Old 06-21-2018, 11:41 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 172 Times in 93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinthrift View Post
I agree weight less than that of a penny is undetectable, but the issue for me is not the difference in 2 grams; it's the difference in 10 to 15 grams, at which there is a distinct difference in snap, RPMs and resulting disc flight. Almost all of the Deflectors are showing up at 175+ and I want one 10 grams lighter.

I was basing most of that on the fact that you said you throw mids 166-168 and the deflector couldn't be had sub 170.

But still...168 to 175? Still bet in a blind test, everything else equal, you're unable to tell which is which.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by jakebake91; 06-21-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:02 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 37 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
I was basing most of that on the fact that you said you throw mids 166-168 and the deflector couldn't be had sub 170.

But still...168 to 175? Still bet in a blind test, everything else equal, you're unable to tell which is which.
Coming to Am Worlds? If so, I'll take that bet, for any of Charlotte's fine brews. I'll prefer a porter.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:15 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinthrift View Post
Coming to Am Worlds? If so, I'll take that bet, for any of Charlotte's fine brews. I'll prefer a porter.
Unfortunately, that trips not in the budget this year. Otherwise, id love to! Im the 1st guy to admit he's wrong...so if that would indeed be the case, I'd eat my words and enjoy a nice cold brew with a fellow discer!

However, if you're indeed correct, you're likely in the minority
Old 06-21-2018, 02:02 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 44.4
Courses Played: 322
Niced 1,052 Times in 552 Posts

Quote:

After two rounds, my arm would hurt with the 175. Does that count?
Old 06-21-2018, 02:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 119
Niced 161 Times in 81 Posts

Quote:
. . . However, if you're indeed correct, you're likely in the minority
Let me give an example. When I am concentrating on the throw I often grab the wrong disc if I have two drivers of the same color and plastic. Yes, I can be an idiot.

Anyway one day I intended to throw a 167 S-FD and mistakenly grabbed a 157 Star Shryke, both orange Star plastic and domey.

When I threw the 157 gram disc, expecting the weight of a 167 gram disc, the release was massively late and I launched the Shryke off a hill into the woods, never to be seen again. Probably 25 to 30 degrees off line.

Once I figured out my mistake I grabbed the 167 S-FD and hit the line just fine.

The opposite mistake - 10 grams heavier than I expect - has less dramatic results but usually a slight early release.

I don't know whether I'm in the majority or minority but I know of a few folks who are quite sensitive to weights.

Remember that force = mass x acceleration so we are talking about the acceleration of a full-power throw, not just the acceleration of gravity that yields the 10-gram difference in weight. It is much easier to tell weight differences when throwing discs versus just picking discs up to gauge the weight.

And porter is an excellent choice of beer.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-21-2018, 04:00 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 12
Niced 355 Times in 204 Posts

I definitely prefer drivers at 170g or less, mids around 175.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-27-2018, 12:46 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post
Let me give an example. When I am concentrating on the throw I often grab the wrong disc if I have two drivers of the same color and plastic. Yes, I can be an idiot.

Anyway one day I intended to throw a 167 S-FD and mistakenly grabbed a 157 Star Shryke, both orange Star plastic and domey.

When I threw the 157 gram disc, expecting the weight of a 167 gram disc, the release was massively late and I launched the Shryke off a hill into the woods, never to be seen again. Probably 25 to 30 degrees off line.

Once I figured out my mistake I grabbed the 167 S-FD and hit the line just fine.

The opposite mistake - 10 grams heavier than I expect - has less dramatic results but usually a slight early release.

I don't know whether I'm in the majority or minority but I know of a few folks who are quite sensitive to weights.

Remember that force = mass x acceleration so we are talking about the acceleration of a full-power throw, not just the acceleration of gravity that yields the 10-gram difference in weight. It is much easier to tell weight differences when throwing discs versus just picking discs up to gauge the weight.

And porter is an excellent choice of beer.

Or, you just flat out shanked a drive?? Just saying its possible.

Im not arguing that major weight differences (i.e 10+ grams) aren't noticeable. My original point is that the majority of discers cant tell the difference in a few grams either way.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 119
Niced 161 Times in 81 Posts

Quote:
Or, you just flat out shanked a drive?? Just saying its possible.
Well anything is possible. And certainly not my first bad drive ever.

But this was pretty dramatic. To the point that I was pi$$ed and laughing at the same time.

Quote:
Im not arguing that major weight differences (i.e 10+ grams) aren't noticeable. My original point is that the majority of discers cant tell the difference in a few grams either way.
No disagreement there.