Old 12-11-2018, 11:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.7
Niced 929 Times in 413 Posts

yeah. I'm sitting here with one of each and I think it is a Cobra, too. The newer Cobras have different tooling underneath but the older ones are identical to your photo.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 12-11-2018, 11:20 PM
Reptilian Disc Golf

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 580 Times in 221 Posts

Snagged this "remake" Roc the other day at PIAS.

It's flat, semi gummy & feels super compact.

Anyone else thrown one of these?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181207_121156.jpg (131.7 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 20181207_121226.jpg (83.4 KB, 68 views)
Old 12-12-2018, 11:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 44
Niced 667 Times in 389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcassidy1990 View Post

Isn't that just a bog standard Star Rancho Roc? I mean, it sounds like you got a "good" one in that it's not super domey, but otherwise what makes it a remake? Just the fact that Innova doesn't print many of these anymore? I'm pretty sure they still do limited runs and there's still lots of old stock out there at retailers that's been sitting around forever.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:24 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,452 Times in 746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheshilton View Post
Isn't that just a bog standard Star Rancho Roc? I mean, it sounds like you got a "good" one in that it's not super domey, but otherwise what makes it a remake? Just the fact that Innova doesn't print many of these anymore? I'm pretty sure they still do limited runs and there's still lots of old stock out there at retailers that's been sitting around forever.
Innova attempted to replicate the 01 CE Rocs with the run Jamie's referencing. They were produced in incredibly limited numbers. There is a bog standard Star Rancho. They're the domey turds everyone else is mentioning.

And thanks for the correction, 3P. I feel stupid not remembering that even the X-out USDGC Rocs get USDGC stamps.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-12-2018, 12:27 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 54 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Ummm...I hate to be that guy, but that disc is a Cobra.
Quote:
I mean I like Cobras and Champ Cobras are still cool. It's just, you know...Roc thread.
Hey, I'm just glad I know what it is now. Never handled an ontario roc, so I wasn't sure how much different the mold was than a rancho. It definitely felt like a roc, but a little less bulky.

How could you tell so easily?
Old 12-12-2018, 02:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 31
Niced 351 Times in 178 Posts

Quote:
Ummm...I hate to be that guy, but that disc is a Cobra.
Well f*** me.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:07 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.1
Courses Played: 136
Niced 2,805 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebat View Post
Hey, I'm just glad I know what it is now. Never handled an ontario roc, so I wasn't sure how much different the mold was than a rancho. It definitely felt like a roc, but a little less bulky.

How could you tell so easily?
Two things, as tbird888 mentioned I've never seen a USDGC Roc with a regular X-Out stamp. The only Champ Ontario's I remember were USDGC Rocs.

For me though the true tell was the tooling. I'm old enough to remember back when Innova discs had no underside markings beside the weight. Custom stamped discs often had an ink stamp on the underside telling you the mold, but that was hit or miss. One of the easiest disc confusion combinations was the Cobra and ORoc, they have a lot of similarities. The tooling is different, though. The last number in the zip code of the ORoc tooling is kinda under the "s" in discs while the last number of the zip code of the Cobra tooling is outside of the comma after discs. Back in the day if was just an easy thing to remember if you were not great at noticing the other differences, which I wasn't. Tooling was your easy ID until about the mid-90's when all the Rancho tooling started to look the same.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 18
Niced 560 Times in 323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcassidy1990 View Post

Profile please. Let us know how it throws if you don't choose to keep it pristine.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:28 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 54 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Two things, as tbird888 mentioned I've never seen a USDGC Roc with a regular X-Out stamp. The only Champ Ontario's I remember were USDGC Rocs.

For me though the true tell was the tooling. I'm old enough to remember back when Innova discs had no underside markings beside the weight. Custom stamped discs often had an ink stamp on the underside telling you the mold, but that was hit or miss. One of the easiest disc confusion combinations was the Cobra and ORoc, they have a lot of similarities. The tooling is different, though. The last number in the zip code of the ORoc tooling is kinda under the "s" in discs while the last number of the zip code of the Cobra tooling is outside of the comma after discs. Back in the day if was just an easy thing to remember if you were not great at noticing the other differences, which I wasn't. Tooling was your easy ID until about the mid-90's when all the Rancho tooling started to look the same.
Wow, thanks for that info! Very cool to know. Now where do I find some more of these flat champ cobras?! Since we are in the roc thread, I have three Ontarios on the way Has anyone throw the somewhat recent run of Ontario's with the Roc on America stamp? Not sure when they were released, but I feel like maybe in the last year?

Old 12-13-2018, 12:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 44
Niced 667 Times in 389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
Innova attempted to replicate the 01 CE Rocs with the run Jamie's referencing. They were produced in incredibly limited numbers. There is a bog standard Star Rancho. They're the domey turds everyone else is mentioning.

And thanks for the correction, 3P. I feel stupid not remembering that even the X-out USDGC Rocs get USDGC stamps.
I remember that run being made but I couldn't figure out why JCass was sure his was one of those since the stamp is exactly the same as a regular Star Rancho Roc and he bought it at PIAS (and it's true that a lot of Star Ranchos are domey turds, but I've owned and handled a few that had nice, even domes as well). Anyway, I had to look it up, but apparently the pen of just the "*" on the bottom is the key to knowing it's an 01 remake (as well as being flatter and gummy, but those are both more subjective and not sure indicators). Gotta learn something new every day right?