Old 07-21-2010, 02:44 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 17 Times in 10 Posts
Default New player throwing fast discs.

This is my first time posting on this board. I am a 5"3' male male who throws RHFH. I keep hearing on these boards to stay away from the following discs: Boss, Groove, Katana, Xcaliber, and the Nuke. Why are these so bad? I admit I dont know alot about what disc golf but I play once to twice a week. I have the following drivers in order of favorite: Groove, Boss, Xcaliber, Valkrie and Orc. I can throw all of them pretty good. I avaerage probally 350 with my Groove and 325 with the others. I think thats pretty good for a little guy like me. If these arent that great what would be some other good discs? Once again I am new to the game and really am curious about this. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2010, 03:15 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

The reason those discs are not great is because the were intended for people who already have correct form and have maxed out their distance with slower discs. Most people on here say you should be able to throw 400' at least before picking up one of the ultra high speed drivers.

Can anyone stop you from using those discs, no. I can tell you though its unlikely your distance and overall game will improve if you continue to torque those discs out to that distance. Discpeed made a great post in the overstable mid thread. You will never learn what is referred to as "touch". All the discs you listed except for maybe the Orc and Valkyrie you have to throw as hard as you can to get them to fly straight. My guess is because they all act very overstable, likely because you are not throwing them at the speed they are meant to be thrown at which is why they act overstable.

I used to torque the fast stuff too until I finally took advice given here and have improved greatly. I can now throw a mid-range 325 ft and can usually stretch my putter to 300ft.

If you have no motivation to get better and want to just keep it fun, there is nothing wrong with throwing the fast stuff. To each his own.

Last edited by Jax11; 07-21-2010 at 03:18 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:34 AM
Marketplace Guru

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 315
Niced 44 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcanter2376 View Post
This is my first time posting on this board. I am a 5"3' male male who throws RHFH. I keep hearing on these boards to stay away from the following discs: Boss, Groove, Katana, Xcaliber, and the Nuke. Why are these so bad? I admit I dont know alot about what disc golf but I play once to twice a week. I have the following drivers in order of favorite: Groove, Boss, Xcaliber, Valkrie and Orc. I can throw all of them pretty good. I avaerage probally 350 with my Groove and 325 with the others. I think thats pretty good for a little guy like me. If these arent that great what would be some other good discs? Once again I am new to the game and really am curious about this. Thanks in advance.
I too am relatively new to the game and I haven't been able to throw more than say, 300ft yet. But, I can't throw a groove or a nuke accurately. They are so overstable that they flip hard and flip fast. I fully prefer to throw an XL, a sidewinder or a leopard as they are some of the most forgiving discs I have found. As my form and strength improve, I may try again to throw the faster discs, but for now, I'm getting great distance and improving my form from cheaper and more stable discs. That said, I was throwing RHFH for a while, but have recently found that my RHBH (with better form and "coil") is actually giving me more distance and accuracy off the pad.

~j
ps, i'm 6'4'', if that matters.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:49 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 23
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Like you and many others, I threw a lot of forehand when I first started playing. For a lot of us, those higher speed discs SEEM to be a natural fit for the forehand technique. However, if you wish to stick with forehand, you will still want to develop your skills with slower discs and then work your way up. The ability to crank out a 350' drive with a boss doesn't mean you know how to throw a Boss; it simply means you have learned one throw with it. As you play more courses and are presented with more shots, you will find that your forehand drive with the fast discs won't work for everything.

I would suggest the annoying, yet very helpful advice I received from others on this site (regardless of throwing technique): Disc down to slower discs (mids and slow drivers) and really work on learning how to control your shot. At first, they will be somewhat difficult, but the time invested here will allow you to do even more going forward. I didn't like giving up my big forehand drives to play with mids, but I promise you I have cut so many strokes off my game since I did.

I don't have a lot of suggestions for good starting forehand discs as I switched to RHBH, but I know there are some out there. Good luck!
Old 07-21-2010, 04:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 87
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

^^ I don't think that there is any specific differences in throwing a disc forehand or backhand. With that being said, I always suggest either a Leopard or Eagle/Teebird as a good disc to learn starting out. Take the time and really learn proper form and technique and get those discs 300+ feet before moving to faster stuff. Let your Valk be your fastest disc in the bag for a while before adding back in the fast stuff. By this I mean like at least 6 months or longer. I have been throwing for over three years and the fastest disc I carry is a Wraith and even that may be a little too fast for me. However what I may or may not lack in distance is certainly made up with my accuracy. Being able to get a disc 350+ feet is one thing, to do it accurately is something else.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 33
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I too started out throwing FH with bosses and katanas and just recently made myself disc down. My advice, if you're looking for a slower disc to FH, go with a cyclone, I don't have a lot of experince with leopards, but I have a very hard time throwing a teebird FH, it seems to want to turn left and anny a lot, which I THINK (don't attack me) has to do with the torque of releasing FH and flicking. The cyclone is wayy more workable for me FH,

Just my 2 cents
Old 07-21-2010, 04:45 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 65
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to shoe59

Welcome to DGCR man.

I throw rhbh and rhfh, and in contrast with wolito's post I DO believe there is some difference in throwing forehand and backhand. That difference IMO is that it's a bit easier to generate *snap* with a forehand, especially for beginners. I would, however, suggest discing down a bit to something slower yet overstable. Some good choices would be a predator, firebird, starfire, or if you really want to learn more finesse and control -- an Eagle or Teebird (go premium plastic).
What you may or may not gain by throwing slower discs:
-more accuracy and consistency
-less skipping/flying past the hole 40 ft.
-improved mechanics and understanding of how a disc is meant to fly
-more controlled distance in the future from your faster discs once you learn how to throw them for real.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 122
Niced 431 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
Welcome to the board.

Height and size doesn't have much to do with how far you can throw a disc. I'm 6'4, but if you have better form than me, you will be able to out throw me. I play with people around your height that can throw BH drives past 400'.

The reason why those discs aren't recommended for beginners is they take a lot of power to get up to their proper cruising speed. Discs given a speed 10-13 rating, going by Innova's scale, are generally best for shots over 400'.

For shots 325-350', midranges or fairway drivers are more suitable, as this is the distance they're more designed for. Obviously you can use a faster disc to hit these distances, but a slower disc has the advantage of being easier to control, it will have less fade at the end to compensate for, you can throw it with less power to achieve the same distance and they will show form flaws better.

What some newer players don't realize, is that a disc that's too fast, too stable or both, can hide things they're doing wrong. If you're throwing the discs as hard as you can to get them as far as you do, this is probably the case with you. Players who do this usually use a combination of what's called Off Axis Torque, along with high arm speed and low snap. The result is the disc will come out of the arm fairly fast, will go fairly straight with maybe a bit of turnover, then fade back really hard. If you try out a disc like the Leopard, you might turn it over at first, but if you keep at it and clean up your throw you could eventually be throwing that Leopard further than your Boss, with less effort too.

Obviously this is me guessing a little, since I've never seen you throw, but the above is the most typical scenario and is the one I went through myself, along with countless others here. These days I can throw my driving putter (Wizard) as far as I threw my "distance driver" (Firebird) last year.

Last edited by Mike C; 07-21-2010 at 04:48 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:37 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 74
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

When selecting discs, remember that a heavier disc is always going to act more stable than a lighter one of the same mold. So if you've tried a fairway or control driver and had trouble flipping it over, try on that's 5 grams heavier.

The Predator, Firebird, etc. are still going to act overstable for a FHer, unless you're putting more than 350' of power into it. They're great control hyzer discs for FH, though, definitely. As said above, try a Champion Teebird, possibly in a higher weight than you normally would. A Champ Valkyrie can be flipped to a nice straight shot for you as well.

But there are plenty of drivers out there for FHers. Have you found a midrange/approach yet? I've flicked a Z-Wasp for a while, and I was able to flip that to flat most times. A new 180g Roc is a nice FH disc as well.

Lastly, check out a Rhyno. I flick my Pro and Champ Rhynos for awkward shots out of the brush. It's tough to get them to flip, which is nice.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 23
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to tstack10 Send a message via Yahoo to tstack10

5'7" ding

I have been doing more field workthis year than before. I've played off and on since college and throw wraith katana stalker. Just working on form in field and gaining distance but refining the lines to fit the shots you need is going to beotw important than Max d.