Old 08-07-2014, 11:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 153 Times in 106 Posts
Default Form Update

hey guys, this is where i'm going to be working on my form from now on.

i took some video the other day; for some reason photobucket didn't upload them all but i got a couple (bad) ones. the good drives i'm still waiting on to go through. for the most part my form is the same throughout so i'll just post up the ones that are currently available.

here are the main takeaways i'm getting -

i don't drive through. basically i've changed my form in such a way that i'm channeling all my momentum up through my right foot and then pulling with my lower back/lat to get a little more oomph. but it's changed the drive from a forward motion to a slightly rounded pulling motion, and i am sure i am losing power. it also seems to be throwing me off balance through arching my back on the follow through, sending my left foot wide.

i feel balanced whenever i throw and i feel smooth, for the part effortless... but it's funny how when you actually look at it, you're way off.

i'm seeing here problems that have plagued me throughout various athletic pursuits - namely the big one, the back arching. kind of frustrating, actually. can't seem to get away from it. maybe i should see a physical therapist or something; all my attempts to correct this by building up my core and attempting to release my lower back/hip flexors in the past have failed. it's not a huge deal, just kind of a pain in the ass.

video 1 - flubbed anny shot with kc aviar. went far enough, just not in the right direction.

i didn't actually wait for the weight shift in that last one; i was trying to throw while staying on both feet and driving the hips, but i just can't for some reason.

you'll have to click on the pics to get to the videos, sorry. still haven't figured this whole video thing out.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Kodachrome; 08-07-2014 at 11:42 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:44 PM
* Ace Member *

video 2 - standstill polecat

video 3 - dx roc

video 4 - destroyer

the drives go far enough and i feel controlled enough despite all of these being less than stellar drives. these were actually the only flubbed drives of the round. i just want more distance, more consistency. video 4 went behind the second telephone post into the woods, so anybody who plays kaposia can tell you i'm doing just fine distance wise . . . i just know i have more in me.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:51 PM
* Ace Member *

hole 4, gstar teebird, paaaarrrrked!

kc roc

also if mods could please move this to form analysis since apparently i don't know how to forum lolz
Old 08-08-2014, 12:15 AM
* Ace Member *

hole 8 at KP again. first is destroyer, second is tesla. tesla is parked at short position on a big old hyzer that felt pretty good. destroyer was shanked farther right down by the road, also pin high on short position.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,429 Times in 1,515 Posts

IDK why the video playback sucks. You stride to the plant with your whole front side open and try to shift your weight from the front, instead of striding with the front foot closed and planting closed and shifting weight from behind you. You should feel balanced toward the toes forward. Doing that will add a lot of shoulder turn or have you reachback much further effectively.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Yeah, every time I try to plant closed, I feel like I'm going to twist my knee out of its socket...I'll keep trying though. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 52 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodachrome View Post
Yeah, every time I try to plant closed, I feel like I'm going to twist my knee out of its socket...I'll keep trying though. Thanks.
Turn on the heel then.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:54 AM
* Ace Member *

I arch my back and roll the wrist when I do that. Like I said, I will keep trying, but I def. Have imbalances that interfere with a good athletic stance and pull through the core. Anything else people are seeing? Or is that just the one glaring obvious thing?
Old 10-06-2014, 09:59 PM
* Ace Member *

So sick of throwing "far" with poor form. I went and did more field work today with some results, but I know they were only because I was really adding in some extra arm speed by pulling harder.

I have decided to go back to field work as the bulk of my throwing activity. I like just throwing discs and not worrying about score so for the rest of the year it will be 70% field work. I really need to learn how to activate my hips and pivot neatly without opening my feet. It's stupidly difficult for me and discouraging to come this far and hit this plateau not out of laziness, but because of how I trained my body to move from a young age. I think that if I slow down and keep my legs a bit closer together, I might be able to keep my feet and hips closed.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:11 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.1
Courses Played: 29
Niced 108 Times in 56 Posts

If you figure it out let me know. I have the same problem.