Old 09-15-2010, 03:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 7
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Throwing the Anhyzer - Technique and Form Questions

What do you adjust to get this throw to be reliable, and consistent?

I've been working in a field to get this throw as i have a katana and destroyer that are still waaay too overstable. when i throw them properly (with anhyzer), the discs turn over and fly as i would hope.....

question...
How do you throw this with proficiency? I've tried adjusting the disc in my hand (grip) and lower it in my palm (vs. regular throw)... this seems to work, but i lose power. My thumb seems to add an awkward feeling....

i've tried to adjust my wrist, but the "feel" of the throw seems awkward and seems to be contrary to the other wrist motions (nose down, slightly cocked backward, etc).

Suggestions?
(I searched for a solution, but most questions are about discs not grip/form)

Anhyzer - When the far edge of the disc is pointed UPWARD on a throw...
if right hand back hand the disc would be angled as such -> "\" (as opposed to a "hyzer" that is "/"; or downward facing)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2010, 04:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.6
Courses Played: 68
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm not quite sure I understand the question, you want to know how to do it but you don't want to know grip/form? Anhyzers have everything to do with form. Anhyzers can be thrown with stable (not overstable) discs, and understable discs. Adjusting to the stability of the disc requires form changes and power changes.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 7
Niced 48 Times in 21 Posts

Adjust your release angle using your shoulders. Your shoulders should follow the same plane as the initial trajectory of the disc. So, throwing an anhyzer will probably require you to arch your back a bit.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 31
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

I would strongly recommend working with slower, stable discs....like a Roc, Buzzz, Gazelle, Eagle, and so on. I tried to throw flex shots right off the bat with faster drivers and only frustrated myself. It seems to take alot of spin for the disc to hold in this line, when it really wants to "flex" out.

Throwing annys with stable mids (instead of using understable mids for turnovers) is a great way to get comfortable with the motion at a bit lower power requirement.

I tend to not arch so much but rather lift the release plane and pull a bit higher on the chest...and keep the nose down!
Old 09-15-2010, 04:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 81
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Here are the mistakes I see most people make when trying to throw an anhyzer:

1) Their brain doesn't trust that it will work so it won't let them aim left enough or high enough so they end up hitting what they're trying to anny around.
2) They don't follow through low. Their arm follows through straight around and it causes the disc to pull out of the anny way too soon.

In closing: If you really focus on where you need to aim and then put the disc out there with anny on it and a low follow through, then it will be a beautiful thing.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:08 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

throw a ROADRUNNER
Old 09-15-2010, 05:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 181
Niced 18 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinding View Post
1) Their brain doesn't trust that it will work so it won't let them aim left enough or high enough so they end up hitting what they're trying to anny around.
/\ This used to be a major problem for me. In field practice, I worked on the anhyzer a ton, and started turning them over like a horrible roller.

It took a while for me, but if you spend some time and throw a bunch of anhyzers, followed by rollers or vice versa, you should be able to figure out that "sweet spot" that is needed to hit the anhyzer line.

Another thing that helped me was to mentally "commit" to the shot before taking the first step in your approach/run up/whatever. If you can convince your brain that you only want to throw an anhyzer, you will build the brain and muscle memory to do it consistently.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:30 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 16
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Discraft has the anhyzer video if you havn't already seen it. It is found here: http://www.discraft.com/vid/html/dg17.html
Old 09-15-2010, 05:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 17
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Is it just me, or did they just basically say use either a beat version of this disc, or this disc, or cheat and use forehand?

I didnt seem to feel like I got a lot out of that video.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,061 Times in 325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
Adjust your release angle using your shoulders. Your shoulders should follow the same plane as the initial trajectory of the disc. So, throwing an anhyzer will probably require you to arch your back a bit.
This.

Watch some elite pros throw anny's (NOT turnover shots) and you'll see this technique is pretty common.