Old 03-08-2017, 10:30 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 7
Niced 93 Times in 60 Posts

I agree with trilogy challenge. The players pack alone is worth the entry fee and I believe they provide prizes for top 3 also. I played in one last year ran by a first time TD, and he loved it. It was super casual and had fun rules like only being able to throw 1 of the 3 discs on a certain hole. Seemed like the right combination of flexibility and assistance/sponsorship.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2017, 08:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 76
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 24 Times in 14 Posts

I like a lot of the different manufacturer events (Ace race, birdie bash, battle of the aces, etc). Trilogy challenge often just turns into a regular round with new discs, and that kinda favors experienced players. I've never been to one that had different rules. The Ace race style events open it up to a lot of other players. I suppose you could run a Trilogy Challenge, they just never get creative with them down here.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:30 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 7
Niced 93 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyKShort View Post
Trilogy challenge often just turns into a regular round with new discs, and that kinda favors experienced players. I've never been to one that had different rules. The Ace race style events open it up to a lot of other players.
That's a good point. These were the first two tournaments I played in. I didn't place very high in Trilogy and it wasn't really a surprise who the winners were. I almost placed third in the ace race, and there was more variety in how my local club members finished.

The only thing I didn't like about ace race was only getting the one shot at each basket. After every hole I felt like I either wanted another run at the basket, or to sink the putt from where my first throw landed
Old 06-09-2017, 09:19 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 146
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't know if you've had your event yet, but I had a similar situation in our small town. We have a festival every 4th of July weekend and I was asked to run a tournament. I considered the Trilogy challenge but ended up doing something a little different.

Our course is 9 holes with alt tees. I wanted to cater to newer players and people from the community that may or may not have any experience playing. So I try to keep the cost low....

3 divisions (keep it simple):
Recreational is only $5. They play 9 holes from the short tees and do not abide by Out of Bounds rules.
Amateur is $10. They play 18 holes-9 from the short pads and 9 from the long pads. Play all OB.
Open is $15. Same rules as Amateur but they play for the cash.

I do a flex start and offer players the chance to play an additional round for only $5 to try to improve their score.

It really works well. The only issue is when groups finish their first 9 and go on to begin their round from the alternate pads, we sometimes get new groups getting ready to start. I haven't quite figured out how to make that work better, but it usually ends up working out.

This year I am ordering 50 custom discs to give away to the first 50 entrants and trophy discs for the top three finishers in each division. I think this will be our 4th year and I'm sure it will be the best yet.

We also try to have CTPs on every or most holes and will do a 50/50 toss and putting contest. But with the flex start, it is not guaranteed that the winners will be there at the end of the day so I have to track them down to give them their winnings or mail them out.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 122
Niced 414 Times in 265 Posts

One idea is to shorten the holes.

There was a 9 hole course I used to play that had an event like this. There would put flags on every hole to mark a shorter than usual tee.

It wasn't scored like a usual tournament. The idea was to try to hit metal or get an ace. I think metal was 1 point, chains 2, aces 5. Something like that.

Anyways its an idea that appeals to more casual people, while still letting experienced players have fun. It's a lot of excitement without any pressure of making putts and maintaining consistency hole to hole. Just throw at the basket and try to hit something.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:13 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 6
Niced 10 Times in 9 Posts

I ran a sanctioned event on a 9 hole course. the PDGA only requires 13 holes for a rated round, so I added 4 temp holes and played 3 rounds: http://www.pdga.com/tour/event/31691

The event and layout worked very well. If you don't want/need sanctioning, a flex start simple format would be your best bet. If there is a high variable on the number of players, I would avoid the ace-race style events that require bigger buy-ins - stick to a $5-$20 buy in and keep prizes simple.