Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Tournaments & Leagues > TD's Corner

View Poll Results: If you have one course for two days, how would you set up a tournament?
One tournament, one round per day, tee times, all divisions, 144 player cap 1 7.14%
2 tournaments, 2 rounds per day, shotgun starts, different divisions each day, 72 player cap per day 13 92.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2017, 06:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 142
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,777 Times in 759 Posts
Default Format Question

You have use of one course (18 holes) for a full weekend (two days). Which way would you set it up?

One tournament, two days, one round per day with tee times, offering all typical divisions, cap of 144 total players

Or

Two tournaments, one day each, two rounds per day with shotgun starts, offering all typical divisions but split between days, cap of 72 players each (144 total)

If you were to be the TD, explain your rationale. If you are a player, explain why you prefer one to the other.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2017, 07:26 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 107 Times in 69 Posts

Option 2 just because my chances of being available one of the 2 days is quite high, but the chances that I'm available for both days are quite slim. So at least I'd be able to play in one of the 2 tournaments, but possibly both.

If I knew that id be available both days, I'd rather have option 1. But I voted option 2 for the above reasons

Niced: (1)
Old 07-20-2017, 07:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 39 Times in 29 Posts

If everyone is playing the same pad/pin positions, I actually prefer to do two rounds with mixed divisions the first round then group divisions with each organized by first round performance.

While it might be frustrating for the top end pros to play with intermediates. And probably wouldn't work well mixing pros with n00bs. It's great for the lower skilled players to get a chance to play with the really good players. I know as an intermediate I always learn when I play with advance/pro players.

If different divisions are playing different courses - two days with different divisions. Folks playing the shorter course may get real frustrated by the pros playing longer holes. Happened on a one day tournament I played when the pros had 3 & 4 groups stacked up behind them. I didn't even return for the afternoon round.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 42
Niced 59 Times in 42 Posts

I voted two tournaments. It's been awhile since I TDed, but it doesn't seem like a lot of extra work the second way. Even dividing the players who "cash" for merch over two days seems easier. And if one day was all or mostly pro divisions you wouldn't even really need to worry about that.

As a player it's a no-brainer, option two leaves one day of my weekend free. Especially if an out of town player.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 278
Niced 1,461 Times in 761 Posts

I'd prefer a single day with two rounds over two days of one round each... plus easier on players with a long drive or coming from out of town.

That said, if the course is physically grueling or particarly tough, I'd enjoy the event more splitting the rounds into back to back days.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.3
Courses Played: 94
Niced 774 Times in 380 Posts

Ams one day pros the next is pretty much the norm around here. Easier on players (less days on road), allows double dipping, allows staff to pretty much all play one day or the other.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-20-2017, 08:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 51
Niced 177 Times in 118 Posts

Up here in Ohio for the summer, I've seen a lot of Indiana tournaments do it as two one day tournaments, with one offering advanced and rec and the other MPO and intermediate, which I think is a pretty good split. I like one day tournaments better personally because they're easier to plan for and attend, and I tend to have more fun at the one day tournaments myself. It also gives me the option of playing in Rec one day and Intermediate the next, so I can play around my rating at the top of a field and then challenge myself against mostly people better than me.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.3
Courses Played: 124
Niced 1,840 Times in 893 Posts

Well, depends on the course. As a player, the second option, because I can play 2 days and play twice as much as the first option. Or I can have the flexibility of choosing either day. Unless it's really an epic course, I'm not a fan of one round in a day, with tee times.

As a TD, my answer's the same, because my guess is more players will prefer the second option, and I'm doing what the players want.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 142
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,777 Times in 759 Posts

For the sake of discussion, let's assume that the course is challenging but not something that is especially grueling to play twice in one day...say in the 6000-6500 foot range in its longest configuration, max of 3 hours for a round.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 278
Niced 1,461 Times in 761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
For the sake of discussion, let's assume that the course is challenging but not something that is especially grueling to play twice in one day...say in the 6000-6500 foot range in its longest configuration, max of 3 hours for a round.
One day, two rounds.