournament that fills up in a matter of minutes. "I swear I was trying to register at 8:02 and DGU kept kicking me out, and now I'm 20th on the waitlist." And now the TD has to determine whether to give that person special treatment and bump them to 1st on the waitlist or whatever. But I also just got an email from DGU promising that they just found that bug and have squashed it. We'll see...
Old 03-02-2017, 10:00 AM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 25.1
Courses Played: 128
Niced 467 Times in 237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddL View Post
1. DGU does the same thing. Zero effort by the TD.
2. DGU allows for direct deposit, so that's one way to avoid a trip to the bank. DGU's refunds are quick and easy, at least until the event has closed or the check has been mailed/deposited. It's pretty great a month out from the tournament, but it doesn't do you any good when people drop out the day before.
3. It's pretty cool that DGS does that automatically, but the PDGA will put a direct link to a DGU registration page if you email the link to them.
4. Yea, that's been frustrating. It's a real pain when people get locked out of a tournament that fills up in a matter of minutes. "I swear I was trying to register at 8:02 and DGU kept kicking me out, and now I'm 20th on the waitlist." And now the TD has to determine whether to give that person special treatment and bump them to 1st on the waitlist or whatever. But I also just got an email from DGU promising that they just found that bug and have squashed it. We'll see...
Good insight.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 142
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,329 Times in 576 Posts

Quote:
Worth noting that TDs can now edit their own tournament listing on the PDGA site by logging into the site with their regular credentials. This enables you to add any tournament registration link you wish, update any flyer/website links, even change the name of your event (e.g. if you acquire a title sponsor late in the game). It also allows you to edit the password for the online tournament manager in case you want to make it something easier to remember/pass on for the purpose of live scoring.

So while the DGS registration link might be included automatically, you can make the link anything you want without having to involve anyone at the PDGA office (though they are eager to help and usually do it quickly).

Niced: (1)
Old 03-02-2017, 10:37 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 95
Niced 33 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
2. DGU allows for direct deposit, so that's one way to avoid a trip to the bank...
Do you know if this is a new option? I pretty much signed off on using DGU when I had to wait for a check in the mail for my registrations that I wasn't going to receive until after the event. As a small club we just don't have the funds to float payout checks over $1000 while we're waiting on the registration check. Discgolfscene linking directly to paypal made it a no-brainer for me.

Is DGU able to deposit to a paypal account do you know, or just checking?

Old 03-02-2017, 11:12 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 114
Niced 158 Times in 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Worth noting that TDs can now edit their own tournament listing on the PDGA site by logging into the site with their regular credentials. This enables you to add any tournament registration link you wish, update any flyer/website links, even change the name of your event (e.g. if you acquire a title sponsor late in the game). It also allows you to edit the password for the online tournament manager in case you want to make it something easier to remember/pass on for the purpose of live scoring.

So while the DGS registration link might be included automatically, you can make the link anything you want without having to involve anyone at the PDGA office (though they are eager to help and usually do it quickly).
O.M.G.
You just blew my damn mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretdance03 View Post
Do you know if this is a new option? I pretty much signed off on using DGU when I had to wait for a check in the mail for my registrations that I wasn't going to receive until after the event. As a small club we just don't have the funds to float payout checks over $1000 while we're waiting on the registration check. Discgolfscene linking directly to paypal made it a no-brainer for me.

Is DGU able to deposit to a paypal account do you know, or just checking?
I think it's been around for a while. A year or two? Or more? I don't know if you can do a PP account or not. It's an ACH Transfer, and they need the routing and account number.

Niced: (1)