Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Tournaments & Leagues > TD's Corner

View Poll Results: Should a solo player at a BYOP doubles tournament be allowed to play "cali"?
Yes 2 13.33%
No, straight singles only 13 86.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-01-2018, 09:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 142
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,769 Times in 752 Posts
Default Single players at BYOP doubles tournaments

If you are running a doubles tournament that is bring your own partner, and a player shows up wanting to play solo (couldn't find a partner), how do you handle it? Specifically, do you allow the player to play "cali" (one extra throw per hole) or does the player play straight singles?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2018, 09:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,001 Times in 1,146 Posts

That's a tough question. I think if he just shows up without a partner then singles. If say this is a big event that requires pre-reg and his partner had to back out for something at the last minute, then I think cali could be used. Like a lot of things in our game, it would require some honesty on the part of that player but I don't think letting one open player have an extra throw would affect the standings all that much. Unless, maybe if the top open player in a particular area is just that much better than everyone else and just happens to also be the kind of dbag that would take advantage of that kind of thing. Another thing that might complicate this is, we have a series of BYOPs during the winter here and for the most part the top open guys usually try to keep the teams even. They will often pick a masters player, an advanced player, or a lower end open guy.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by brutalbrutus; 01-01-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 124
Niced 1,826 Times in 886 Posts

One thought is that Cali (or similar) is a concession for those who show up for random doubles, and through no fault of their own end up solo. Might be viewed a little differently than the person who just wants to play solo.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.3
Courses Played: 94
Niced 773 Times in 380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
One thought is that Cali (or similar) is a concession for those who show up for random doubles, and through no fault of their own end up solo. Might be viewed a little differently than the person who just wants to play solo.
my thoughts exactly- why would you make any concession to someone who shows up at an event defined as "bring your own partner" with no partner?

if there was an option for "tell them to go home" i might choose that.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Exactly my thought, David. Cali or similar rules should be exclusively a random draw thing since who the solo player is when there are odd numbers is unknown until teams are drawn.

I only brought this up because there is a local New Years Doubles tournament today for which I saw someone post this morning that they were flying solo and were expecting to play "cali". Just struck me as an odd expectation (especially since he went right to that rather than saying "anyone want to play with me") and I have no idea if he was allowed to do it. I know what I'd say as a TD, but I was curious to know if I'm in the majority or the minority. So far, it's the majority.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:56 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 195 Times in 133 Posts

In our random dubs league, more than a few players HOPE for the Cali and would gladly pay for that 'privilege'. The Cali has won quite a few times and good players almost always at least get paid. Didn't help me at all.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 124
Niced 1,826 Times in 886 Posts

I'm not saying you shouldn't allow the solo player to play Cali---just that it's a consideration. If top players consider it advantageous, might you have a half-dozen "solo" players? But perhaps the general atmosphere of the event should dictate how to handle it.

At our BYOP doubles event, I've often been a "floater"---a last minute fill-in for any no-shows, or sitting out. For other solos, we play matchmaker.

This year we were full with 1 player running late....and were prepared to boot his teammate, in favor of a hopeful team on the waitlist, if it came to that. (Luckily for us, it didn't).

Old 01-01-2018, 04:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBokor View Post
In our random dubs league, more than a few players HOPE for the Cali and would gladly pay for that 'privilege'. The Cali has won quite a few times and good players almost always at least get paid. Didn't help me at all.
Cali is a way to assure yourself of having a "partner" you can trust. I've volunteered to play cali a few times, generally in cases where the person that drew cali wasn't happy about it (and once when the cali player was a 12 year old and I got paired with his dad...that was for dad's sake rather than the kid's).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I'm not saying you shouldn't allow the solo player to play Cali---just that it's a consideration. If top players consider it advantageous, might you have a half-dozen "solo" players? But perhaps the general atmosphere of the event should dictate how to handle it.

At our BYOP doubles event, I've often been a "floater"---a last minute fill-in for any no-shows, or sitting out. For other solos, we play matchmaker.

This year we were full with 1 player running late....and were prepared to boot his teammate, in favor of a hopeful team on the waitlist, if it came to that. (Luckily for us, it didn't).
I certainly wouldn't allow a player showing up intending to play cali to do it, but I might consider an exception in a case where a player's partner no-shows or has an emergency or something and can't play. But I'd survey the rest of the division to get their input before deciding.

I think in a case where multiple players showed up solo, I'd tell them all to pair off however they felt was fair and play as teams. IMO, there's no way I'd allow more than one solo player to enter a doubles tournament. The sole exception to that was the one time I had two individual pro players show up (me being one) and no other pro teams at all. On that day, we decided to each play straight singles in the advanced division rather than team up and play against no one. That worked out okay and everyone was cool with it, but no way would we have done it if the tournament was close to full or having a wait list. IMO, teams get priority over a solo player if there's a wait list.

Niced: (2)