Old 07-04-2017, 11:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 43.6
Courses Played: 293
Niced 490 Times in 274 Posts

It seems to me that hole lengths are the best indicator of whether a course is appropriate for a particular player's skill level. It doesn't take long at all for players to figure out how far they can throw, or how long the holes are that they like.

I don't know that anything we could come up with would be better.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 07-04-2017, 01:51 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 346
Niced 210 Times in 83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
So, I haven't read through this entire thread, but the use of elitist is... elitist. Saying that someone is a snob, or elitist because they're an expert in something is paving the highway to hell. It's stupid beyond belief.
You're getting elitist and elite mixed up. Elitist does not necessarily equate to expert. Someone who ploclaims they or their ideas are better because they aggrandize themselves or their ideas is much different that someone who demonstrates through practice or peer review that they are the best at something.

Old 07-05-2017, 03:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 169
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 146 Times in 75 Posts
Send a message via AIM to New013

I'm also against the level option. On top of the multiple layouts courses can have and varying pin positions a single layout can have holes of varying difficulty.

On top of that you're asking mostly Am players to make that distinction.

On top of that you're asking people to agree on one standard and even if you wrote it out in bold people will still go with however they feel.

If you look at the hole lengths/par and read the reviews, you should easily have an idea of difficulty without throwing in more sub classifications.

Breaking everything down like some of you want to actually ends up informing people less because it further complicates the process and gives people more ideas they have to understand to not only read the reviews but write them.

IMO the site should be aiming to embrace the opinion of people who are new to the sport and the site; and adding more and more classifications to know before you review will hinder that.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:43 AM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 126
Niced 268 Times in 171 Posts
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_

Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post
I'm also against the level option. On top of the multiple layouts courses can have and varying pin positions a single layout can have holes of varying difficulty.

On top of that you're asking mostly Am players to make that distinction.
While I agree with this 100%, it's interesting to see that you among others think that all reviews should count the same.

If you are going to one hand say "am players shouldn't decide difficulty" then you shouldn't on the other hand say "all reviews should be identical."

I will add, however, that difficulty is one of most mis-understood things in disc golf. Difficulty, IMHO, is the difference between Par and SSA, not simply what course par is.

A course with a par of 54 with an SSA of 50 is way more difficult than a course with a par of 62 and SSA of 54, even though scoring on the second course will be higher.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:14 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 206
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 458 Times in 258 Posts

When did ratings become about difficulty? If that were the case, Winton Woods should be a 1 at best. I'm admittedly a chucker at this point, and I can regularly score in the low 40s there with a putter.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 43.6
Courses Played: 293
Niced 490 Times in 274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
A course with a par of 54 with an SSA of 50 is way more difficult than a course with a par of 62 and SSA of 54, even though scoring on the second course will be higher.
For predicting the enjoyment of a course, I don't think that's the kind of difficulty that matters. Basically, holes are less and less fun after six throws. Even if par is 7. What people want to know is whether they can finish the course in a reasonable number of throws.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:32 AM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 126
Niced 268 Times in 171 Posts
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
For predicting the enjoyment of a course, I don't think that's the kind of difficulty that matters. Basically, holes are less and less fun after six throws. Even if par is 7. What people want to know is whether they can finish the course in a reasonable number of throws.
Agreed.

So what does the course ratings rate?

Is based on enjoyment? Is it based on the experience the park provides? Is it challenge? Is it ease of navigation?

This is why I proposed what I did. If you asked 100 people, you would get different answers.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 252
Niced 561 Times in 337 Posts

Is it safe to say this (or any) site can't be all things to all people?

As a long time member and contributor, I'm all for improving the site, and applaud Tim for being receptive to what our suggestions. I'm a pretty detail oriented person, and while I like the idea of quantifying certain aspects of a given course in theory, being able to use it effectively in practice will be something else altogether.

Numerous times in this thread, it's been pointed out that trying to compartmentalize various course characteristics, by pretty much any grouping of people, is at it's core, HIGHLY SUBJECT TO INTERPRETATION... by both the author, and the reader ...and in a number of different ways, to boot.

I genuinely see both sides of this coin, and tried to come up with a way to advance the issue without totally overhauling the way the review/rating process works. But sometimes, simple is better.

I honestly think the current system provides more meaningful information to people who use the combination of reviews, pictures, and ratings as intended than trying to slice and dice the things into some sort of rubric would. If we choose to go that route, I really think what we'll end up with is a dead frog, as Biscoe quite eloquently put it.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 07-05-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.5
Courses Played: 124
Niced 736 Times in 397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
Agreed.

So what does the course ratings rate?

Is based on enjoyment? Is it based on the experience the park provides? Is it challenge? Is it ease of navigation?

This is why I proposed what I did. If you asked 100 people, you would get different answers.
All of the above, and more, in proportion to how much the reviewers value those aspects. With the expectation that users will value them in roughly the same proportions.

So if 10% of people think navigation is highly important, the ratings will be nudged 10% in that direction. It's an average of what people think is a good course.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38.6
Courses Played: 388
Niced 95 Times in 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noill Golf View Post
What does everyone think about a level designation for a course? Like a red level course or a gold level course. Should that be written in a review or checked off in a review or just listed on the course page..?
Fantastic idea, in theory, if you could find people qualified to do it accurately.

That quote about those not knowing history... that also applies to DGCR... There is the Course Levels thread from 2007.
And a "Does what the course is designed for..." thread. Start here and here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post
I'm also against the level option...
BUT on a practical level New013 makes a compelling argument that I also agree with. The average DGCR reviewer just doesn't have enough experience to make this designation accurately.

Biscoe also makes cogent points about why this is impractical in the real world of DGCR.